Time to buy a new pickup?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ram has been offering 3 years interest free for awhile. GM has 7 years interest free. No idea what ford is offering because come on who buys a ford. jk ford owners, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Wonder if Ram will come out with a better deal.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep thinking the same thing, and then I go look at the prices and realize I'll be waiting a quarter, or two.

BTW, I'm looking to get a new F250 diesel. There were some decent discounts to get rid of the remaining 2019's just a couple weeks ago. Now you are pretty much looking at the 2020 models and there aren't much in the way of discounts, yet.

I suspect the big 3 will be waiting anxiously for 1st qtr sales numbers before announcing rebates through the summer/fall.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at the 2019 Ram tradesman 2500 or 3500 diesel. I've felt they've got some pretty good discounts yet. Mine will eventually be a work pickup so don't need anything to fancy. I probably shouldn't wait to long or all the 19s will be gone. I figure if I put 10 or 15k down I'll pay the rest off in the 3 years.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never seen so many USED Pickups at the local dealer on my drive by every once in a while. 1/2 and 3/4 tons. A year ago I couldn't find a half way descent used 3/4 ton. Now they are all over.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep thinking the same thing, and then I go look at the prices and realize I'll be waiting a quarter, or two.

BTW, I'm looking to get a new F250 diesel. There were some decent discounts to get rid of the remaining 2019's just a couple weeks ago. Now you are pretty much looking at the 2020 models and there aren't much in the way of discounts, yet.

I suspect the big 3 will be waiting anxiously for 1st qtr sales numbers before announcing rebates through the summer/fall.

Muscatell-Burns has an XLT crew 6.75' box for $53. Luther has a couple of crew/6.75' Lariats for $57ish.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m getting my ducks in a row. There should be something coming down the pipe. You will have to get through the sales line of “well there not making more right now”. Haha

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it ain’t broke...

That new 1/2 ton Chev diesel sure has been getting a glance from me... 29 on the highway for a 4x4. I'm a Ford guy through and through, but legit 29 on the highway is something to think about. Could get rid of a work car and my current pickup and have everything all in one.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
T.........................I'm a Ford guy through and through, ..............

Why wouldn't you just get the ford version of there F150 with the 3.0L diesel? I would expect if everything is equal, they likely get within a couple mpg of each other and when your approaching 30 mpg, a difference of one or two mpg doesn't mean much.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muscatell-Burns has an XLT crew 6.75' box for $53. Luther has a couple of crew/6.75' Lariats for $57ish.

Reasonably attractive pricing, but I need the front bench seat. And I don't need the snowplow setup or the Ford 5th wheel crap.
It's really amazing to see the differences between dealership in what crap they think they need to put on every pickup in the lot.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree Allen. A few years ago when shopping, maybe one pickup out of 100 had a mid-size box w a full four door cab. Pissed me off.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ford will be the next in the bail out line . They are one more blip away from death . Stock at 4.58 now

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ford will be the next in the bail out line . They are one more blip away from death . Stock at 4.58 now

Kurt your sounding like me now --- dooom and gloomm --- as far as buying -- i agree and would wait until you know where the bottom is.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The last new pickup I bought (less than 2 year ago) the dealer didn't have one that was equipped the way I wanted so I just ordered one. Same price and same discounts. Had to wait about 2 months for delivery but got what I wanted for the same price.

When is the best time to buy? Whenever the itch needs scratching. Even dealers don't know when specials are going to be offered. You can buy one day and the next day there might be a different offer, better or worse.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt your sounding like me now --- dooom and gloomm --- as far as buying -- i agree and would wait until you know where the bottom is.

I'm thinking one's reaction time better be lightning fast. Because if there's good news - it's going to be a rocket ship.

- - - Updated - - -

Corwin and Luther have a real difficult time selling me trucks. I get handed off the "the new guy" or "the old retired guy who has trouble walking" just about every time. Probably because I'm not wearing a suit. When I want to explore options they get on the same web site as I have access to at home - then offer me the same prices as posted on that web site.

How exciting.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll never buy a new vehicle again. Not gonna get bent over and watch the dollar signs disappear when I drive off the lot. Maybe if it was for business purposes and tax write off but definitely not for personal use. Slightly used will do me just fine thank you very much.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree Allen. A few years ago when shopping, maybe one pickup out of 100 had a mid-size box w a full four door cab. Pissed me off.
I'm with ya on this. You can get them now because they finally listened to the customers screaming from dealerships across the country. Well, everyone except toyota, unfortunately. So its a ext cab for me to get the 6.5ft box. Gotta fit that ice house!

Kid car seats are temporary.........or at least thats my logic.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll never buy a new vehicle again. Not gonna get bent over and watch the dollar signs disappear when I drive off the lot. Maybe if it was for business purposes and tax write off but definitely not for personal use. Slightly used will do me just fine thank you very much.

Naturally aspirated gas motor, I agree. 5.0L/6.2L ford, 5.3/6.2 GM, 5.7 Ram/Toyota, 5.6 Nissan are all reasonably reliable and simple. Change the oil, use quality filters and just drive them. Not much of an issue buying slightly (or more) used.

If going diesel or turbo gas, I'd want to know everything that's put in, taken out, when, and by whom. Additionally, I want a turbo(s) (gas or diesel) that's been given sufficient warm-up and cool-down before and after any kind of "work". I wouldn't buy a diesel truck with just a few thousand miles on it if the previous owner happened to be a chronic idler and/or short-tripper who routinely plugged up the DPF and/or EGR.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74