Finding old coins

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's a good metal detector cost?

400.00 at a minimum used and that's bare bones, you'll learn to triangulate very quicky or dig a shitload of nails. My life depended on a metal detector for many years, you don't need GPR or anything like that or the gimmicky ones that claim you can determine a coin from a nail, sensitivity, depth and headphones are your friends.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me what these are worth? Besides a dollar and 15 cents. ;:;rofl

9090.jpg

5656.jpg

The darker nickle is in the best shape of the three but it has like spray paint or a stain on it. How should I clean it up?

If dates are worn off the buffalo nickels they are basically worth nothing. Its extremely rare to find a buffalo nickel with the date on them. The date was higher than the rest of the coin which caused them to wear off easily.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The right one you can make out a 20, the middle one no date and the left one 1937.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The buffs had more of an extrusion and back in those days the 50 cent pieces and silver dollars had big ridges . I'll never forget an old timer telling me to never carry farmers matches in the same pocket as your coins and the reason why.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The buffs had more of an extrusion and back in those days the 50 cent pieces and silver dollars had big ridges . I'll never forget an old timer telling me to never carry farmers matches in the same pocket as your coins and the reason why.
" Poof ". hot pants.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a metal detector about 20 years ago. Dug up a lot of junk and scrap iron but never found much worth anything. My advice stay away from old farmsteads, there's a ton of crap under ground in them and very little worth digging up.

bilbo

Honored Member
I've found silver dimes before in change, but never a merc! Nice!

I used to work at a gas station and one of the annoying habits people have is throwing change on the counter to pay. One upside though, is that silver sounds different. I picked up a few silver dimes and a silver quarter because I 'heard them coming.' I got a lot of neat coins through that job. No Mercury dimes for me either, though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work at a gas station and one of the annoying habits people have is throwing change on the counter to pay. One upside though, is that silver sounds different. I picked up a few silver dimes and a silver quarter because I 'heard them coming.' I got a lot of neat coins through that job. No Mercury dimes for me either, though.

That's interesting, I'm going to learn that trick. As soon as I finish going through the rocks I'm going to dig the old coins out. Not sure what we all have Just collected them since I was a kid and never paid a lot of attention to value.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56