Corona Virus....How Long?

How long does Coronavirus get worse before it gets better?

• Less than one month

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • two to six months

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Six months to a year

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Over a year

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2 Years or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coalburner

Honored Member
Are we talking virus only or economic impacts
If we begin opening things up first of April - I believe it will take the economy 9-12 months to recover. I really don’t believe we can afford to shut things down longer than that without risking long term damage.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
We will hear good news on Good Friday. Back to work with restrictions on April 12th. Economy starts to pick up pace late May. Summertime early fall economy fully recovers. Trump 2024

Redneck1

We could also close our N.D. borders and build a wall to keep infected non residents out of our state.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer do you have kids in school? My kids are older so this doesn't include me as much but if you have a younger family with kids in elementary and possibly little ones at home I don't want them going back to school until I know for sure this crap is over. Little kids aren't overly concerned about hygiene and teachers can't watch every moment. Sending them back before this is on the decline will do nothing but kick it back into gear

Except that hasn't been proven. There's a great article in the Strib interviewing the former state epidemiologist regarding the pandemic. He says that closing schools long-term will do more harm than good. He even shows the difference between Singapore and Hong Kong, one of which closed schools and the other didn't. Rate of transmission was the same.

I do have a young family. I'm home right now trying to keep my kindergartner's mind and body in gear so he can get to first grade with some semblance of preparedness. My 3.5-year-old daughter is in daycare (thank God those are still open) and she has better hand-washing technique than most adults I know!

Look, I don't want to put them in harm's way. I get the risks. What I'm saying is this day-to-day, duck-and-cover stuff can only last so long before someone has to ask the question, "until when?" We need goals, objectives, timelines, whatever. Some metric stick to know if we're going forward or backward.

As it stands, well, we're just standing.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
June. I think we got behind. I was as wrong as wrong could be when this first started I thought it was just another bullshit deal. It’s easy for us to sit here and Monday morning qb. Lots of hard decisions to be made

Me too. I still think the panic is manufactured, but the medical numbers, and the economic impact can not be ignored. As of now, there are 36 cases in ND, and about 18 in my vicinity.

I never would have believed this two weeks ago. Olympics were postponed yesterday. Las Vegas is shuttered. My kids are in their second week of school closure.

It is surreal, to be sure.

I DID get vehicles vacuumed out last night, which happens nearly never.

Anyhow, I would like to fast-forward about a month, and look back at the beginning of the end, of the medical portion of this pandemic. The economic portion? Matt, you know better than we do.. What do YOU think?

- - - Updated - - -

major virus impacts US - 30 days
economic impact - steady upward trends 90 days - close to full recovery 9 months

I hope you're right.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Matt's gotta be shitting his pants right now and planning on a perpetual trip to the father in laws that might last all summer. I certainly wouldn't want to be answering his phone right meow

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is potentially coming to ND people, the ramps in Bismarck are unbelievably busy, fox island which is basically in a residential neighborhood has been packed and that is putting it mildly, its a virus contamination disaster happening as I type. Just wait until fishing gets good, it will be insanity on the river and at local ramps.
Say what you want, but anything crowded with lots of people is not smart, and it seems like hunting or fishing brings out the stupid in people,obviously that has been proven on MANY threads on this site. We really are in survival mode right now as a country, at least financially, so God bless everyone and please stay safe and be smart.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241515131.html

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Matt's gotta be shitting his pants right now and planning on a perpetual trip to the father in laws that might last all summer. I certainly wouldn't want to be answering his phone right meow

Going to work every day not hating life actually. I have to lock my door because of "The Virus", but I spend most of my day on the phone. I feel more needed than when the market was doing nothing but moving up actually. Bringing in $$$ and putting it to work. I'd head to my place on the Rainy, but they shut the damn ramps because of "The Virus". The thing won't last forever.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just giving you shit. Envious and not at the same time in these times. Keep on keeping on!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Restaurants are a low margin business a lot of the times. When I was in the Corps and taking some college coursework, one of my favorite teachers was a retired CPA who specialized in restaurants. Kind of made sure I never wanted to own one after taking a few classes from him.

That last part though seems to be strictly me, how many restaurant setups do we collectively know about in populated areas that don't have a new proprietor in the door within a few months to a year of a given restaurant calling it quits? Most of the time a restaurant fails can be attributed to too high of overhead (paying too much for the lease or property purchase), the old Green Mill in Bismarck seemed like a great example of that. I went there often and thought they were doing a brisk business, and then they closed (some of which may have been the new no-smoking laws). I heard once how much the bank that's now there paid for that lot and it all made sense, nobody in their right mind would pay that much for a restaurant location. But a bank sure will, and what do you know...they're still in business.

One local exception is the old downtown Pond/Lucky Ducks here in Bismarck. Again, heard once what the owner was asking for it and just about died laughing. Sounded like a surefire recipe for bankruptcy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75