Which skid steer to buy?

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to pick up a skid steer for work around the acreage. Something in the $15-20k range, which so far appears to be machines with 3000-5000 hours pretty commonly.

Uses will be mainly dirt work, moving junk, clearing trees, some snow removal, nothing too heavy or too often really. At this point I am really leaning towards a tracked machine just because we tend to have a lot of mud to deal with around here and the farmstead has a bunch of old metal just waiting to pop tires. A heated/AC cab would be nice but not a deal breaker at this point.

Most of my skid steer time has been in a 70s Case and just a couple times in a newer 2010 JD wheeled machine. I have been seeing a number of Bobcat T190, T200, T300 machines in my area for my price range and most have around 4,000 hours.

Any tips for buying? Should I look mostly at dealers and hope they have gone through the machines prior to selling? Any experience people have with comparable models I would love to hear as well. Locally we have service for Bobcat, Case, New Holland, JD, Kubota and I am within an hour of Sioux Falls so I am guessing other brands I can get serviced there.

Is a high flow hydraulic system needed?

Last edited:

Coalburner

Honored Member
Probably can’t get a Cat that is decent in that price range - I am not crazy about them anyway. You could get a nice Bobcat S175 2 speed with high flow for that price. It’s a good versatile machine. If you need tracks the T200 is alright but once again you will be climbing up there in price. I really really like the new Kubota’s but once again getting expensive - they are very smooth and don’t jerk like the Cat skid-steers. If you could find a mid sized Kubota used I would give them a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Kubota SVL 75-2 is in my opinion the best skid steer out there.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2418.jpg

Take a look at Mustang. I've put a bunch of hours on this one and its very nice machine. It has joystick controls and they are a dream to use. Bobcat and John Deere are good but you pay for the name. Case are good machines as well. New Holland seem to be the best priced. Ive heard good things about Kubota but i've never operated one.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your going to move snow tracks aren’t what you want. They totally suck in the snow and ice

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 2011 bobcat S185 that I really liked did everything I needed to do with it. I sold it two years ago and missed a skid steer so much I went out and bought a bobcat S570. Love this machine. Heat and AC. Heated seat. Super quiet inside. I ended up with a like new machine with 130 hours on it. 13k less in miles city than they wanted for a new unit in Williston. Saved $2800 on sales tax alone. Super place to deal with too

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never buy wheels again on a skid steer I've had both tracks are the way to go for any use snow mud ice I take mine on the ice to clear snow no problems ever I have never been stuck and I use it to plow oil field locations it's a John Deere ct300 it picks round bales up no prob I love I had Bob cat and case this is my first jd I've had it for 4 years now and put over 1000 hrs on it I don't think the brand is important they all seem to be good machines but I definitely would go with tracks

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the model choice is a ford, chevy, dodge argument... pick whatever you like the best or what you get the best deal on... DO NOT buy an auction machine - have personally seen too many people screwed... paint and decals are cheap...

find it4 or earlier for less headaches and maintenance costs... you do not want a scr, dpf, or def system - until a couple years ago the cut off was 75 horse and above normally had the govt friendly equipment...

wheels vs tracks - the same class track machine will cost you 12k more new over a wheeled machine...
when you need tires, you would generally need tracks... a new set of tires will run you about 1600... a new set of tracks will run you about 3k, but you will probably need at least sprockets if not idlers by then - figure another 3k average... drive motors run about 5k per side on a track machine if you have issues with them and they can be suspect at 2500 hours depending on the operator... fwiw, ive never seen a wheel machine with a chaincase failure...

i used to sell bobcats and would tell customers that to own the same class machine with tracks will cost you bout 15k more the first 1500 hours... with used, bout the same numbers...

you have a pretty good chance of finding a cupcake wheel machine used - a babied track machine, not so much... the people who pay the extra up front and operating cost generally need the pushing power of a tracked machine, and most of them over 75 horse get worked HARD...

1 more thing - southern mn and wisconsin (dairy country) have some awesome looking deals on used machines... ive seen some of the machines that came out of the dairys that had quick tach plates held together by the paint... steel hates urea...

good luck...

- - - Updated - - -

on high flow - no, unless you're gonna run a specialized attachment like a stump grinder or flail cutter... high flow does nothing for machine operation, it's just a second pump for running attachments...

you can get almost any attachment in standard flow... for example, bobcat used to say that a standard flow machine with a standard flow snow blower will throw snow 40' - a high flow machine with a high flow snow blower will throw it 45'...

