Trolling motor upgrade

Terrova or ulterra

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Through some unexpected and unfortunate events my trolling motor was destroyed. Off to by a new one. Looking for opinions on which on. Do I get a terrova or ulterra. Let's here what you say

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ulterra's are nice until they don't work..

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a trolling motor, they all have problems the Ulterras just have more of them with the self deploy stuff going on.
Most of the time its operator made problems though, from doing things like running around with them not in the stow position.
But yea I have never been in a boat that had an Ulterra that didn't have issues, especially in the spring and fall with the colder temps.
They are slick thou, if you fish big water allot you are losing at least 8 inches of shaft also because of that mechanism, something to consider.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ultrex! The bells and whistles of a Terrova, the responsive and quick footpedal of the Maxxum.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m eyeing the Ultrex with i link. Curious what others pitch into this conversation.

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had an issue. I have no quick release plate,yet. What happens when shes down and doesn't want to come up? Most girls i don't have a problem with.
Really? what are your options?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ulterra that I like for the most part. That self deploy and store feature is AWESOME!

The fugging compass is still the same piece of shit they've been using for years. It always wants to creep to the right. Waves, wind, and low battery increase the creep.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ulterra that I like for the most part. That self deploy and store feature is AWESOME!

The fugging compass is still the same piece of shit they've been using for years. It always wants to creep to the right. Waves, wind, and low battery increase the creep.

Glad I'm not the only one who has this issue.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Ulterras on both my tiller and big water boat. I love them when they work as I fish more efficiently with them(I move more often). I also like the safety of self stow and deploy when fishing alone in bumpy water. Their shortcomings include that they hate below freezing temps and dusty roads. It pays to have brake cleaner and silicone spray to clean and lube the mech with you at all times. Also, they don’t stow the best if you run the thing down to no battery power. I still prefer mine over other models, but I also know what to expect.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had Terrovas and Ulterras. I went Ulterra on this new Yar. I have had problems with 2 in the past. 1 was user error and 1 was not. I like them. Get the 72 inch shaft and the loss of length due to the design is pretty much negated.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a new Terrova 112lb thrust to replace my Terrova 101. The old one would on rare occasion decide to just start to spin in a circle. About once a summer, and the remote was missing the battery cover, only replacement option was a rubber band, or an entire new remote.
I have run Terrova trolling motors for 15 years, no problems, outside of the recent turning issue after 11 years of use.

I did not want the self deploy option as i was certain that i would be the guy who, just as soon as any warranty runs out, that sombitch would stick in the down position while i was 10 miles from the ramp.

Smuscha

Motorguide Xi5 will walk a terrova. Seem like they have more power and they turn way way faster. IMO anchor is way better as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75