epilepsy in dogs

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't agree more. I ended up having her put down today. I cried like a baby and I have a feeling I'm not done. She had so much life left that she was cheated out of because of plain old shitty luck. This was not a good day.

Sorry to hear that. Having a new puppy biggest fears i have is something like that I cant imagine having to make that decision.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My condolences to you and family. Poor pup at least won't have to suffer anymore.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So sorry to hear but if it was that bad you did the right thing. Life just not fair sometimes and I have felt the pain you and your family are going through. Prayers to get you through. LB

Perch_herder

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty, so sorry for your family's loss. It is evident how much of an impact this dog had on you in such a short time.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really appreciate the kind words, thoughts, prayers, and sentiments. Like some of you said It helps to know she won’t have another night like last night but man, what a somber atmosphere around here. It’s the 99% of the time she was just being a healthy puppy I can’t get past. This wasn’t an old dog with hundreds of hunts and camping trips and walks through the woods behind her. She had 6 hunts (so glad I took her last fall a few times) and hadn’t even taken her first swim yet. My springer is laying here with me and keeps popping up at every sound thinking it’s her buddy. I’ve lost other dogs and it is always tough. I’m not sure I can get over how quickly things all changed in just three or four weeks with this one. It’s like someone pulled the rug out from under all the plans we had for this spring and summer and fall. I can’t really talk about it yet so rambling and typing helps a little. Anyway, I know most if not all of you can relate so thanks again.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crap. While I was holding some hope for the girl, this is what I was afraid of deep down. So sorry to hear this Dirty, and I cried like a baby as I took my first GSP to meet his maker. It sucks.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never used to hear about this, now it seems quite common. Hmmm strange.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My last two dogs before this one I purchased through a registered kennel. 3 times the price but this is a reminder why it was a good idea. They lived or are still living a full life. The surprise I had with this dog obviously came from the lack of knowledge about the genetics of both parents and the unlucky genetic mix of the two. This also has opened my eyes to ask about epilepsy history of both lineages when I purchase a new dog...which won’t be for awhile. I’m not criticizing anyone who breeds their dog or buys from an unregistered breeder. It just isn’t for me anymore after this.

Last edited:

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Praying for you and your family! Hardest thing to go through

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My last two dogs before this one I purchased through a registered kennel. 3 times the price but this is a reminder why it was a good idea. They lived or are still living a full life. The surprise I had with this dog obviously came from the lack of knowledge about the genetics of both parents and the unlucky genetic mix of the two. This also has opened my eyes to ask about epilepsy history of both lineages when I purchase a new dog...which won’t be for awhile. I’m not criticizing anyone who breeds their dog or buys from an unregistered breeder. It just isn’t for me anymore after this.
Unfortunately that doesn't always eliminate these types of things. It helps reduce some of the risks but there are always shit happens moments. Like I said I had a pure bread lab pup from a quality breeder that died at 10 months from a blood disease. My next dog was a rescued lab mix that was the best dog I ever had. Hurt the same when I lossed both of them. It just flat out sucks.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your are right. Can’t eliminate the curveballs and reality life throws at you when you least expect it.
This is just me moving forward trying to minimize the risk of this particular issue happening again. That doesn’t mean it or something else won’t happen though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76