Canned deer meat recipes

Okie918

Other than fish, I’ve never heard one person in my life talk about canning red meat. I take that as it must not be that great, otherwise more people would do it. What’s with that?

- - - Updated - - -

“Hey, lets grill venison steaks.”

“Na, I’d rather have canned meat instead.”

ha
Lots of things to make with canned deer, gravy & mashed taters, cook veggies and add
deer when tender, soups & stews.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad this popped up, I haven't canned deer for years but co-worker gave me the shoulders from his deer this year and I cubed it for canning just haven't done it yet. My kids used to come home from school and open up a jar, microwave it and eat it with crackers, also make really good stroganoff. If I remember right I browned the cubes in a bit of oil then packed them in the jars. No added salt, pepper or other spices. I have to find the recipe I used to use.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can do all sorts of stuff. I usually do just raw meat and a teaspoon of salt. Another good one is a squirt of sriracha sauce in it with the raw cubed meat. I have heard people put a bullion cube in with it instead of salt.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I’ve canned venison, moose, sausage, tuna, salmon, pike, perch, pheasant and even did some buffalo this fall. For the red meat it’s a great way to tenderize the tougher portions. Most of the recipes I’ve seen recommend the 10-15 lbs for 90 min, 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt per pint. I prefer to use an Ives Way canner that uses aluminum cans, over the glass jars. Use it for quick easy meals.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my co-workers brought a jar of canned venison in a couple years back. Opened it up and we tried it straight from the jar without heating it. Holy Fack was it good. He sent me the recipe he uses and I've been swearing i'm gonna try it myself ever since but I just haven't gotten around to it.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my co-workers brought a jar of canned venison in a couple years back. Opened it up and we tried it straight from the jar without heating it. Holy Fack was it good. He sent me the recipe he uses and I've been swearing i'm gonna try it myself ever since but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Care to share the recipe?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve canned venison, moose, sausage, tuna, salmon, pike, perch, pheasant and even did some buffalo this fall. For the red meat it’s a great way to tenderize the tougher portions. Most of the recipes I’ve seen recommend the 10-15 lbs for 90 min, 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt per pint. I prefer to use an Ives Way canner that uses aluminum cans, over the glass jars. Use it for quick easy meals.
where do you buy your cans, Ives Way canner, etc.?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Aluminum? What is the advantage?

Do the covers seal like the covers on a glass jar when prior placed in a pressure cooker?
Been doing it this way for over 40 years.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Wells Can Company is the place to get the cans, and they may be tin? The tapered ones feel lighter and I assume they are aluminum. They look cool when you give them as a gift, but probably isn’t an advantage as far as the product goes. If you have a connection across the border the shipping isn’t too bad. It is common to see them in Alaskan fishing villages, so I thought it’d be cool to have one. Same process as jars except the lid doesn’t indent as pronounced. Bought mine on EBAY.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Care to share the recipe?
Sure can.

in quart jars, fill with chunks of venison, add 1 tsp canning salt, 2 tbsp chopped onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic. Put your lids on and process for 90 minutes @ 11#

It's a pretty simple recipe, but it was really freakin good.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure can.

in quart jars, fill with chunks of venison, add 1 tsp canning salt, 2 tbsp chopped onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic. Put your lids on and process for 90 minutes @ 11#

It's a pretty simple recipe, but it was really freakin good.
Thank you!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88