Finally, some good news!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...unge-in-robocalls/ar-BB124UPg?ocid=spartandhp

The coronavirus is responsible for a plunge in robocalls

David Lazarus
9 hrs ago

Like most of us, Elaine Regus and her husband have adapted to being home most of the day, except for the occasional walk around the neighborhood.
cache.php
© Hemera Technologies/Getty Images Woman talking on phone. Hemera Technologies/Getty ImagesThe San Dimas resident told me that in the past, they'd typically find several messages from robocallers awaiting them any time they returned home.

"These days, nothing," said Regus, 68. "We're wondering what happened."
What happened is there's finally something good to say about the otherwise rotten coronavirus pandemic.
The volume of robocalls nationwide has plunged as overseas call centers have closed for lockdowns and social distancing, according to YouMail, an Irvine tech company that tracks robocall volume on a monthly basis.
Robocalls are automated, of course, but the most annoying ones often try to connect you with a live operator to close the deal, such as signing you up for a high-interest credit card or, worse, committing some act of fraud.
With call centers in India, the Philippines and elsewhere shut down for the coronavirus, many of these scammy companies have simply stopped making calls.
"The pandemic is disrupting everything," said Alex Quilici, chief executive of YouMail. "So you can say this is a benefit of the coronavirus."
He told me that about 4.1 billion robocalls were received by U.S. households in March — more than 132 million a day.
That might sound like a lot — and it is — but it's 700 million fewer than the 4.8 billion robocalls logged in February, and way less than the record 5.7 billion registered in October.
I passed that along to Regus.
"I love it," she responded. "That's just great."
Indeed, a decline of 700 million calls is nothing to sneeze (or cough) at.
But don't get complacent.
Quilici said most overseas robocallers may now lack the infrastructure for their employees to work from home, but that will quickly change.
"The robocallers are smart," he said. "Like the rest of us, they're figuring out how to get around the pandemic."
In other words, just as most Americans have taken a crash course in telecommuting, so are the robocallers.
Quilici said we should expect robocall volume to pick up again in coming weeks as overseas facilities lay the groundwork for transferring calls to workers' homes.
As it happens, help is on the way.
The Federal Communications Commission said this week that it's abandoning plans for U.S. telecom companies to voluntarily implement state-of-the-art methods for reducing robocalls.
Now such measures are mandatory.
The FCC is giving the industry until June 30, 2021, to roll out what's known as "Shaken/Stir," a system that allows telecom companies to verify that a call is from who it says it's from.
This addresses the problem of "spoofing," which is technology employed by robocallers to make it appear to recipients that a call is from a known source, such as a neighbor, your kid's school or the local police department.
Shaken/Stir has been in the works for years. A techie involved in developing the industry-created system told me his team "tortured the English language" to cook up an acronym that allowed them to indulge their James Bond fanboy nerdiness.
When a call originates, Shaken/Stir issues a digital "token" or "signature." That marker is verified before the call makes its way to the recipient.
Consumers can expect to see a symbol on their screen — a check mark or a thumbs up — notifying them that a call is legit.
If you receive no such notice, you can still answer, but the chances of it being a robocall are much higher.
The FCC estimates that "eliminating the wasted time and nuisance caused by illegal scam robocalls" will save consumers about $3 billion a year in lost productivity (not to mention aggravation).
It also says Shaken/Stir can help protect people from "fraudulent robocall schemes that cost Americans approximately $10 billion annually."
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said a number of telecom companies heeded his call last year for a voluntary rollout of Shaken/Stir.
"But it's clear that FCC action is needed to spur across-the-board deployment of this important technology," he said.
That's a polite way of saying too many industry players were either dragging their feet or balking at the multimillion-dollar price tag of adding Shaken/Stir to their networks — even as customers complained daily that robocalls were driving them crazy.
"The threat posed by these calls is particularly apparent now, with phone scammers preying on Americans' fears during the coronavirus outbreak," Pai said.
He said scammers are spoofing phone numbers to make it look like a call is from a local public-health department when it's in fact "an attempt to steal their Medicaid and Medicare information."
Pai also said utilities in California and elsewhere have warned of spoofed calls that fraudulently threaten service cutoffs if recipients don't pony up some cash.
Experts say Shaken/Stir won't solve such problems overnight.
The technology "can't be effective until everyone participates," said Joe Weeden, vice president of Metaswitch, a London communications software company. "It's going to take time."
Still, getting the entire industry to play ball is a big step in the right direction.
And with everything else going on, a few hundred million fewer robocalls helps a little.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's more, Stenehjem told about a close call where someone in the state sent a big check to some scammer in Texas and the police in Texas were notified and got the envelope with the check . My first thought was , If it's a check just cancel payment but hopefully the police visit took one more scammer off the streets.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've noticed the scammer calls have shifted from my vehicles extended warranty, to random washington DC numbers with a girl speaking some sort of Asian language...

