Big Lake

Oldmud

It’s my understanding the ice is pulling away from the shore- is it too early to waste some time with a bobber and smelt for pike? I’ve never tried this- but I need to do something! Thanks

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not too early, but I was at Douglas this past weekend at my cabin and there wasn’t much open between shore and the sheet of ice. At night what little open water there was froze up with a crust. Maybe by this weekend there will be a few places to get a line in.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out in the arm at douglas, the north ramp area last night. There is more than enough open shore to shore fish. Especially today after this wind. The northern area of Garrison Bay is also a good place right now as far as open water. There is a shoreline access area 1mi south of the Cenex in Garrison then turn west. I would imagine the West Totten Trail ramp on the east end of sakakawea would also have ample areas although the west wind today may push an ice to that shoreline area. Just a few that I know of, hopefully you can get out!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was out in the arm at douglas, the north ramp area last night. There is more than enough open shore to shore fish. Especially today after this wind. The northern area of Garrison Bay is also a good place right now as far as open water. There is a shoreline access area 1mi south of the Cenex in Garrison then turn west. I would imagine the West Totten Trail ramp on the east end of sakakawea would also have ample areas although the west wind today may push an ice to that shoreline area. Just a few that I know of, hopefully you can get out!

Friday looks like a slightly less windy day...at least right now. Wonder if a guy could dump a little jon boat in somewhere? Thought Friday afternoon might throw the jon boat in the back of the truck...run to New Town...check Sanish Bay area...but maybe Douglas Bay/east end might be easier?

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friday looks like a slightly less windy day...at least right now. Wonder if a guy could dump a little jon boat in somewhere? Thought Friday afternoon might throw the jon boat in the back of the truck...run to New Town...check Sanish Bay area...but maybe Douglas Bay/east end might be easier?

I think you would be able to get a jon boat in at these places:
- Old marina at Ft Stevenson (east side)
- Definitely the OWL learning site shore access. I live just south of it and Garrison bay is wide open from the cabins north.
- Douglas Bay North Arm Ramp
- I would have to think West Totten Trail should have ample open areas
- Audubon North Lake
- Four Bears ramp is wide open, boats going out of there and fishing the bridge etc

Lots of opportunities! I have been driving around watching the last few nights as Im anxious to get my new boat in the water.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice...thanks B! What boat did you get this year? I'll be starting season 2 with my Lund Impact 1875 XS...enjoyed the first year in it...hopefully we can get the big boats out in the next week or 2. The weather/temps sure don't look too spring like the next week or so tho!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
BEULAH BAY — As thousands of North Dakotans quarantine during the state’s COVID-19 crisis, a welcome sight has returned to the bays of Lake Sakakawea: the Humpback Whale.

The majestic mammals were once thought to be extinct from North Dakota’s waters, however, a pair of humpbacks were spotted near Beaulah Bay on Lake Sakakawea over the weekend.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice...thanks B! What boat did you get this year? I'll be starting season 2 with my Lund Impact 1875 XS...enjoyed the first year in it...hopefully we can get the big boats out in the next week or 2. The weather/temps sure don't look too spring like the next week or so tho!
I partnered up with North Country Marine in Garrison and am running a 2020 Yar-Craft 209TFX. So far very amazed with this boat. I got to play with her a bit on Thursday night and again yesterday. There is plenty of open water you just have to find it!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74