Picking Up Quarter and 1/2 dollars

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
CRAWLERS were OUT tonight.

We only had about 1/4 in of rain by midnight, so I thought I'd check and see if I could maybe get a couple dozen. Holy night crawlers batman. The damn ground was moving. I have people give me funny looks when I tell them I crawl around on the ground at night when its raining. I know it sounds crazy, but at $3.25 a dozen minimum, that's like picking up quarters. About half the ones I pick up are twice as long and fat as the ones you buy. I swear the bait dealers tear them in half.

I got 14 dozen tonight! It took me under an hour including getting the bedding ready, and counting out the haul. I'm getting too old for this crap, or so I thought. I just need to get healthier. I feel much better than I did last year.

I tried buying a flat of them a couple years ago from Cabelas. One of the worst purchases of my life! Never again would I buy a flat before I could inspect them.

Happycamper

Honored Member
When I was a kid, like 70 years ago. picking crawlers was part of the ritual and half the fun. I couldn't do it today without a trip to the chiropractor.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In '97 I had a few left after fishing one day and tossed them in the trees behind the house. Since then they have expanded out at least 300 yds from the dump site. I couldn't believe how the water would disappear into the ground after a rain because of all the crawlers so I've been picking them up after a rain and moving them out into the crop land. Don't know if it will work to soak up more water out there but worth a try. And yes, they do seem bigger than the ones you buy.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had those days of enjoying the rain and crawler hunting. Bending over a gazillion times in one night just isn't in the cards anymore. Yes, I looked at it as enjoyment but it's also tough on the ol' thighs, buttocks, and back the next day! I'm ordering a flat of crawlers today instead! lol

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last spring, I let my son in on a secret: If it rained in the spring, he could sneak out with me in after bed and pick worms (shhh, don't tell your sister!). There are few things in life that exudes as much joy as a 5-year-old in the pitch dark, in the rain and mud, with a flashlight slopping around picking gobs of night crawlers.

He's asked me no fewer than 100 times since, "when is it time to, you know, pick nightcrawlers again? Shhh, don't tell my sister!"

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I don't have to get up in the morning I went out again after I made this post and got another five dozen. This time I just went to the alley and tried to find the ones that were all the way out of their holes so I just had to pick them up. I can't believe one centimeter of rain brought them out that good.

I just cleaned out my beat fridge really good and could put real food in it but now I have minnows and nightcrawlers in there. I wish I would have kept a few of those nice little styrofoam containers I just threw them away.

The last five dozen I just picked up the fatties. I wish it were that easy every time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76