Landing net

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'm going to break down and buy a better landing net and could use some recommendations. My old net is in good shape and I really like the rubber net compared to the string net I replaced with it but the handle is just too short for when I fish by myself especially with bottom bouncers and long leaders. I don't fish much, maybe 4 or 5 times a summer, so I hate to tie up a couple hundred bucks in a fancy net but I would like something decent with a collapsing handle if possible. Anyone have opinions about Wakeman nets? What do most of you guys have?

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Frabil conversation series with the rubber coated net. Telescopes to 8' I believe. Had it a few years now with no issues.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just added a 5' pc of pvc pipe to my favorite Fabril so its a little over 8' when extended, have mounted a holder along side of drivers cowling and lays flat in bottom of boat when collapsed for the ride home. 8ft is nice when you fish alone. Wrapped with black grip tape so don't look to bad.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Frabil conversation series with the rubber coated net. Telescopes to 8' I believe. Had it a few years now with no issues.

I had that net for a few years and just about every fish netted a hook would get in the net and was a pain to get unhooked.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had that net for a few years and just about every fish netted a hook would get in the net and was a pain to get unhooked.

The frabill conversation series net is nice for pulling spinners or other live bait rigs and I don’t have too many issues when fishing with those. I do agree the net can be a pain when fishing crank baits especially ones with smaller trebles like #5 Shad raps or #4 hornets as they do tend to tangle up in the net after landing fish. The trebles really take a beating especially after catching a bunch of fish and bending up in the net.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny you bring this up. After breaking another Ego slider( 2nd one in two years), I got a recommendation to look into the Beckmann nets. Just picked on up and really like the construction of it. Seems like a more solid net and isn't supper heavy like those RS Nets.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m having a hard time finding the “conversation” series. Should we talk about this amongst each other?

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny you bring this up. After breaking another Ego slider( 2nd one in two years), I got a recommendation to look into the Beckmann nets. Just picked on up and really like the construction of it. Seems like a more solid net and isn't supper heavy like those RS Nets.

Did Landers have one?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never own a Frabill product because I absolutely can not stand John Gillespie. I can barely even choke down a Johnsonville brat because of that dipshit.

But yet we can't look away....car accident syndrome I guess. Mute button is my friend for sure.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for advice so I am reluctantly asking all of you!

Trying to decide on a new landing net. The extending handle on my frabill conservation net broke and not is too short for my liking. Also have an Ego Slider rubber net with a broken handle. Is it worth getting a new ego slider handle or are they still fragile junk?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new Beckmann net. Picked one up in the store and they extend nicely and still seem sturdy. They are also lightweight so that is nice too. Only about $110

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a newer stowmaster and really like it.
Did they redesign the folding/sliding mechanism?

Like mine a lot!

But it's about 15 yrs old - the machined aluminum folding mechanism gets sticky and binds. Plus a person unfamiliar with it can slide it right off the end at the worst possible moment.

Plus - it's heavy.

Last edited:

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the strength, length and east of telescoping for my Clam Fortis net, however, the particular fabric available when I bought mine is terrible for crankbait hooks. Not sure if they have a coated version now or not.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the strength, length and east of telescoping for my Clam Fortis net, however, the particular fabric available when I bought mine is terrible for crankbait hooks. Not sure if they have a coated version now or not.
Purchased replacement net from here. Very nice quality.
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/
Just measure your hoop.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never own a Frabill product because I absolutely can not stand John Gillespie. I can barely even choke down a Johnsonville brat because of that dipshit.
I love that guy, the passion is catchy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67