Coal Creek

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The demo libtards think natural gas will remain cheap and available forever............. its insanity. I wonder why the wind energy has been putting full page ads in local newspapers bragging about how much they pay in taxes and contribute to the economy but they never mention in their ads how much tax SUBSIDY they got from we the people to build their wind farms and kill coal!
Liberals are against natural gas too, they are already pushing back on natural gas peaking plants. They want 100% renewables and want us to spend money on storage over nat gas. Funny thing is we are getting maxed out on renewables and need the peaking plants because storage is not cheap and affordable yet.

- - - Updated - - -

just like the sickening ethanol ads I here on The Flag... mind control

so sick of it

That ethanol plant next to coal creek may fold now too since they won’t be getting cheap steam from the power plant. The trickle down is going to devastating to the local communities. I don’t see more wind farms preventing that from happening.

- - - Updated - - -

KFYR Radio and the What's on Your Mind program sold their soul to wind energy
Scott Hennen should be ashamed. He is a sell out to wind, ethanol, coal, stockmans and oil all at the same time. He will promote any thing if they pay him. It will be entertaining how he juggles calls today on his program without pissing off sponsors....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That fucking piece of shit state known as Minnetucky has NEVER been a friend of North Dakota. Those cocksuckers can't even be good neighbors! Hell, I'm surprised the bastards didn't side with Hitler, Ho Chi Mihn, Saddam, and Osama when they learned there were North Dakotans heading off to war in a foreign land. Oh wait, they did send Omar to Congress...

Yeah, if'n you think I dislike that shithole even more than SDMF dislikes Sconi's, you'd be right.

The stupid part is I know and like a lot of people from that craphole, I'd love to see them get it on the right track.

some people will attack anything - even an industry that feeds families and provides jobs for people who escape from hell and should be grateful for employment/housing

https://www.cair.com/press_releases...rims-chicken-plant-in-cold-springs-minnesota/

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get ready for concrete prices to go way up. Having to import flyash from out of the area.
not sure why they use flyash. Every concrete contractor I know cusses the shit. I’ve done a pile of concrete work over the past 25 years and the concrete now days sucks to work with in comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do they even sell electricity to Minnefornia? Tell em to stick it

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Question, do the Coal power plants get Subsidies or have they ever got Subsidies?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure why they use flyash. Every concrete contractor I know cusses the shit. I’ve done a pile of concrete work over the past 25 years and the concrete now days sucks to work with in comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do they even sell electricity to Minnefornia? Tell em to stick it

the flyash helps make it more workable for finishing, it helps mitigate ASR (alkali silica reactivity) and in the heat of summer helps with it not flash setting. Overall makes it a better product with helping keeping costs cheaper. On most jobs with specs it runs form 10-20% percent depending on the time of year and the material that is being used in the redi mix. The days of sloping some shit in a truck and hoping it gets hard are far gone. About 10000 plus or minus a few thousand yards a year for the last 10 is what i have seen and been a part of.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Looks like GRE is pretty proud of itself for shutting the plant down. The CEO mistakenly sent an email to all GRE employees

MINOT, N.D. — Today hundreds of North Dakotans, employees of Great River Energy, went home from work to talk with their families about the uncertain future of their jobs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This at a time when, both in North Dakota and nationally, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused a spike in unemployment.
The cause of the bad news was the announced intention to close Coal Creek Station, North Dakota's largest coal-fired power plant, unless a buyer for it can be found.
But even as the corporate messaging from Great River stroke a sorrowful tone about the closure, behind the scenes the atmosphere was more jubilant.
At least according to an email sent to Great River CEO David Saggau by the executive of a member utility which was inadvertently forwarded to all Great River employees.

The email, authored by Minnesota-based Cooperative Light & Power CEO Hal Halpern, credits Saggau with a "tremendous job" in closing Coal Creek Station. "This will serve as a model for the rest of the country," he continues.
"Our environmental minded members and all our members are blown away by this development. None of them thought it could get done this quickly, responsibly and practically in such a cost saving manner."
"You just made my month Hal!!!" Saggau wrote in response. "Thank you for the great note."
greemail.png

Reached for comment, Saggau struck a much different tone about Halpern's email.

"Shortly after our announcement, I received a note of support from a member. My response was appreciation for their feedback, but as I said earlier today, these changes are incredibly difficult," he told me via email. "Coal Creek Station is operated efficiently, safely and with pride by a dedicated and talented staff. We are making every effort to minimize impacts on our employees and the communities through this transition."
Saggau may say, on the record, that this decision to kill hundreds of jobs in central North Dakota was "incredibly difficult," but privately he was celebrating over email with someone who was "blown away" at how "quickly" the decision close the plant was made.
Halpern's email actually highlights one of the most difficult political dynamics at play behind the scenes of Coal Creek's closure. Though the plant operated in North Dakota, it served Great River's Minnesota-based customers.
Minnesota is a place with very different politics than North Dakota. In fact, it can often seem as though Minnesotans will be happy to see North Dakota's landscape dotted with wind turbines, and crisscrossed with the spiderweb of transmission lines necessary to serve those turbines, all to satisfy that state's political preferences.
Some Minnesotans, it seems, would be happy to see North Dakota as little more than their state's desolate, economically stagnant battery.

