Best places to fly fish in ND

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
Just got into fly fishing and wondering what are some of the best flies to use and best places to fish for trout or panfish

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What part of state do you live and what are you after?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils lake or the garrison diversion lakes for some big pike would be my first suggestion this time of year

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
To just get some casting in close to Bismarck, McDowell is an option for blue gill and some bass and trout. For better luck for trout, fish creek can be decent at times.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black Hills has a lot to offer within 5-6 hours of home if you want a weekend trip.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we first got into fly fishing we actually used to go up to the tailrace got a few large browns and rainbows by the boat ramp at times and also hiking along the river we stumbled onto some spots, used mostly nymphs and other hand tied floaters and streamers. There is a pond by the downstream campground that used to be well stocked too. If your not trout specific nelson lake was always fun fly fishing as far as action and let you try out several types of flies. also the little lakes around town Harmon McDowell crown butte used to have fish that would eat a fly. The black hills was always a fun trip as someone else mentioned too not only the streams but the small stocked lakes were pretty good fishing.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Once upon a time there was a fly fishing club out of Bismarck but I'm not sure anymore?

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member

I believe it was the Missouri Valley fly fishers. Pretty sure they folded up along with the one in Minot. Pretty aging demographic in those two groups.

Don't get too hung up on trout or even panfish if you want to learn to fly fish in ND.

Everything can be caught on a fly. We have some unbelievable smallie and northern fishing. Carp are also very overlooked and are a blast. Once you get the hang of things, the tailrace and everythign that swims in it is a good option as well.

It can be a simple or as complicated as you want to make it. If I were you I'd get a bunch of woolly bugger sizes, colors and variations and start hitting Audubon, New Johns, the canal lakes or even any of the small heavy populated pike lakes around in the next month and you'll have a blast catching smallies and northerns.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nygren Dam down toward Flasher might be a place to try. G+F stocks catchable Brown Trout every spring and there are Bluegills and Largemouth Bass in it too.

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
The local fly fishing club disbanded a few years back. Do you have a boat, float tube etc., or are you looking at shore fishing?

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get over toward Fargo, I can help you out. Or maybe meet up somewhere in the middle...

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Northgate Dam used to be good for fly fishing for trout and walleye

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Add walleyes and perch to your list. We used to pound them river fishing, used small white crappie killers. Don't overlook small spoons, spinners, etc. A few years ago I was trolling at Devils Lake when a couple guys pulled up to fly fish for white bass. They had a fish every cast with yellow streamers. It was C&R and their arms wore out in no time. White bass and a 5wt rod are just plain fun.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When we first got into fly fishing we actually used to go up to the tailrace got a few large browns and rainbows by the boat ramp at times and also hiking along the river we stumbled onto some spots, used mostly nymphs and other hand tied floaters and streamers. There is a pond by the downstream campground that used to be well stocked too. If your not trout specific nelson lake was always fun fly fishing as far as action and let you try out several types of flies. also the little lakes around town Harmon McDowell crown butte used to have fish that would eat a fly. The black hills was always a fun trip as someone else mentioned too not only the streams but the small stocked lakes were pretty good fishing.
What wt rod did you use at the tailrace? There are some huge trout in there I don’t think a 5wt would hold up. What was your go to fly to use?

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you were using bigger flies with bigger hooks. The small stuff wouldn’t hold up to the monster trout unless you were catching small ones?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't remember exactly for sure it was 15 years since I have last fly fished but I think it was a 9 foot 7 or 8 wt orvis rod we bought it at cabelas but we also had a 5 wt 8.5ft cabelas brand too and some old fiberglass thing that worked better for moving cows than fishing. I usually used a 4-8lb leader depending on the fly hook size, we tied a lot of our own stuff using #4-8 hooks in nymph and caddis style along with streamers at the race. We tied almost all of ours from pheasant/grouse feathers and deer tails and horse hair. One of the rods came with a bunch of smaller flies im guessing #10-14 and we had bought a few from a shop on a trip to estes park once, and we mimicked a yelowstone nymph, woolybuggers, and other caddis flys. I broke more flies off casting than fish did I know that much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66