Best 31 series batteries for 36 volt trolling motors.

Honored Member
What is everyone's experience with 31 series batteries for their 36volt systems? It seems like the VMAXs have the best reserve capacity by far,265RC, at $350.00 a battery. Interstate wet cells come in second at 210 reserve capacity at $150.00. I can't see spending $460.00 on the north stars and odysseys.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know what they cost now but the Trojan 31’s were the best I’ve had

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The two of the best have already been mentioned. Trojan and Vmax. I’ve used both and will give both a thumbs up.�� v-max does offer some odd/ upgraded sizes so make sure you check the dimensions and make sure they’ll fit. V-max tank solved a low voltage issue where I didn’t have room for two house/starter batteries. In our sled trailer with heaters, lights, cold weather, and so forth, I run Trojans. I’ve no complaints with interstate and have ordered there better batteries for years but if you want to step up. The other two are the way to go!

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sams Club AGM's are what I found to be the best.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the money. Sam's club Duracell 31 AGM, $159 on sale right now.
Bought some yesterday.
Have had great luck with thier 31 wet calls as well and they are on sale for something like $70.
Are there better more expensive ones with more capacity sure. But they all last about the same 5-7 years on average if you take care of them.
And those Duracells will easily last all day running hard.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought some yesterday.
Have had great luck with thier 31 wet calls as well and they are on sale for something like $70.
Are there better more expensive ones with more capacity sure. But they all last about the same 5-7 years on average if you take care of them.

I bought those Duracell AGM a couple weeks ago and have only been out once, but so far so good. I've heard great things about these batteries so can't wait to see what they can do on the lake this summer running the trolling motor all day.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do a lot of people go with the AGM batteries, just the no maintenance part of it, or do they need to be mounted in a certain way? Seems like wet cells have a longer run time and higher discharge life.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought some yesterday.

I’m on my fourth year of Duracell 31’s wet cells. No complaints here.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do a lot of people go with the AGM batteries, just the no maintenance part of it, or do they need to be mounted in a certain way? Seems like wet cells have a longer run time and higher discharge life.

Double the life while being maintenance free. Just don’t let them sit dead. You will ruin them that way.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you really think double the life? I just pulled these 7 year old regular deep cycles, charged them and tested them and they are still good to go. And they're interstates and I hate interstates, must have been the last of the good ones! I do like the maintenance free aspect of AGM batteries though that's for sure!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my gels are resistant to discharge death

yeah.... my batteries and I are kind of a big deal in the fishing world
meandmybatteries.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you really think double the life? I just pulled these 7 year old regular deep cycles, charged them and tested them and they are still good to go. And they're interstates and I hate interstates, must have been the last of the good ones! I do like the maintenance free aspect of AGM batteries though that's for sure!

If you don’t use your boat and keep them charged wet cells last a long time. How many hours on that rig the last 7 years;-)

Discharge and recharge cycles is what I was referring to. Dad’s going on a decade with his AGMs with no failure in sight.

Last edited:

Honored Member
AGMs are supposed to have twice the life of a wet cell if they are cycled often. However I've found more wet cells with a better reserve capacity which is what a guy needs for his trolling motors. Also, no one states what the specs are on the batteries they are using, only that they seem to work good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76