Coalburner

Honored Member
I will never buy wheels again on a skid steer I've had both tracks are the way to go for any use snow mud ice I take mine on the ice to clear snow no problems ever I have never been stuck and I use it to plow oil field locations it's a John Deere ct300 it picks round bales up no prob I love I had Bob cat and case this is my first jd I've had it for 4 years now and put over 1000 hrs on it I don't think the brand is important they all seem to be good machines but I definitely would go with tracks
I ran one of these John Deere’s a year ago and it is a nice machine but gonna be way out of the price range he quoted especially with tracks. If you get a chance try one of those new Kubota’s - really really smooth and quick. Had a job where there were three different skid-steers going (Cat, Bobcat, and Kubota) all fairly new and all going very hard at first nobody wanted the Kubota but by the end of the job it was the first choice of nearly every operator working.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not much help here but I'm not very impressed with our s series bobcat. I think it's a 2012? S850 controls are always acting up, and had a few drive motors go out. Cab is cheap and the way the door opens is retarded. It will lift alot though. I have also heard very good things about the new Kubotas

Polarpower

Some good comments already made. Just wanted to add that of all the brands out there, Bobcat is the ONLY one that is designed and manufactured right here in North Dakota. I also believe that in general, the Bobcat dealership network and support is the best in the business. And you'll also have a tough time finding a brand that holds it's resale value better.
A later-model year T190 would treat you well, but a decent one is going to be priced higher than what you're looking to spend. High flow hydraulics are not needed for the needs you stated. However, high flow will make the machine more appealing to more buyers if and when you want to sell. And while it's not impossible to add on, it's not a fun project.
If you can do without tracks, I would second the recommendation for an S175/S185/S205. Rock solid good performing machines!

Brasmunky

Established Member
I would watch the used market in western ND in the near future. There will be alot of smaller companies selling off machines due to the oil prices. I second what someone said about tracks costing a bunch more in initial cost and maintenance. I just replaced the tracks on my Cat 257b2 and it wasnt a small investment by any means. Between idlers, new tensioner, tracks and miscellaneous hardware I was in about 5 grand. If you are worried about having tracks that much i would find a wheeled machine and get the metal tracks you can strap onto it when needed. The rubber tracks suck on compacted ice and snow anyways.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 10 skid steer either cat or bobcat 4 of them are tracked. Tracked machines suck shit for moving snow on concrete or asphalt. They are the best in mud or sand. They all break can say we have had better or worse luck with either. I would wait a month lots of people going to be looking for quick cash

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep as businesses shut down equipment will come up for sale. Things could get very reasonable in the future.
We always had Bobcats but have heard Kubota's too are good machines.
Our Bobcats had foot and hand controls. I couldn't do the hand controls so always had ours set on foot controls.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all of the comments guys. Some really good points being made. Especially regarding finding a clean used tracked machine. Seems like all of them were worked hard whereas there seems to be a number of decent wheeled machines that weren't used very rough. As much as I would like a tracked loader it is hard to justify at this time since decent used units are in the 30k range. The amount of maintenance for the tracks looks to be a pain. I wouldn't put many hours on but I am sure that would catch up with a guy.

Once thing I have noticed is that running a wheeled loader on grass always tears it up, at least on that old Case I have used. Is there a trick or any way to cross grass with a wheeled loader and not tear it all to hell?

Looks like I have to decide which is more important to me at this time...tracks or a nice cab with heat/ac. Might have to swing up to western ND and pick one up if things continue going south.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can’t beat an American made CAT.
the number one selling construction equipment in the good ol USA for a reason.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all of the comments guys. Some really good points being made. Especially regarding finding a clean used tracked machine. Seems like all of them were worked hard whereas there seems to be a number of decent wheeled machines that weren't used very rough. As much as I would like a tracked loader it is hard to justify at this time since decent used units are in the 30k range. The amount of maintenance for the tracks looks to be a pain. I wouldn't put many hours on but I am sure that would catch up with a guy.

Once thing I have noticed is that running a wheeled loader on grass always tears it up, at least on that old Case I have used. Is there a trick or any way to cross grass with a wheeled loader and not tear it all to hell?

Looks like I have to decide which is more important to me at this time...tracks or a nice cab with heat/ac. Might have to swing up to western ND and pick one up if things continue going south.

if you figure it out you will be a millionaire haha tires tear shit up no matter what it seems like

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When turning on grass make a wide turn or i guess gradual turn.
Also have done a slight wheelie with just the rear tires on the ground and can turn fairly fast.
Practice and you will get better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79