Making your own lure setups

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
B194F226-FE54-41CA-B01C-8D510669963B.jpg

Does anyone make their own creations? I’m not big on it, but I have always wanted to cast slow death hooks, and I have a favorite brand of slow death, so I was hoping to use that.

I found these swivel head jigs (swivel in the jig head), and I swapped the hooks for my slow death hooks that I like. We’ll see how it works out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Casting a floppy hook jig will oftentimes cause the hook to hang up on the line above the jig head. One has to be careful how you cast. A quick cast, which adds distance to smaller jigs, tends to result in more hang ups while a smooth swing type cast, which helps prevent this, is better for heavy jigs. Hopping, lifting, and other actions I put on the jig also seemed to increase the chances of getting the hook over the mainline. A steady swim was really the only way I retrieved the ones I tried. I gave up the floppy hook jigs as a swirling hook was a pain to cast as I use 1/8th oz most and they seemed to hang up much more than the standard jig. I think that was due to the hook point location being random instead of up where I could crawl the jig over rocks, wood, and other obstacles using the line. If I were to try it again, I would use bullet weight pinned onto the line above a barrel swivel and the hook which would probably be cheaper than buying or making swivel jig heads. Either way, good luck. Catch a bunch!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
That is a good point, KDM. I’ll give it a go and see how it works.
I might also try pulling it with lead core. We’ll see.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used what is essentially a 3-4 inch lindy rig that cast fairly well. It appeared to me that the extra 2-4 inches of distance between the weight and the hook kept the hook from wrapping the line as much during the cast as the weight of the minnow or the worm seemed to keep the hook point out and away from the line during the cast and even during a hop or jigging motion. At least it did with my style of casting. Think very short Carolina rig here. A 1/8th oz bullet weight pinned above a small barrel swivel with 3-4 inches of floro leader tipped with a bait hook and minnow or chunk of crawler put lots of eyes on the bank for me. Especially in the spring when I used a drag-stop type retrieve or a small hop-stop retrieve with a minnow on the back. Summer time called for a chunk of crawler more which appealed to the perch as well. Good Luck!!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a small chunk of tubing just big enough to cover but not impede the swivel. Slide it onto the hook just enough to keep it doing what you want, as far as action. Then glue it there. It will not take much to stiffen that hinge point to keep it from rolling and peeling back on the line while casting. Experimentation on the grass. Cast and look.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
After seeing it at the sport show I would like to try to make my own version of PK Lures spin a jig. Looks interesting but can't be worth almost $5 a pop.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How'd those ever work out for you Vollmer?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
KDM was right. About 1/4 of the casts end up with the hook tangled in the line.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74