The GOOD things & changes you're seeing in this mess?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like there is going to be A LOT of garage sales this summer

Redneck1

I've taken the oppurtunity to demo the 500sf backyard deck. Now I hope I can purchase new decking and put it all back together. _3641.jpg

bilbo

Honored Member
The getting outside & workout deal has also been a good change I agree. Lots more people out and about, even for a walk. My perspective has changed during it too. I went for a lunch gravel bike ride, short, 30 minutes. Incredible day, warm, hardly any wind. Strange for the world to be so upside down but things so nice. Since my gym is closed, have had to change up some things at home too. More motivated, something different. I need to get a pullup bar in the garage. Since so many people LOVE bicyclists on here (sarcasm), you'd be happy to note I'm now Zwifting inside on the crappy days. Won't be hogging anyone's road! But activity level among many people seems to have increased, with more family activities too. Good stuff.

It has forced me to find different ways to get my exercise in. Normally, I'm still in the gym a lot this time of year, but this year I have to be outside. And I've discovered I build a ride or run in the cold into something much worse than it is inside my head. Once I get going, I realize it's not so bad. I'm fortunate I have all the gear for it, but it's made me realize I've become softer in the last couple years. It's nice to see others out in the cold/rain/etc. too. Never saw that before. I went for a run yesterday in the drizzle and saw two others running and multiple folks walking. I don't have Zwift, just a dumb trainer. Man I hate that thing. But, it looks like this weekend I might be able to get my road bike outside! I've done a couple short gravel rides on the MTB but it will be nice to take a longer ride.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m guessing the birth rate in the nation will explode 9 months from now

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not much has changed for me. Farm and ranch and life goes on. Don’t care for people anyway so hasn’t been a big chore to stay around the yard.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storms like this can either culture your mind or they can make you lose your mind so we are making the best of this bad storm. My bride and I decided this is a perfect time for a second honeymoon and we are acting like teenagers again and smiling and joking a whole lot more like we did when we were kids. In my spare time I'm doing those types of projects that you never get around to unless there is a big blizzard. My main pastime has been sorting through rocks, artifacts and fossils so we can divide them up for kids and grandkids. Every time I find one that I remember when and where I found it the first time brings back fond memories and a smile like I am living that day all over again.

We are embracing the important things in life again and that Life is good and shouldn't be taken for granted. This isn't our first storm, We were young and wealthy once and just overnight we didn't have two nickels to rub together. That was in the 80s oil crash. That was a big storm for a few people, It wiped my bride and I out financially, I was 100% vested in a profit sharing retirement plan that would have allowed me to retire at 55 and most likely just live off the interest. The outfit I was working for went bankrupt and we found out our retirement wasn't secure and our dreams and money were only dust in the wind .

My bride and I have had many discussions of those days and what we learned from it, There was so much more pride back then, We worked our fingers to the bone and didn't default on any of those 12% bank loans and it made us stronger. We have been retired and hunkered down and happy to stay home for a the last couple of years so when I go to town shopping and run into old friends that I hardly ever see I get asked do you still live around here or do you go down south for the winter so not much has changed in our lifestyle.

This isn't the end of the world , It will make us stronger, wiser and more ambitious in the end.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or the divorce rate .....

I overheard a gal in the store today belittling and talking down to her significant other over something so stupid I was thinking the same thing.

I can't imagine being with someone like her at all, and she wasn't even attractive!

And no, I wasn't being snoopy...she was just that loud.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy, if you can’t stand to be with your husband or wife for a couple weeks, maybe you shouldn’t be married.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storms like this can either culture your mind or they can make you lose your mind so we are making the best of this bad storm. My bride and I decided this is a perfect time for a second honeymoon and we are acting like teenagers again and smiling and joking a whole lot more like we did when we were kids. In my spare time I'm doing those types of projects that you never get around to unless there is a big blizzard. My main pastime has been sorting through rocks, artifacts and fossils so we can divide them up for kids and grandkids. Every time I find one that I remember when and where I found it the first time brings back fond memories and a smile like I am living that day all over again.

We are embracing the important things in life again and that Life is good and shouldn't be taken for granted. This isn't our first storm, We were young and wealthy once and just overnight we didn't have two nickels to rub together. That was in the 80s oil crash. That was a big storm for a few people, It wiped my bride and I out financially, I was 100% vested in a profit sharing retirement plan that would have allowed me to retire at 55 and most likely just live off the interest. The outfit I was working for went bankrupt and we found out our retirement wasn't secure and our dreams and money were only dust in the wind .

My bride and I have had many discussions of those days and what we learned from it, There was so much more pride back then, We worked our fingers to the bone and didn't default on any of those 12% bank loans and it made us stronger. We have been retired and hunkered down and happy to stay home for a the last couple of years so when I go to town shopping and run into old friends that I hardly ever see I get asked do you still live around here or do you go down south for the winter so not much has changed in our lifestyle.

This isn't the end of the world , It will make us stronger, wiser and more ambitious in the end.

I like how you said that these times can "cultivate" our minds. That's a great way to think about it!

When I was first married, we got hit hard by the "great recession". We had just bought a house and had a job that was supposed to be my life-long career. But, we ended up losing the house and getting pushed out of the job. And like you said, we let those experiences cultivate our minds. We are so much better off now than before. I kinda feel sorry for people who don't really get to endure trials. I feel like most of the good that I am today is because of the mistakes that I've made, or mistakes that I've seen those close to me make. Me and my family will definitely be better after this whole thing is over. I look forward to those days with anticipation!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74