Old coins

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how to grade them and put a value on them and divide up for the grand kids someday. I've read so many times how to clean them but after my last attempt I'm scared to try another old one. From what I am seeing Dimes and pennies seem to have survived better than most coins. Out of 6 buffalo nickels only one still has the date on it. I'm using the first website that I clicked on so if anyone knows of a reliable website for estimating coin and stamp values I'd like to hear about it.

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Indian/Grades

coins 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The dime has black paint on it , I think everything I have is pretty much face value or a little more but hoping to find a surprise .

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
old coins are neat! My dad used to collect them, not sure what he still has... I will have to inquire.

eliminator

Honored Member
Good luck getting a good value on them. There are so many levels of grading coins it is very hard to do. Also very hard to find anyone who will buy them for any where close to what they might be worth. I have lots and lots of old coins - been hanging onto them for 50 years and have yet to find anyone I can trust to give me a good value for them. If you find someone, by all means post it. Coins and also paper currency. There are lots of buyers out there if you want to basically give them away.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hadn't really looked at ours or put a lot of thought into them for a long time , It was just fun to find and keep em. It's like taking a trip down memory lane seeing the coins again that were common when I was a kid. The chances of finding any that are valuable is slim to none but I've been looking at the list of misfit or otherwise rare coins and it's amazing the value. The catch is you can set a price on anything , Selling it for that price is the hard part. I got a couple days of detecting in before the snow and dang it's addicting for me and good exercise. One trick I learned if you live on a farm is pay attention to the old pictures if you have any. I'm finding more coins in the yard where they would gather for family pictures and in the background down by the barn where the horse drawn equipment was hitched.

I read something that might be of interest to some of you guys, Renting detectors is quite common. Lows and other big box stores supposedly rent metal detectors. It would be a good way to get into detecting and decide before you buy one. I was thinking of buying a couple to rent out but changed my mind , I think in the right location and with social media advertising it might work.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd think the new sales would make more than the rental. Something to consider for a sideline if you already have a business up and running.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a guy find a nice diamond ring on the beach.

His wife had lost it a few hours earlier, but he found it with a detector.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My oldest cousin collected stamps in the '30 & early 40s and gave me his collection 60 years ago. For a nickel you cou send away and get a wax paper envelope of canceled stamps from various countries. I'd completely forgotten about those those books, think they are in a box in the basement.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fire, If they have been stored well you will be pleasantly surprised when you find out the value on some of those.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found a diamond ring when i was a young lad on the farm in the back yard. Brought it in the house and showed my Mother and she said she lost it 2 or more years prior. We always had a pail for putting veggie peelings in and would throw it in the back yard for the chicken to eat. She always thought that is how she lost it.
Didn't need a metal detector to find that. Just got lucky.

Also had 2 neighbors that found things in the field while plowing.
One found an old calvary revolver but that was very rusty but really neat. Wish i had it and don't know what ever happened with it as his kids don't even remember it.
Another neighbor found an old rusted can with a bunch of coins in it. They kept raking the dirt in the plowed field where he saw the can of coins and found quite few more there.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77