Deer hunting success

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can only speak of the area I hunt and know as well as the hunters I know. It seems to me that a lot of landowner tags go unfilled. Usually it's because many of them are pretty fussy on filling the tag and don't care if they fill the tag unless it's what they consider a trophy. On the general tag draw there are also more trophy hunters than in the past. One of the reasons for that in my opinion is the years we had with many deer. When I started hunting most hunters shot the first buck they saw or risked not seeing another in the 9 1/2 day season.

Add in the amount of posted land compared to 20-30 years ago and a lot of opinions when a hunters sees a posted sign and the thought is, "Can't hunt there." If you stopped at every farm you saw and asked permission most would be surprised at how often permission was granted, especially if those contacts were made prior to the hunting season.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can only speak of the area I hunt and know as well as the hunters I know. It seems to me that a lot of landowner tags go unfilled. Usually it's because many of them are pretty fussy on filling the tag and don't care if they fill the tag unless it's what they consider a trophy. On the general tag draw there are also more trophy hunters than in the past. One of the reasons for that in my opinion is the years we had with many deer. When I started hunting most hunters shot the first buck they saw or risked not seeing another in the 9 1/2 day season.

Add in the amount of posted land compared to 20-30 years ago and a lot of opinions when a hunters sees a posted sign and the thought is, "Can't hunt there." If you stopped at every farm you saw and asked permission most would be surprised at how often permission was granted, especially if those contacts were made prior to the hunting season.

Of the 3 or 4 landowners I know well, all would be described as above and almost never harvest a deer. With crop work seemingly getting later and later I think it's become more common.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77