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've noticed the scammer calls have shifted from my vehicles extended warranty, to random washington DC numbers with a girl speaking some sort of Asian language...

Had two of those a couple days ago about 2min apart, one on work phone and one on my personal.
Overall the telemarketers have not given me much of a rest

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually press 1, when they answer hit'em with the air horn.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's more, Stenehjem told about a close call where someone in the state sent a big check to some scammer in Texas and the police in Texas were notified and got the envelope with the check . My first thought was , If it's a check just cancel payment but hopefully the police visit took one more scammer off the streets.

This was on the radio just now. Woman gave $9400 to some scammer who called her, gave her a secret number, told her to call back with the secret number to claim her prize. They told her that she won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. She paid $9400, and was set to pay more, when she heard something on the news, and gave it a second thought.

My first thought is, "if she's so stupid, how does she have $9400 laying around?". Then I remember vulnerable adults, and wish bad things for these scammers.

I had at least 3 robo-calls yesterday. That's neat.

- - - Updated - - -

I usually press 1, when they answer hit'em with the air horn.

I wouldn't answer them at all, if I could help it. You answer, and they know it's a valid number. It might give you a grin, but it's a bad idea.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard that in burgums press conference yesterday. That’s insane. Someone that does that isn’t capable of handling their own money and should have their finances taken over by a family member

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At this time I almost enjoy the calls, gives me something to do and usually good for a laugh or two. Just have to be careful of what you say.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
As previously stated by a very smart person: you answer the call, you get more calls.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was answering them and immediately muting the mic. Then they think its a ghost number and remove it from the list. I havent received any robocalls for months now. Seemed to work for me.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like fucking with them. i currently have some dude sending me some check from his company to stay at our rental cabin. of course they combined his travel expenses with his rent. so, its overpaid. when it gets here, i am to send him the difference between the overpaid rent and the check. pondering how best to fuck with him at this point. might just inform the authorities here and where ever the check is being sent. but, i doubt anything will happen. maybe wasting their time and giving them a false sense of hope for the future is the best i can do.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like fucking with them. i currently have some dude sending me some check from his company to stay at our rental cabin. of course they combined his travel expenses with his rent. so, its overpaid. when it gets here, i am to send him the difference between the overpaid rent and the check. pondering how best to fuck with him at this point. might just inform the authorities here and where ever the check is being sent. but, i doubt anything will happen. maybe wasting their time and giving them a false sense of hope for the future is the best i can do.

I made $100 bucks and some change off a scammer on paypal one time. I think and hope it was a scam. We got a message on ebay from someone who claimed they paid us by mistake , I looked and sure as hell there was an extra hundred bucks in the paypal account. I thought about it for a while and the story didn't match up at all with what we were selling and it seemed damn near impossible to pay the wrong person so I transferred the money to another account for safe holding and started a new pay pal account. It's been close to 10 years and I'm still watching over my back waiting for the broom to be lowered .

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
As previously stated by a very smart person: you answer the call, you get more calls.
Exactly, the more times you answer the more times your number gets sent out to other spammers. If someone calls me and I don't know the number they can leave a message if it's important.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75