Paddlefish season cancelled

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably going to push MT to do the same, if all those guys go to MT instead things are going to get a bit crowded.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
video_image-_0Q0lb43V.jpg

Guess I will go to "plan B" and go walleye fishing this year!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you think one them "I'm essential" notes will work at the boat ramp?

Side note: I wonder if anyone will still go try to snag one this year? :;:huh

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wanted to pull cranks down the middle of the river channel, for walleyes, there at that time of year. But the damn paddle fisherman are always in the way. I guess this is my year (Grin).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game and Fish is allowing for the possibility of a one-week, snag-and-release season, Power said, because data strongly suggests considerably fewer snaggers will participate.
“The snag-and-release season is considered acceptable as a lower-risk activity for those avid snaggers who just want some time outdoors, usually by themselves,” Power said.

- - - Updated - - -

wut? ba ha ha

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve done catch and release in the past and that is a blast as well. I just want to see a plan or resolution to this virus out so in a couple months we are back to “normal”.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I feel that this is one of those outdoor recreational activities that was "CANCELLED" way too early. If NDGF can call the season normally with a 24 hour notice when the catch and keep limit reaches their quota...a guy sure would think that they could still reverse their decision and allow this season to take place. Just open it May 8th, get tags out to the vendors and give North Star Caviar a week to set up the cleaning station. Otherwise.....give 2 weekends of catch and release.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why? Just leave them alone this year. The snag and release never has made sense to me.

Right?!?!

While I am not a fisheries biologist, I have had issues with NDGF's management of paddlefish for years.

We went from having a limit of a fish a day, to two fish per year, to one fish per year, to one fish per year and reduced fishing area (making it an even more congested clusterf%@k than it needs to be. To now having specific catch and keep days mixed in with catch and release only days.

After all these years of concern by NDGF and they still insist that the p-fish population MUST be self-sustaining, e.g. no stocking.

Add to that and an absolute refusal to even consider any kind of harvest on p-fish in the stretch of Missouri below Garrison, even though it's apparent there's been a self-sustaining population of them despite Garrison Dam.

Yeah, this is probably the single biggest issue I have with NDGF.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
YES...but it was a tough decision now that the walleye are turning on.

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody going tomorrow. I want to go but I hope to hear some reports from Friday before I head over.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody going tomorrow. I want to go but I hope to hear some reports from Friday before I head over.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was planning on taking a day trip with the kids on Saturday and come back Sunday but the turbo on the pickup took a shit so I get to spend 4 grand fixing that instead.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76