Trailer Upgrades, Bunks, Tires and Jack.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've spent a lot of my time over the last week and a half replacing bunks, tires and even the jack on my trailer. I'll put some pictures up once I get this started. I'm on my tablet now.

But I can't believe how deteriorated the brackets were holding the bunks on the trailer.

I should've done this last August, but kit took me forever to find the right brackets. Finally went to Moritz and had them order them. I was planning on doing it after work and weekends, but this shutdown gave me the time. The carpeting of the bunks went real smooth, I even caked the wood in wood glue to seal them up nice.

Lucky I all this extra time too, as while airing up my tires two valve stems broke, and I had to take them tires off in the mud. Fn Ranger rims look nice but suck if you use a tire iron. You can barley fit it on the lug nuts as the rim is just such a tight fit, need to use a socket. The tires were pretty bad so I put 4 new ones on. Since I only had one spare, and live 50 miles from anywhere that sells tires, I could only get two put on rims. Lucky one of our bus drivers helped me out and put the other two on for me.

Then the jack was giving out, and I barely got the boat off my truck. So my trailer is a fancy one with fiberglass surrounding the special jack. I just cut a bigger hole. But what would seem like a 1 hour project ends up taking the better part of a day. I had to take the jack apart from the bracket as the bracket is welded to my trailer. The one I bought was held one by snap clip. Needed a buddy to help me as I don't have the right tool . One thing after another I tell you.

But today, my buddy took my boat out while I went home and replace the bunks. That heavy MFer slid right on and my Drottolatch hooked up on the first try!!

Everything on the boat was working, and both motors started right up!! And the F.N trailer is finally done!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, most the time LOL. Where I live trailer lights are just showing off.

- - - Updated - - -

20200407_154207.jpg

Look at these .... man they're bad. I had too duct tape two of my bunks on last summer

- - - Updated - - -

20200407_130826.jpg

Half way point.

- - - Updated - - -

20200407_140826.jpg

FINALLY!!

- - - Updated - - -

Now I gotta get that stupid SD plate off ahhhrgg. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

20200401_112517.jpg

P.O.S old jack. MFer was a bitch to swing, no room.

- - - Updated - - -

20200406_155446.jpg
Much better. I've always been good at making holes bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

20200331_143913.jpg

Had to get creative and use some Injun uity .... after putting the spare on, the tire in front, damn valve stem broke ;:;banghead Had to do it all over again..in reverse. The next day I went n got tires, only could get two on rims. It was snowing when I got home, so just put one on, and hunkered down a couple days.

- - - Updated - - -

20200407_155237.jpg

READY TO GO NOW!!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Corrosion made it look like you were in and out of saltwater. Should be in good shape for awhile. My experience fixing some things is that I wonder if engineers who design things ever have to work on them. The good news sounds like you didn't lose any fishing time during the repair.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to kick these engineers in the nutz. I almost became one too lol.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I lost at least 2 fishing trips this spring had I done it last fall. I just didn't have the time and ambition last fall. It slides a little better on the new bunks it seems. The Drotto latch is working perfectly! And the first time on the water I boated my personal best walleye!

I would upgrade to a full windshield in a heartbeat if I could find a good used one. Might have to check in to getting a new one. The wife doesn't like the wind in her ears. Says she gets ear aches.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bunks are bad too, not looking forward to the work, but it is a must.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDEA. For those of you that want to do this work to your rig, I would be a very responsible adult and take your boat out on the water for the day, no charge.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDEA. For those of you that want to do this work to your rig, I would be a very responsible adult and take your boat out on the water for the day, no charge.

my bunks are rebuilt and done so I’ll bring the beer and sammichs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I lost at least 2 fishing trips this spring had I done it last fall. I just didn't have the time and ambition last fall. It slides a little better on the new bunks it seems. The Drotto latch is working perfectly! And the first time on the water I boated my personal best walleye!

I would upgrade to a full windshield in a heartbeat if I could find a good used one. Might have to check in to getting a new one. The wife doesn't like the wind in her ears. Says she gets ear aches.

Are you talking a new windshield, or a whole 'nother boat?

As far as the wife, I suggest earplugs. Even if they don't stop the wind from howling in her ears, they will at least take 23 decibels off of her complaint. My fishing buddy was wearing some the other day on a standard 15 mp wind with gusts to 22. It took me a while to figure out why he was wearing them, and then I just figured he'd probably already heard most of my stories.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could just go get 'nother boat. No I would like a full windshield. I think she bought a headband that covers ears.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could just go get 'nother boat. No I would like a full windshield. I think she bought a headband that covers ears.

While I am not overly familiar with specifics, I do know there are boat junkyards on the web. You might be able to pick one up from there, but I'm guessing it would still be cost prohibitive based on the new value of boat glass.

Nonetheless, I totally get why a person would want a windshield in ND. Having one probably adds 10 days a year of fishing for me. There are times where I like to hide behind the windshield and just pull cranks because I'd not be jigging in 20+ mph winds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75