Slow your ass down and pay attention!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was waist deep in the MO river early one foggy morning. I mean foggy. Sounds travel a long ways in the fog. I heard a boat start up, across the river.

A while later, I'm just standing still, wading waist deep, and I hear a sniff. I look up and a guy creeping along, trolling upstream very slowly materialized out of the fog, and was about 3 ft away. He barely saw me before I went out of view beneath the bow. We both about crapped our pants.

He was not to blame, nor was I. We just didn't see each other. Glad I didn't get a propeller haircut.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I remember correctly we caught fish the entire way too!
Spring 2012, we put in in a light fog @ Hazelton, headed downstream towards Ft. Rice. Not very far downstream the fog became so thick that both GPS units lost signal (external antenna). The visibility was as poor as I can ever recall, short, I mean short distance. We could hear other fisher-people, but couldn't see any other boats nor either shoreline. It got so thick, I couldn't tell what direction I was drifting. Obviously "downstream", but, I couldn't tell where "downstream" was. No magnetic compass in the boat. We drifted almost all the way to the Ft. Rice landing and came out of the fog almost like a wall.

It was spooky, because you'd hear boats get up on plane leaving Hazelton and you'd just have to pray that when they got to the zero visibility fog that they'd slow down. No accidents that day, but, it could easily happen, and very quickly.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously the OP has more info about this, posting that pick without providing it is dumb.

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wreckless driver came up on them at a high rate of speed from the rear.
His excuse for hitting them "I got caught in your wake"....
Lucky no one was killed, thank God.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wreckless driver came up on them at a high rate of speed from the rear.
His excuse for hitting them "I got caught in your wake"....
Lucky no one was killed, thank God.

Lame-o as an excuse even in fog he would have been able to see that he was inside the wake of another boat and would have been able to judge how close he was by how tight the wake waves were.

It is common where we fished on the Pacific to follow party boats out to the salmon schools and let them knock down the swells. When we got to the fleet we would break out from the party boat wake and find a place to fish.

He had to have been not paying attention and wasn't watching where he was going. Do boaters here have auto-pilot and could that have been the problem??? Lots of boaters on the ocean have auto-pilot when they have to run several hours out to get to the albacore tuna grounds ... usually 25 to 40 miles offshore. Albacore seldom come in off the continental shelf ... 10,000' deep or more.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just throwing it out there, was the other guy driving a Ranger?? Just what I imagine...…:;:stirthepot

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounded like skeeter on skeeter violence.

Why you gotta be like that [MENTION=229]DirtyMike[/MENTION]? Hmm? Why you gotta be like that?

For the record, I'm not overtaking a canoe with my Skeeter.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
untitled.png
JayKay, You shouldn't have been wearing your mask while fishing. LOL

I was waist deep in the MO river early one foggy morning. I mean foggy. Sounds travel a long ways in the fog. I heard a boat start up, across the river.

A while later, I'm just standing still, wading waist deep, and I hear a sniff. I look up and a guy creeping along, trolling upstream very slowly materialized out of the fog, and was about 3 ft away. He barely saw me before I went out of view beneath the bow. We both about crapped our pants.

He was not to blame, nor was I. We just didn't see each other. Glad I didn't get a propeller haircut.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
One boat on top of another...That's not social distancing.

Just wondering what part of the river did this happen at? If they were a long way from the ramp, that trip back would have been interesting. Did one boat stay on top of the other boat? If this happens to me with my daughters in the boat, not sure how well I keep my cool. Loading the boats on the trailers afterward must have been interesting and the conversation at the ramp had to been interesting too. If the driver is who I have been told it is, lets just say he is known to be an asshole on the water. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
14727493_180558752402082_9138190629078040576_n.jpg
JayKay, You shouldn't have been wearing your mask while fishing. LOL

I was wearing a Mexican Wrestling mask, with gators and flames on it.

Nah, seriously though, it was dead quiet, and I heard a sniff, like he was maybe gonna sneeze, and he was almost at the tip of my rod.

Also, those stupid beavers will sneak up on a guy wading, and about turn your hair white when the splash right beside ya.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have a 20 ft tiller boat with a bow mount trolling motor it was very hard to see at times. scared the shat out of myself more than once.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have a 20 ft tiller boat with a bow mount trolling motor it was very hard to see at times. scared the shat out of myself more than once.

Yeah for some reason everyone thinks a tiller is the way to go on the river. I have one too for a river boat, but when it comes to being able to see where you are going while trying to not hit sandbars, logs, boats etc...they kind of suck. Sitting in the back of a boat looking around another guy and over your trolling motor isn't ideal. My next boat will be a single console.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah for some reason everyone thinks a tiller is the way to go on the river. I have one too for a river boat, but when it comes to being able to see where you are going while trying to not hit sandbars, logs, boats etc...they kind of suck. Sitting in the back of a boat looking around another guy and over your trolling motor isn't ideal. My next boat will be a single console.

looking around guys up front looking backwards not watching wtf is going on.

Hawk67

First time poster, I did many avenues of questions and the same name comes up. _OE WETTER of _OE WETTER DESTRUCTION. Why keep it secret boys. Correct me if I am wrong.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
We all make mistakes, sometimes they result in a loss of life, other times they can become a learning lesson. I can’t count the times I’ve done stupid things and just got lucky. Before we get the rope out, find a mirror and ask yourself if you ever had a near miss and learned from it. I think we can all be thankful that the sparkly boat shop has a work order instead of Eastgate Funeral home.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
This was during the week and No Minnatucky's or Sconni's to be found and this was "SDMF" done by a non tournament fisherman!!!! Thank God no one was hurt and hopefully the 5yr old that was in the boat will someday get back in a boat!!! Slow down people!!!! This excuse that if I am on plane is better then a slow wake is BULLSHIT as well!! If I am in my 16 ft. boat you wake me to shore ASSHAT!! And the new Millenials wear the face skarfs AKA sun protection so they think you will not recognize them off the water and will pull within a rooster tail of you in a spot and not say a word and think nothing of it. RUDE !! can't wait to see one on a sand bar!!

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to see everyone is okay. Getting caught in a someone else's wake is no excuse. Common sense has been thrown out the window with a lot of people. But it seems we need bigger boats and more horse power.

I run a tiller & when I run the river I just stand up when running.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76