Pellet Grills and Smokers

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was thinking about getting a pellet grill/smoker and was looking at Traeger Pro 575.
Started reading reviews online and lately quite a few are complaining about them not heating at all or not heating past 300 degrees. Most say they aren't getting any satisfaction from Traeger on fixing the problem.
Which pellet grills do you guys have and which ones do you recommend and which ones to stay away from?
Appreciate the help!

Some said their Traeger's worked good the first year or two and then won't heat up. Quite a few complaining about this and they say Traeger isn't helping them solve the problem.

Last edited:

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
1wyzht.jpg

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the Camp Chef SG24 with Sear Box for a little over a year now. It's awesome. We have done all the normal stuff you would with a smoker, it'll grill up to 500 degrees...so things like burgers, chicken, steak, etc. are great. We've baked pizzas (my favorite to do), mac-n-cheese (my other favorite), and bread, cookies, fish, etc etc. It's just awesome. Bought a blanket for it as well to use in the winter more effiently.

The only thing I would change is I wish I would have gone with the Sidekick instead of the Sear Box. The Woodwind is the new line, and those seem nice too. They compare pretty closely with the Traeger's, the ash cup is what sold me on the Camp Chef over the Traeger.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a Traeger Ironwood for Christmas and it heats up no problem. Even using it in this past winter in 0 degrees it would heat up to 500 if needed. Took a bit longer and used a few more pellets than it does now, but not much longer or more. It's the newer style without the chimney and according to the salesman is supposed to heat more evenly than the chimney style ones. I didn't use any insulated type cover like my neighbor who has a chimney style one needs to use if he does it in the winter.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with Green Mountain Grill. I have a Daniel Boone and absolutely love it. Mine is the older model. They have a Daniel Boone Prime now and it has all the features that I wish mine had. I have a thermal blanket on mine and it heats up and holds temp even in the coldest ND days. Even before I had the thermal blanket it did amazing in the winter. But I can definitely tell I use less pellets in the winter with the blanket on it. Get a Green Mountain, run lumberjack pellets and get a Bull Rack rack system BR6 and you will not be disappointed.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green Mountains are great grills. I would have bought one but got a Camp Chef for really cheap. Not built like a Green Mountain but has been outstanding for 4+ years. I'd put it up against a Traeger all day long. Get a blanket too, saves uber amounts of pellets even in warm conditions.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I had a Traeger for 4 or 5 years liked it, but wanted more heat for steaks and burgers so I bought a Louisiana Grill. It gets too hot and sometimes fire will creep into auger and smoke will come out of the pellet bin if you don’t pay attention to what’s going on. Have buddies with green mountain and they seem to be a good choice, although when I buy another, I would take a serious look at the camp chef, with the side propane unit.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Traeger but if cooler out I think a thermal blanket is a must. That being said I would never buy from that company again. I had a warranty issue about a week after purchase and what a disaster to deal with! I think there are so many options to choose from and much less money also.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pit boss and love it . Camp chef is the other one I have seen used a lot either of those two are what I will buy again

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at them lately to replace my propane grill. I was reading on some other forums and Traeger was one of the least popular. Been looking at the Louisiana grills and they seem awesome! Built like a tank....unlike the Traeger.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rec Tec 590, you'd love it. Wifi operation, PID controller for more accurate temps.
Depending your need;
Trailblazer is a little smaller. There flagship is the 700. It is actually only about 6" wider than the 590. $300 difference.
Excellent warranty and customer service

Rec Tec, Yoder, Mak are about the top 3.
Smoking meats forum is a great place to see reviews of all grills

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll second the green mountain Daniel Boone. I did find the limit was 22lbs of prime rib at Christmas. It turned out fabulous but that is officially all you can fit on the baby GMG!

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only have first hand experience with Pit Boss and Traeger and I would choose the Pit Boss without a doubt. I cannot speak to the others mentioned.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 year warranty - pitt boss here -- just vacuum it out once in a while - the only tip i have. Cheap enough to own more than one.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a Traeger and have had no problems and have not used any others as far as pellet grills so nothing to compare. Have really liked my Traeger and do use the blanket in the winter. Have heard from others that have tried other brands that they don't think there is really much difference. Personal choice in most cases.

Received mine as a gift and thought I would never spend that much on a grill. Now I'd buy one in a minute. Very versatile in cooking a variety of foods. I also have gas grill that gets used occasionally for some meats but probably won't replace when it wears out.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've got a traeger about 5 years old... starting to rust out now... i'm looking pretty hard at a yoder now...

works great for pork and chicken - mine won't get hot enough for good burgers or steaks so have a gas for that...

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pitboss. No complaints. It was a good price. And like last night, I could toss a chicken on it,set temp and go back to yard work. 1hr 20min had a perfectly done and tasty bird. I still use my old charcoal also, and I'm curious about the new Masterbuilt gravity feed unit I seen the other day. Similar somewhat to a pellet.

bobberdown

how in the Hell did you're Traeger rust out? Ive had a traeger for many years without any issues. YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET! BTW what company started the pellet grill phenom? I would be very interested into the Weber pellet but Kingsford charcoal on the old kettle ,is really probably one of the best ways to cook any meat, as long as you have the patience and knowhow

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just purchased a new Weber pellet grill. Used it once & it really worked well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74