No paddle fish season, & tournaments canceled April & May

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its getting pretty crazy when G&F cancels paddle fishing season & tournaments this spring. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://gf.nd.gov/covid-19. Stay safe everyone & get outside. [/FONT]

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder if any tournaments will go "virtual". Honor system essentially, much the catch photo release game out there, but without the gathering. Lots of other sports are going to this in some form. If you could do some sort of GPS tracking with geolocation of the photos, that would make it legit. Kinda like the Strava of fishing. Except you'd be giving away your hotspots LOL! Anything that is virtual you've got to makes the entry and prizes little or nothing to keep folks from cheating though.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only potential would be saving big fish...doubt too many tourney guys are gonna keep 5+ pounders if they're fishing for fun. But nonetheless I'm of the camp that it's a drop in the bucket.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to go on a limb and say no tournaments all summer and the Corp probably will shut down all camping on Corp land.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can understand cancelling April at this point, but May too? And beyond that would be an overreaction at this point. Can cancel a June tourney in mid May just as easily as it can be cancelled now....pump the breaks.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to go on a limb and say no tournaments all summer and the Corp probably will shut down all camping on Corp land.

I had a reservation cancelled by the Corp for a camping spot at Beaver Creek May 8th-10th. Thought that was a tad bit early of a decision, but then again this IS the federal government we're talking about. One size fits all.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have camping reservations for Memorial Day weekend. I’m guessing those will be cancelled for me in the coming weeks as well.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got a call from the gentleman who puts on the fishing for a cure tournament out of Beulah bay that he is canceling this year’s tournament in June. I’m willing to guess the gov cup and the classic are next

Last edited:

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got a call from the gentleman who puts on the fishing for a cure tournament out of Beulah bay that he is canceling this year’s tournament tomorrow in June. I’m willing to guess the gov cup and the classic are next
My son and I were looking forward to the Fishing For a Cure tourney to be the first of the season for us. I really like that tourney. Sucks, but I understand if he does cancel.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t know tourney guys filleted up 5-8lbers on their free time......

They don't. That's my point. Fewer fish kept pre-fish days and fewer kept on tourney days than they (we) would on non-tourney related days. Most tourney guys I know, including myself, have pretty strict length keep rules in the boat on non-tourney days.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have camping reservations for Memorial Day weekend. I’m guessing those will be cancelled for me in the coming weeks as well.

I don't understand why closing campgrounds would be necessary. It's like we have taken the 6 foot guideline and changed it to 6 miles.

When I go camping, the ONLY people I get within 6 feet of are my family members and I live with them so it makes no diff whether I am sitting in a camper with them or at home. #OVERREACTION

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t quite understand this one either. Could close off the playground equipment and bathrooms if that’s the worry. When I go camping we do a lot of fishing, cooking, campfire sitting and going for walks and bike rides as a family. About the same activities as we are doing at home minus the house.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They don't. That's my point. Fewer fish kept pre-fish days and fewer kept on tourney days than they (we) would on non-tourney related days. Most tourney guys I know, including myself, have pretty strict length keep rules in the boat on non-tourney days.
If I’m not tourney fishing I don’t keep anything over 20 inches.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So cancelling the tourneys is saving the lives of big walleyes that’s my point, I don’t think anyone cares if people keep limits of eaters. If the late summer tournaments are cancelled it will save even more trauma killed fish from fishing deep.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along these same fishing news...in blue plate country, i see the Gov has postponed the annual Governor's fishing opener because of Covid that is held at a different location each Mn opener. Gov opener's are usually held at a different location each opener to...besides trying to catch walleye...its an opportunity to market that particular area for fishing/tourism.
Looks like the fishing opener for the state is still slated for May 9th. That Mn Gov Walz is blasting other adjoining states Gov's for not instituting a shelter in place order. We shall see if he postpones the HUGE INCOME potential for Resorts, Bars and Restaurants that opening fishing brings each year. My guess is that the tourism industry is bending his ear not to cancel opener.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75