Sakakawea Water Level 2020

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious as to what everyone is predicting for peak water level in Sakakawea this year. I am not great at researching snow pack, and I realize that rain and runoff will play a part, but just for fun, what do you think it will peak at?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snowpack is right on average as of March 30. The Lake is already at 1,840, so i think 1,850 is possible, but they wont need to have outflows cranking as high all summer, like last year. Heavy spring rains can change all of this though.

http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/snow.pdf

Last edited:

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too early to make an educated guess in my opinion. We are right in the time where we can see alot of moisture and the areas to the west can as well. I wouldn't be suprised to see 1850 again this summer.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been down snooping around the lake quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and I was thinking we were closer to 1835 but I see as of today it's still reported at 1840.16. I guess I've gotten way to used to it being up around 1850 the last couple of years! I do some sleding out west and average is about right however I have to think the lower basin from hwy 83 all the way out to the mountains must be below average this year? There hasn't been an iota of snowpack between the lake past Billings this year in the lower elevations. The last couple years, there was snowpack all the way out in the lower elevations. based on my windshield survey, if we don't get slammed this spring with rain/snow, My guess is we peak at 1846.8.

- - - Updated - - -

hey, whats the winner get?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fished New Town/Sanish Bay area Saturday and couldn't help but notice how low the water/ice line is on the shore. Not sure what the snow pack is like yet out west but my gosh I hope the system gets some good moisture between now and spring...we need it!

Honored Member
Fished New Town/Sanish Bay area Saturday and couldn't help but notice how low the water/ice line is on the shore. Not sure what the snow pack is like yet out west but my gosh I hope the system gets some good moisture between now and spring...we need it!

Its been at 1838 for a couple of months now. Its normal for the lake to be this low until next spring.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
if blue states need water we dry up...

if they don't, we flood...

looking south will tell you what we "get"...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just checked the snow pack reports for Montana...they look much better than they did in December. Hopefully they get some additional good moisture next 6 weeks. I find myself looking forward to spring and open water fishing earlier and earlier as I age. #$%^&>

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just for reference, last year we bottomed out in Feb at 38.2 and peaked at 44.5 in July.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take at least 3 leaks every time I ice fish. Part of the solution I am.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got all excited about the numbers, then realized this thread is almost a year old.

At least I still agree with myself.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We are essentially exactly where we were at this time last year. Mountains with just under average snow pack, zero snow in the lower basin, and a lake level with a few tenths of what we’re a year ago. It’s okay, the sky isn’t falling yet, lol.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are essentially exactly where we were at this time last year. Mountains with just under average snow pack, zero snow in the lower basin, and a lake level with a few tenths of what we’re a year ago. It’s okay, the sky isn’t falling yet, lol.

You are forgetting 2019 ND recorded the most precipitation on record and we went into winter extremely wet.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You are forgetting 2019 ND recorded the most precipitation on record and we went into winter extremely wet.

Maybe so, but coming out of that record rainfall of sept/oct of 2019, we went directly into a drought that has persisted since. In one regard I could actually argue we're in better shape than we were a year ago as this drought is likely to end and get back into a more active weather pattern. Going into winter that was supposed to be the case but obviously the weather gods proved the experts wrong once again, lol.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe so, but coming out of that record rainfall of sept/oct of 2019, we went directly into a drought that has persisted since. In one regard I could actually argue we're in better shape than we were a year ago as this drought is likely to end and get back into a more active weather pattern. Going into winter that was supposed to be the case but obviously the weather gods proved the experts wrong once again, lol.

Well. we can certainly hope that comes to pass.

On the other hand, if drought continues into late May or early June, we will see an awful lot of crop failures and missing native forage. Farmers and ranchers do not have the robust soil moisture at depth that last spring had. So even if crops get started off on a good note, at this point it looks like they will have to thrive, or die, on regular spring and summer rains. No need to throw the panic flag just yet, but she's pretty dry across the western 2/3 of the state.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen...just curious...how does the NWS typically put together a "long range" precipitation forecast for the upper mid west? Expected storm tracks from the Pacific, Canada, the arctic? Historical averages/La Nina? Just interesting to me...currently the 3-4 week forecast shows above average precip for MT/ND. Thanks man!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen...just curious...how does the NWS typically put together a "long range" precipitation forecast for the upper mid west? Expected storm tracks from the Pacific, Canada, the arctic? Historical averages/La Nina? Just interesting to me...currently the 3-4 week forecast shows above average precip for MT/ND. Thanks man!

Please keep in mind that this is kind of out of my area of expertise, but I do rub elbows with the experts on a regular basis. Anyway, my understanding is that any time you go out past about a week and even moreso as you go into 3 week, or month, or seasonal outlooks, those are long range models and statistical analysis of prior times where certain, known climate drivers, are in place or expected to be in place. And then it's pretty much left up to the team of forecasters at the Climate Prediction Center's expertise to meld the modeled results with the statistical expectations.

Things that are taken into account along with the operational models are the El Nino Southern Oscillation, Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Arctic Oscillation, the North Atlantic Oscillation to just name a few. For example, if I remember correctly a negative Arctic Oscillation has a strong tendency to bring us cold weather. So it would be expected to be negative during that period of time if they are going to forecast cooler than normal temps.

Sometimes it works well, other times I am less impressed. Kind of like playing the horses. If you bet on the one with the best odds all the time, in theory you should do well. But for some unknown reasons, betting on the favorite isn't always the winning choice in hindsight.

Note, I also don't bet on horses. Just using my understanding of it as an analogy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 59