Open Water - Pike Fishing Tournaments

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve never heard of one being done in ND. Does anybody know of any strictly northern pike fishing tournaments held in ND? My son and I both really enjoy pike fishing at various times of the open water season and he asked the other day about fishing a pike tournament. Really never crossed my mind until then but it I’ve never heard of one. Are there any? Both Sakakawea and DL are great venues for big gators and lots of smaller lakes can be good also.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know some of the locals around Ft. Yates have an overnight shore fishing tournament. Pike is just one division. I'm not sure how tournaments are gonna work with social distancing.

nybs

Honored Member
I would have done well a few years ago...seemed like I was getting a 3-1 pike to walleye ratio on Sak for a while there....

eliminator

Honored Member
You might check with Game and Fish---don't they register tournaments in North Dakota---they might know if there are any pike tourneys that have applied for a permit this year.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake region anglers weigh total of pike and walleye. The devil's lake chamber tournament does a pike shootout the second day and depending on the amazing of teams that opt into it the prize can be good. I got a $1200 check a few years back from it

- - - Updated - - -

A strictly pike tournament would be fun in my opinion but never seen one before

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, They're catching large pike from shore on OAHE.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the ideas guys. I hadn’t ever noticed any but thought maybe DL had one that I didn’t know about since I don’t get over that way very often. I do think it would be fun if done at the right time of the year and most people don’t care if you slay big gators on “their” lake, lol. I know I’m the rarity in avidly pursuing them, but there got to be enough others to support one or two tournaments. From a pure sport fishing and excitement stand point, there the best fish in ND hands without question.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shore fishing question, do most people lay smelt on the bottom or suspend up a few inches in the spring time.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually put it on bottom. Depends on the spot and day though. Than I cast with the second rod.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a double leader, like a crappie rig, but a little more strength. I put a small bobber on the top and a weight on the bottom. I cast out just over the first significant drop, even if that is a rod length from shore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75