Lawn Care - Scott's 4-Step Program

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who all here uses Scott's products on their lawns? I've been having fits the last few years with crabgrass and all kinds of weeds, but now that I've got a little more time at home, I plan on trying to take a little better care of it. Have used some of the Scott's products in the past, mainly the 1-2-3-4 step granular products that you use a grass spreader with, but haven't had the best results (I also wasn't the most consistent in getting it down, either :fishon: . Thinking it may be time to put on the crabgrass preventer? Starting to see a bit of green grass popping up in the yard.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First thing to do is make absolutely sure it is crabgrass your dealing with. I worked @ a lawncare company for many years & the majority of calls/complaints that we got about "crabgrass" were actually quack or some other sort of perennial broadleaf. Generally you won't see crabgrass until it warms up more. A good pre-emergent is your best bet for early season & there are several specialty sprays out there that can take care of it as well.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit using Scott’s, they made it so fine it’s like sawdust and it blows around as you are spreading it. I use whatever the other brand is at Menards and it seems to work. I also spot spray with 24D.

Happycamper

Honored Member
That Max weed & feed at $10 bag from runnings is all I use and I live in a high rent district

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I think people that put fertilizer on their grass are nuts! If a person mulches their lawn there really is not a need for fertilizer I have been a home owner for about 10 years, purchased 3 homes and have yet to put on much fertilizer. If I feel I need something I will put on some fish emulsion, $20 a gallon is so much cheaper then synesthetic fertilizer. I do use 24D to manage weeds, but we never have to many unless we have a neighbor who doesnt manage for them. If you think that farmers put on too much fertilizer I think a person would be appalled at the rate the average home owner applies! I have several neighbors that put on about 1-200 lbs a year to their 0.25 acre lot! Just my 2 cents

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love a lush green lawn. I fertilize several times a year, and likely at double the rate I should.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love a lush green lawn. I fertilize several times a year, and likely at double the rate I should.

Go to your local DFC or Ag place and get the spillage of 11-36-9-3, they'll damn near give it away. You'll be mowing three times a week, get a jug of milestone too and you're good for a few years.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the cheap stuff, bag in the spring, one in the fall, and if needed in the summer. If it gets really stressed in the summer, hitting it at the right time can be tough. If you get it right it really bounces back nicely. But, I will say I almost have better results from aeration compared to anything.

Is there anything that will hurt quackgrass? I am getting a fair bit of it. I have heard Poast takes care of it, but hurts a lot of other grasses possibly too? Any options there?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Google Dallis Grass. Thought I had crabgrass but have Dallis grass. Pain in the butt just like crabgrass.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing to look for on\in a bag of fertilizer is what is called the analysis. N-P-K-S.

N = nitrogen, this gives you quick growth and your lawn its color, but basically that's all you get. Does very little for roots or plant health.

P= Phosphorus, the presences of phosphorus in soil helps turf grow lush and thick because it promotes strong root growth. More and longer roots = better water up take. An abundance of phosphorus allows plants to grow more efficiently.

K = potassium, facilitates the growth and development of the leaves as well as the stem and makes the plant healthier by increasing its immunity.

S= sulfur, helps lower the ph in the soil and gives your grass a darker green color and also helps with healthy root growth. Lawns with adequate sulfur amounts have stronger grass shoots with more dense blades and improved overall growth.

So something around a 15-30-15-10. Good luck finding that at your local lawn center! ;:;rofl It is better to fertilize a little more often, then to fertilize more once or twice a year. Think spoon feeding. And remember when it starts to get hot, grass takes a butt load of water to keep it green and healthy.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to your local DFC or Ag place and get the spillage of 11-36-9-3, they'll damn near give it away. You'll be mowing three times a week, get a jug of milestone too and you're good for a few years.

send your wife there and I guarantee it will be free.

Fitz

Established Member
Google Dallis Grass. Thought I had crabgrass but have Dallis grass. Pain in the butt just like crabgrass.

Any luck getting rid of it? Whatever I have, the only luck I have had is round-up, dig it out after it's been dead, and new sod down.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a link to some NDSU Extension lawn care information. Here's a link the NDSU Weed Guide. If there's a herbicide registered for North Dakota, the weed guide will have some info on it, including herbicide efficacy on various weeds.
If you're fertilizing the lawn you should really soil test and apply rates appropriately. Here a link to the NDSU Soil Testing Lab.. Putting on too much fertilizer can hurt the environment and not enough fertilizer can lead to a poor lawn.

Last edited:

Redneck1

Nothing you do will make a difference unless youre prepared to irrigate. Make sure you clean up your dog shit, and irrigate, irrigate, irrigate

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77