"Hiker" style hunting boot recommendation?

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Kurt and Fly, fit matters most. All the quality and durability in the world don't matter if your feet hurt. I'd rather go through twice as many pairs than have issues with pain and blisters. I have a weirdly shaped wide foot and could never get into most of the highest rated hunting boots that you hear of. Most are too narrow. I do have a Vasque hiker that I like now. Durability has been good for the last couple years. Only wear them hiking, warm weather hunting or general outdoor work. I have had good luck at Red Wing stores as long as there was a knowledgeable sales rep. I am about an hour from Red Wing, MN so I get the added benefit of shopping at the main store. Go in and tell them what you are looking for and a good sales rep will point you in the right direction.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the reality is you need a few pairs of boots that fit your feet well AND have their own advantages. I think I own 3 currently, and usually have 4. They are all bought to fill a niche as no single footwear is the "best" at all situations. We have those (my Timberlands) that we like for general wear under normal conditions, but even I go to my Keens when I need waterproof.

We haven't even started talking about insulation levels!

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. My favorite boot of all time is still the USMC's Jungle Boot.

Absolutely no waterproofing, but it also had no insulation, steel shank for just the right amount of support (and protection agains bungi sticks), and breather holes for wearing them in the heat. I bet I've had 15 pairs over the years. For dry conditions they are like wearing slippers around the house to me.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I'd like to bitch slap the A-hole who started insulating ordinary warm weather hikers.

Douche!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the reality is you need a few pairs of boots that fit your feet well AND have their own advantages. I think I own 3 currently, and usually have 4. They are all bought to fill a niche as no single footwear is the "best" at all situations. We have those (my Timberlands) that we like for general wear under normal conditions, but even I go to my Keens when I need waterproof.

I agree and disagree all at once LOL! I agree there is no perfect boot for everything. That said, I long for more simplicity. Remember when you had a pair of boots and that is what you wore? And you had a shotgun & rifle you used for everything? Now I have a light set of boots, heavy set of boots, treestand boots, ice fishing boots, muck boots, a waterfowl shotgun, an upland gun, deer rifle, elk rifle, a prairie dog rifle, a coyote rifle, etc. it goes on and on. Trying to narrow it down a bit more, less crap sitting around in the long run.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trax,
I prefer shorter hiker style boots as well. The problem I have experienced with some of the ones already mentioned is durability (last a season), waterpoofness, and lack of support when in certain situations like side hilling.
Last year I tried a Crispi Colorado and I feel its a great combination of what Im looking for. Besides hunting season, I wore them daily all winter as my boot. They have held up Ok, although I probably wont ever wear my primary hunting boots as daily's ever again. It did wear on them more then I expected.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go back and forth from Merrell's to Keen's for my day to day footwear. Quality seems similar, though the waterproofing on them seems to hold up really well. I tried a bunch of stuff on today and I hate to say it but I may end of with boots from the Land of the East. Just did not find a set of Italian boots that I liked. Was really excited to try on Vasque's but they didn't do it for me. The Salomon's fit well as did a couple other higher end Land of the East boots. Thanks for all the ideas, it was a great help when trying things on!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had tried a few boots over the years but always tore my feet up when out west. I finally tried Meindle from Cabelas and finally had a boot that would work for me. 6 years later and hundreds if not thousands of miles they have finally broke down and the sides just don't hold up anymore when in big steep country. I kept them for around home but just got the Meindle Kibo GTX and while a little more exspensive then the others I have got to have a boot that fits and supports while in hills or steep ground or I will tear up my feet. Keep in mind I wear these boots from early season through our winter hunting coyotes and I have never had a boot keep me warm enough yet can hunt earlier also.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Crispi Briksdal SF (currently available at campfire link above) are what I switched to last year and love them. Might be a little overkill, they are STIFF. I was running salewa boots before. I really like their Crow GTX for a light pack everyday boot. I even took em on a couple goat hunts and they were great. Highly recommend for what it sounds like you need. The Salewa Raven GTX wee a little too wide for me so I bumped up to the Crispi for a stiff mountaineer pack boot.

Ive also ran HanWag Alaskans about 5 years ago that were great but again, not stiff enough. They would be great for an everyday hiker.. The founders of HanWag and Lowa were brothers so they’re basically the same awesome boot. I can’t stand wearing a tight boot over 10 inches so I never liked the Kenetreks.

cgreene

Ive been wearing the Lowa Men's Tibet GTX for a few years now. Its really comfortable to wear them. What I like about them is that it doesnt hurt my feet even after walking for hours.

Josh Havelka

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using the Merrell Moab's for my normal hunting boot. Used them Elk hunting in Colorado for four years, then use them for deer hunting here in ND.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Is anyone interested in a pair of meindl comfort fit hikers size 11.5? I bought them this spring and they are not working for me. Will sell for a healthy discount.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought some Crispi Summit boots on Camofire ($199) and I'm pleased to announce they fit like a glove and they're light light light.

Been wearing them around work to break them in somehwat.

Morel season can't come soon enough, although it appears it will be slightly delayed due to BS.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought some Crispi Summit boots on Camofire ($199) and I'm pleased to announce they fit like a glove and they're light light light.

Been wearing them around work to break them in somehwat.

Morel season can't come soon enough, although it appears it will be slightly delayed due to BS.

If they fit like a glove does that mean they have individual pockets for each toe? I don’t think I’d like that.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Kenetrek Corrie 3.2 that has been good for me. Bought for earlier season.
Cabela's Meindl is the best as far as comfort. I once put them on for the first use as I had forgotten I bought them, for an Idaho elk hunt with Kurt R. Toughest hunt ever for me. No issues with feet. Down side is the soles. I wore them 2 years ago in WY for a cow hunt. It had snowed and I had forgot my trekking poles at camp. Sticks under the snow on a side hill were extremely slippery. Better lug soles would have helped some. If that's not the kind of terrain you're going to use them in I would suggest the Meindl's. I've got a couple pairs of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's but they serve a whole other purpose.

bigsky2

Crispi Summit GTX. They have a lot of seams so I'm not sure how waterproof they are. Any time I see there's a chance to get wet I have wore my boots that are far less comfortable. I also had a pair of Salomon Quest GTX and those were also very comfortable, but definitely not waterproof.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been wearing the Lowa Renegade GTX for a couple years now and have been pretty impressed. They've been on a few backpack trips in the mountains and wear them hunting until it's too cold. Literally no break in and super durable.

I have had a few pair of the Lowa Renegade GTX over the past 30 years, and swear by them for a hiking/walking boot. I got tired of my Danner hunting boots giving me blisters, so I bought a couple of pairs of the Lowa Hunting boots (uninsulated) and highly recommend them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77