TTA Surgery problems

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog had her 2nd TTA late September and all was going well thru the winter. We went out fishing a week or so ago and she came up lame. We took her to the local vet whom said she has arthritis, that did not set well with me so I got hold of the surgeon whom is in Canada for his opinion. I sent him the x-rays, he found that she had broke the metal plate(fork), and 2 screws that were put in until the bone healed.
I contacted the local vet and he said he saw nothing, its only arthritis.
So I was able to get her back to Canada yesterday and the surgeon went in, removed the screws and broken piece. She was starting to develop an infection where the broke piece was rubbing against the bone causing the discomfort, on antibiotics now, that should clear in 7 days.
We are back home where she is resting comfortably. Recovery time should be a couple of weeks and by then hope we have some open water for her to swim and build the muscle back.

I thought this morning, where would she be if I only listened to the local vet as she has an infection, I shake my head with disgust. So I suggest if something doesn't sound right, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Our vet in Manitoba is simply the best for us I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Hug your hounds people, they are bright sunshine on the crappiest days!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some guys just like to pass the buck off to the next guy. Laziness can be worse than cluelessness. Some mechanics are the worst for this too, I'm glad it worked out for you and the pup.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73