Slow your ass down and pay attention!

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Was out last night up north and saw 2 kayak's that put in at Hogue around 8;30 and head over to heskit side and about got run over. Not blaming anyone, but why don't kayaks have lights??

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the better question is why would someone boat in any floater on such a busy river without a means of letting other craft know your location in the dark?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the better question is why would someone boat in any floater on such a busy river without a means of letting other craft know your location in the dark?
^^^^^^
Prolly not legal either.

I'm on Metigoshe in the summer and what really gets my goat is drivers on pontoons that cruise the Lake after dark with their DOCKING lights on. When I approach them I just move way to the side and stop. The docking lights prevent you from seeing the nav lights, so you cannot tell which side they will pass you by. I know it is against the "rules of the road" to be under way with your docking lights on but the Warden and Deputy Sheriff do not stay on the Lake after dark.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nav lights = mosquitos

most pontoons have those white lights way up high and they hang towards the back = less mosquitos. and most have those blue led -- shit you can see em from a mile. Speed kills

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
But.. but lights are cool! More lights, gotta have them.

Nevermind that they overpower your nav lights. Nevermind that they blind your fellow boater. They look cool. See also, 1500 watts stereo with a few 15" subs, to bring your personal playlist to everybody within 2 miles. Trust me, we all appreciate Old Town Road.

Switching gears somewhat, I know that personal water craft are not allowed to be operated after dark. They are not required to have lights, so they're not allowed. I'll see one zipping by in the late dusk every now and again. I've even been there, done that. Dangerous and illegal. I believe I read somewhere, that the difference between a PWC and a boat is that you're ON a PWC, and you're IN a boat.

Regarding canoes, rafts, inner tubes, and kayaks, I'm not sure. They're not required to have built-in lights. Are they required to show a light though?

I'd guess, if you were paddling down the river, and got run over, you'd be right. Might be dead-right though...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No BS, Lights or no lights, running a boat in the dark scares the crap outta me.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel that being out in the dark is fine, if you slow down. You might follow your GPS trail, so you may not hit shallow water, but that will not help you avoid other boats, or anything floating in the water. We've gotten home with GPS at night on Devils, and it's great. But we are driving very slow.

Same in a river. Stuff floating downstream all the time. Gotta go slow. What's the rush? It's already 2 in the morning, for cripes sake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79