Considering Camper Remodel

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a mid-2000's Gulfstream Ameri-Lite that we were gifted. Barely ever use it. More of a tent or back of the truck under the topper kind of guy. But with the current social conditions, thinking I may be using it a lot more for work instead of staying in hotels when I'm on the road for fieldwork. Want to upgrade a few things if I'm going to be spending more time in it.

Anyone have any hot tips on mods they've done to a smallish camper?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have never done one but the first place I might start would be a camper supply store. Might find some nice ideas that will lead to a good remodel. If possible buying some pre-made stuff might bee easier as some campers are very thoughtful about using space the most economically.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storage is always at a premium, but, if I had to "live" in it, I'd want more than the 6 or 10gal hot water tank. I'd also try to figure some way to have a good grill, maybe some sort of receiver-hitch rack on the back bumper?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storage is my main concern. The bed frame is hinged at the head to access the water tank, and I've build dividers under there to store totes. The grill is a good idea. A mini camp grill is ok for a night or two, but like you said if I'm living in that thing for a week or more I'll need more cooking real estate

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably want to have a griddle-plate for the grill as well so you can cook breakfast outside too.

I have a camper on a permanent spot with electric hookup that allows me to run AC full-time and I still try to do every bit of cooking outside so as not to heat up the inside.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two 30 gallon propane tanks.

Yep, no problem having them out on the tongue as they'er not stealing space for anything else.

Given that you mentioned hotels, I'm assuming you're going to be parking the RV in some sort of RV park. That being the case, make sure your AC gets good and cold, if not, clean out the fins really well, if it still doesn't cool well, replace it. It's maybe a 90min job by yourself and 60min or less with a partner.

4-bolts and an electrical plug. Pull the old one. Give everything a good cleaning (vacuum with a wand here), then bolt the new one into place. Plug it in, seal up w/alumized duct tape and re-install the cover inside.

If you haven't already upgraded the mattress, at a minimum you can add a memory foam topper for ~$100.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are doing it for work and are camping in the rough (not a campground), I'd be sure to add an outside shower. Being a bigger person, I fugging hate every camper shower I've ever been in.

And yeah, finding a camper mounted grill/griddle setup would be a great idea. I have one and it's worth it to permanently mount a bracket right outside the door. Talk to a local camper store about some examples for what will suit you best.

Go to Walmart and get yourself a 10x10 ft (or greater) outside carpet for in front of the door. They fold up great and beat the holy hell out of dealing with mud at the front door. Also, pick up one of those stackable plastic, lego-like leveling kits. They are awesome!

Again, if you are roughing it, consider a solar panel to help keep the battery topped off. I'm pretty sure that running a fridge on propane requires electricity for the thermostat. There's always some vampire draw on your battery when roughing it. You should be able to charge your battery by plugging it into the pickup and letting the pickup run, but that's an expensive and noisy way to charge a battery.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76