lead core

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull cranks a fair amount. The area I live there isn't a lot of need for deep water cranking as lakes aren't that terribly deep. However sometimes it is needed. I don't have experience with lead core. What reels and line do you guys recommend. Strictly walleye. thanks

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diawa Sealines or Accudepth size 47s and any 18lb Lead (I use the Suffix). The 47s will need zero backing and will be full with 10 colors of lead.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run okuma leadcore series rod with an upsized reel I like the okuma coldwater 303d's or something similar in size versus the 153 size. As far as brands of leadcore just make sure they are the same, but the suffix advanced 200 yard spool is what I am switching too, when I respool. but depending on what depth you are going to pull a 100 yd spool would probably be ok, the advanced is supposed to dive better and more consistently and become less water logged than the suffix performance leadcore(cheaper). I usually run about a 15-25 foot fireline leader attached to a 30lb ultra small barrel swivel that will reel easily through the guides and reel, some guys tie their leaders directly to the leadcore though.There are tons of leadcore options and there is definitely some personal preference and a learning curve to using it, im pretty sure there is even some threads on here about it already.

- - - Updated - - -

I run 18lb test as well

701Rounder

Set your rods up so they are the same so you can easily dial er in when ya get em figured out. Same amount of lead core, same length leader etc.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you aren’t in a snag infested area, snap weights might get you by.

Yeah I've experimented with that. So dumb question..Put out say 25ft, snap weight on, then what? Let's say you are fishing in 30ft. Drop weight all the way to bottom, reel up a little so not bouncing on bottom and fish? Or?? (without planers) Also any particular snap that works better with fireline? OR20??

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been using the offshore guppy weights with 10lb fireline with good success. Let out 50ft and snap on the weight. There is a dive chart for 2oz snap weights in precision trolling app to give some guidance based on lure style. It’s pretty easy to keep letting out line until you notice bottom contact and then reel up until you notice little to none. I have been using them on mud flats of LOW and clean Rainy River stretches so I haven’t lost one to a snag yet. They would get expensive in snags.

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you a #5 flicker shad with a 2 oz snap weight and 10lb fireline works great in about 31-33ft at about 165ft back running 2-2.2mph That’s seared into my brain.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Cabela’s trolling rods are a good not too expensive option also. Been running mine for many years with no problems. I run 18# also more for salmon but they also work for walleye. I tie right to the lead core with the knot recommend by the manufacturer never had one come loose.

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been using the offshore guppy weights with 10lb fireline with good success. Let out 50ft and snap on the weight. There is a dive chart for 2oz snap weights in precision trolling app to give some guidance based on lure style. It’s pretty easy to keep letting out line until you notice bottom contact and then reel up until you notice little to none. I have been using them on mud flats of LOW and clean Rainy River stretches so I haven’t lost one to a snag yet. They would get expensive in snags.

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you a #5 flicker shad with a 2 oz snap weight and 10lb fireline works great in about 31-33ft at about 165ft back running 2-2.2mph That’s seared into my brain.

how far back from the lure do you attach the snap weight?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using leadcore has never appealed to me because there are numerous other methods that don’t require a special setup. Some have been mentioned above.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have some 47 sealines with suffix 18# on short 5’ Jason Mitchell rods. The Outfitters in Minot had some short rods 50% off not sure if they have been sold yet

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using leadcore has never appealed to me because there are numerous other methods that don’t require a special setup. Some have been mentioned above.

I used to wonder why every single time we went to Sears, Menards, fleet farm, etc why day was always in the tool aisle.. Now I know why a guy can never have enough options at his disposal.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can never have too many options to catch fish, always fun to learn new ways to do anything.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62