Gun Enthusiasts - Your Help is Needed!

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since folks have some extra time on their hands these days, thought this would be a great chance to solicit input from some NDA experts. Before I get too far, a couple clarifiers:

1) It's highly likely I've screwed something up in trying to post/attach pictures. If so, feel free to chastise and guide me down the right path.

2) This pics were snapped by my father, who is near 80 yoa. He's less skilled at using an Iphone than I, which says a whole bunch. As you can see, plenty of shadows. Ignore his shoes as well ! LOL ! Apologies in advance if they are not the best clarifty.

This gun has been in our family for a number of years. My uncle, who died in 2004, passed it along to my dad. We have no idea how my uncle came to possess this thing. It's been sitting in my dad's house for the last 16 years. An expert in modern guns, let alone antique firearms, we are not! The researching process has initiated, thought this would be a great place to start.

So, anybody have an ideas, thoughts or guesses? It's in really rough shape, which is probably obvious. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpgIMG_0935.jpgIMG_0936.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turkish Candle Extinguisher.

Just kidding. The stock looks Turkish or French, and that flare at the end reminds me of the bell on a candle extinguisher that an acolyte/alter-boy would carry.

I haven't the 1st clue what it is or what it's worth.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, not an expert here, but that looks like a blunderbuss or short barreled musketoon.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There should be some sort of makers mark close to the hammer or on the barrel. Google it from there. Good luck and tell us what you find because its really neat. Don't try to restore it. I think its worth more as is.

nybs

Honored Member
I took an old shotgun that was handed down to me to the old gun shop on Main Ave in Bis for the gunsmith to give me some info...I know they are no longer around but saw that HH guns deals in collectibles so they might have someone in-house that could lend some insight. Not a plug - have never been in the store, but might be worth a call. Cool looking gun - hope you can get some info on it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that funnel shaped barrel end detachable? Also measure the bore and see if it by chance may be .69 inch and rifles, or .625 inch and smooth bore.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any chance you can take some better pics or have someone else take some?

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for input thus far! I’ll reach out to my dad for info requested and possibly some better pics. He lives down in WYO, so stay tuned!

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on the mystery gun. Dad was able to send a few more pics, with some better detail. A trip to Vegas to visit with Rick and Chumlee did cross my mind, don't kid yourself !! Hell, if not for this virus crap, I could be on TV. I've shopped at H&H many times, if I get this hunk of iron and wood in my hands I'll definitely pay those fellas a visit.

I've spent a few hours on the inter-web trying to get some ideas, including antique gun and auction forums, with limited success. I suck at it (among many other things). If anyone has some specific websites or other guidance, feel free to toss it my way. Here's what I think I've learned:

1) The "bell" at the end of the barrel obviously has been attached, could possibly be removed with some great effort. This is abnormal, for sure. Dad can't tell if the barrel is smooth or rifled. He says it's very rusty inside. Also, the barrel starts out as maybe an octagon (or six sides), then transitions to smooth towards the muzzle. This seems odd.

2). I'm thinking this was made in late 1800's, maybe 1900's. Hard to explain why - maybe I picked the wrong week to stop huffing glue.

3) I've looked at hundreds of photos of wunderbluss. I can't find one that resembles anything close to the butt-end of this stock.

4) The brass "straps", on the stock below the barrel, seem to be more common with "Persian", or middle-eastern, wunderbluss. Those made in European countries don't seem to have this characteristic.

5) Apparently my uncle had traveled to Saudi Arabia, Iran etc. back in the early 1970's, and my father wonders if uncle had found this gun during his travels back then. This would support #4.

6) I read where there has been a market for "reproduction" wunderbluss in the middle-east for a number of decades. The "guns" are not operational, locals throw them together with whatever materials they have available, then sell them in tourist markets. This would correlate with #4 and #5 above.

Anyway, the new pics are attached.

Pic 1: Closer view of the hammer/percussion tip.
Pic 2: Some engraving on the bottom of the trigger guard.
Pic 3: The letters "T" and "O" stamped in the lock plate, below the hammer
Pic 4: The "bell" attached at the muzzle
Pic 5: Appears to be an ornate "P" also stamped in the lock plate, by the hammer.
Pic 6: Possibly an "M" and a "D" engraved on the left end of lock plate. These appear to have been "scrawled" or engraved onto the plate, definitely not as clear, nor similar to, the other markings.

If anyone has thoughts or ideas, throw them my way! Thanks in advance ! The investigation continues . . . .. .

Attachments

IMG_0954.jpg IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0944.jpg IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0942.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might be able to retire ooooorrrrr have a wonderful wall hanger to pass from gen to gen with much mystery and worth a treasure in conversation. Good Luck. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the blunderbus type guns had a barrel that was one piece. The flared end on this barrel looks as if it is soldered on. Some of the old smooth bore fowlers had a piece you slipped over the end of the barre so they didnt spill shot all over as they loaded.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
wunderbluss vs blunderbuss.... color me confused and pass the coffee

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the blunderbus type guns had a barrel that was one piece. The flared end on this barrel looks as if it is soldered on. Some of the old smooth bore fowlers had a piece you slipped over the end of the barre so they didnt spill shot all over as they loaded.

Good lord do I feel like a complete idiot for not ever having thought about the flared muzzle for easier shot-filling.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know very little about old guns, but that thing looks gobbly gooked together like like some of my old shop projects in HS.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75