"Hiker" style hunting boot recommendation?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old boots are at the end of their life so turkey hunting I've been using my Keen hiking boots. The level of comfort compared to a 9" leather boot is incredible. I'm going to try out a more "hiker" style hunting boot next. Maybe that isn't the right term, but something 6-7" tall max, light weight, a bit more flexible. I've looked around the internet and don't have any good ideas what to go with. The Irish Setter Vaprtrek's look like something I would like, but the reviews are bad with poor durability. Under Armour has some boots in this style too but I have not been impressed with their products. Does anyone have a recommendation here? Thanks!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Keen hikers that I bought last year at Scheels. I really like them. No idea how durable but the Keen low shoes are great.
Bm
I also have a short Vasque Breeze pair for working around the yard. They are comfortable and cooler. My keens have insulation which is too warm for me in the summer.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl Vakuum Hiker is what I wear pretty much daily this time of year until things dry out completely.
I prefer it to the Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hiker which I've owned for about a decade. . The Meindl is quite a bit more flexible in the sole than the Kennetrek. They both have their place but day in/day out I prefer the Meindl.

My Meindl's are either 3 or 4 years old, I was standing in water almost to the top of them yesterday for ~10min and my feet stayed dry.

When it comes to boots, comfort and longevity mean USA and European production. Everything made in the Pacific Rim is a different shade of dog-shit. It doesn't matter what the box/label/brand says regarding the Pacific Rim, it's all junk.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep meindl hikers are a great boot I got a pair when they made the
for cabelas and now that meindl has a North American sure it’s a no brainer I will be getting what sdmf has when these where out. I have a pair of mountain extremes from kenetrek I really like but don’t need that stiffness around here.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking for the same thing and decided on crispi wyoming boots. So far I have been happy with them. Not as comfortable as kenetrek.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like Cresta Hikers from LL Bean. Have 3 pair I rotate as I wear them every day.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my second pair of these. Incredible durability and comfort. After 6 years, I sent the first pair in to be resoled two weeks ago. Buy nice or buy twice.

30800.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OB3PIY/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been wearing the Lowa Renegade GTX for a couple years now and have been pretty impressed. They've been on a few backpack trips in the mountains and wear them hunting until it's too cold. Literally no break in and super durable.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The salamon quest 4d gtx are awesome boots, but they aren't waterproof. Aside from that, they are super comfortable. Spent a few years elk hunting in them during the early season, and still wear them around here when snow/water isn't a big concern.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like my Lowa ranger gtx.
Great support and rugged as hell.
lowab516435_126454_jb.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hiking in ND (or in general), I've never understood the attraction to the super stiff sole of a Keen. I have a pair and will never wear the damn things out, but I only take them out when it's snow covered terrain in 20-45 degree temps because of their great waterproofing.

Otherwise, I like a softer soled boot for traction and comfort. They tend to be cheaper and not as waterproof, but I wear the Timberlands I bought last year (?) as a replacement for a 10+ yr old pair of Rockies for damn near everything from April-November, and my feet couldn't be happier. Yeah, yeah, boot aficianodos will snub their noses at them, but they work great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

s-l1000.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

note, while it does piss me off...if the tongue gets wet, you get wet on the Timberlands.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hiking in ND (or in general), I've never understood the attraction to the super stiff sole of a Keen. I have a pair and will never wear the damn things out, but I only take them out when it's snow covered terrain in 20-45 degree temps because of their great waterproofing.

Otherwise, I like a softer soled boot for traction and comfort. They tend to be cheaper and not as waterproof, but I wear the Timberlands I bought last year (?) as a replacement for a 10+ yr old pair of Rockies for damn near everything from April-November, and my feet couldn't be happier. Yeah, yeah, boot aficianodos will snub their noses at them, but they work great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

NDA-jpg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

note, while it does piss me off...if the tongue gets wet, you get wet on the Timberlands.

did you mean kenetrek not keen because keens are definitely not stiff. Bought a pair of keens for work biggest piece of shit boot I have ever had even worse than the danner pronghorn

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, my Keen hikers are very stiff soled.

- - - Updated - - -

They are probably almost 10 years old though, so maybe they've changed it up a little over the years?

cache.php

Last edited:

bilbo

Honored Member
Keens are comfy and fit my foot well, but the outsoles seem to wear out really fast for me so I don't buy them any more. Also, I've not had luck with their waterproofing. Waterproofing membranes in my boots always seem to fail quickly at the same spot, where the boot flexes near the ball of the foot. My latest hiking/hunting boots are Crispis and they have been good so far. I tried 6" hikers one year and kept getting little poky grass parts in them, so now I mostly wear taller boots for hunting. Especially in dry fall weather.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would say most important is buy one that fits your feet not others. I tried crispi and they did not work for my feet but others love them same with the kennys i love them others hate them

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would say most important is buy one that fits your feet not others.
This is the best advice on boots there is. I had really bad luck with Italian (Crispi, Asolo and Vasque), but most dudes I hunt with swear by them

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the recommendations. Couldn't sleep last night and was going through reviews....that was a mistake. Then today I called around to some of my hunting buddies and that too was a mistake. I'm certainly a buy once cry once type shopper, but I'm not sure which way to go. I wear Keen's as a daily shoe, they last about a year and I'm fine with what I get. But I would never call them stiff or ever think of them as a hunting boot. Not durable enough. I LOVE Salomon running shoes, but the Quest GTX gets great reviews other than the fact it doesn't stay waterproof. WTF, a Gore-Tex boot that doesn't stay waterproof? My Keen's do better than that. I had one good pair of Danner's and the rest have been shit. I also tried Cabelas Meindl's on and never found the fit I wanted. One of my buddies has the Lowa Renegades and the sole is coming off year two. Seriously? The Vasque Breeze III gets way poorer reviews than the II's. It seems no matter the boot I looked at, regardless of price range, none had clean reviews.

Going to just have to try a bunch on and cross my fingers I guess!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75