Halpern did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
I did reach Mark Pierce, a coal industry worker who founded the grassroots group Faces of North Dakota Coal. I shared the email exchange with him, and while he declined to comment on it specifically, he did offer that the closure of Coal Creek Station marked a "somber day on main street in coal country during a very difficult time."
To comment on this article, visit www.sayanythingblog.com
Rob Port, founder of SayAnythingBlog.com, is a Forum Communications commentator. Reach him on Twitter at [MENTION=6247]Rob[/MENTION]port or via email at rport@forumcomm.com.
[/FONT]

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question, do the Coal power plants get Subsidies or have they ever got Subsidies?

Yes and yes.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/files/committees/65-2017/19_5116_03000appendixb.pdf

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/trump-energy-bailout-is-coal-in-taxpayers-stockings

Before I get accused again of being anti oil/coal/nat gas for the 4th or 5th time on this site, just know that my job is and has been directly tied to the fossil fuel industry.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
the flyash helps make it more workable for finishing, it helps mitigate ASR (alkali silica reactivity) and in the heat of summer helps with it not flash setting. Overall makes it a better product with helping keeping costs cheaper. On most jobs with specs it runs form 10-20% percent depending on the time of year and the material that is being used in the redi mix. The days of sloping some shit in a truck and hoping it gets hard are far gone. About 10000 plus or minus a few thousand yards a year for the last 10 is what i have seen and been a part of.

https://youtu.be/7DpMwDgxC-I

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and yes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/trump-energy-bailout-is-coal-in-taxpayers-stockings

Before I get accused again of being anti oil/coal/nat gas for the 4th or 5th time on this site, just know that my job is and has been directly tied to the fossil fuel industry.

its to the tune of about 10% of what wind receives, it is not a level field, and it is for the development of carbon capture technology, for the left, and the cost of these "clean technologys" costs the coal plants MILLIONS.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and yes.

Do you even read these articles or understand the energy sector? or is this just all search - copy - and paste?

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member

they get about 10% of what renewables do, and its mostly for research of carbon capture. So renewables get about 10x what fossil does for a source that has less than 1/5 the capacity factor of fossil. To replace 1000 mw of coal, you need a capacity of about 5000 mw wind, it is even more in a state like Minnesota that does not have the wind North Dakota does.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and yes.

The 1st one is to upgrades required to meet new regulations I wouldn't call that a subside. "
U.S. Senators John Hoeven and Heidi Heitkamp said Project Tundra, a technology project to retrofit existing power plants tocapture carbon dioxide, has been awarded $6 million from taxpayers by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

The 2nd is world wide without a lot of information

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any of you think the Green New Deal is a joke to be laughed at, think again. The enlightened ones living the lives of private jets and luxury homes (lots of them) won't have any problems with the changes they plan to impose on you serfs in stickville. And if you think leaders in North Dakota would have the power/influence to change the course of history with regards to what the 1% want done - you're only kidding yourself.

man never changes

Exhibit A:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimbla...times-it-was-the-worst-of-times/#1ecd57823234

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They want 100% renewables and want us to spend money on storage over nat gas. Funny thing is we are getting maxed out on renewables and need the peaking plants because storage is not cheap and affordable yet.

I’ve been saying for years the only way to change the tide on declining fossil fuel power is to push the issue of storage for renewables and what needs to be done in order to achieve the necessary storage. Nobody seems to want to listen. They just thought the orange face savior would magically save them and sharing articles on Facebook about how wind towers are buried in landfills, kill a few birds, and are ugly would do the trick. People know wind towers are ugly; they know they’re buried in a landfill; and they know they will pay more for wind energy - they simply don’t care. They are passionate about their cause and all those negatives outweigh the negatives they see with fossil fuel pollution (especially city people blind to what actually happens on the landscape). So we can keep having the same conversations that obviously no one cares about or we can have legit and relevant environmental conversations.

I work in a pretty liberal place and I get to have surprisingly civil conversations about this stuff. So I’ve seen what it takes to change the tone. It always comes down to renewable storage. It puts them right back to fossil fuels every time. Present the large-scale precious metals mining necessary to achieve energy storage for wind/solar, and coal with advanced carbon capture starts to sound pretty good. Metals mining is, by a long shot, the leading industry responsible for toxic releases in the US. 100% have experienced at least one major spill and 80% have failed to capture severely contaminated water. This is a big deal considering the harsh coastal climates precious metals are found are often times the most environmentally sensitive. There’s a reason that in a dark red state reliant on fossil fuels like Alaska, +90% of us strongly oppose things like Pebble Mine.

Last edited:

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found this statement interesting.

[h=3]GRE wind farms[/h]
GRE said Thursday that it is planning to add 1,100 megawatts of wind power to its portfolio by the end of 2023, but it did not announce any new wind farms in North Dakota. It’s planning four projects in Minnesota and one in South Dakota, and that work would involve using local labor, the company said.

The added wind power would effectively replace the 1,100-megawatt capacity of Coal Creek.

“After the portfolio changes announced today, Great River Energy’s power supply will be more than 95% carbon dioxide-free,” Saggau said.

He added that the company considered building wind farms in North Dakota near Coal Creek. The facilities would have made use of the existing transmission line that runs from the coal plant to Minnesota, but McLean County in March made zoning changes that prevent power lines connected to wind farms from coming within a mile of Lake Sakakawea, Lake Audubon and the Missouri River. The new rules threw a wrench in GRE’s plans.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found this statement interesting.

GRE wind farms

GRE said Thursday that it is planning to add 1,100 megawatts of wind power to its portfolio by the end of 2023, but it did not announce any new wind farms in North Dakota. It’s planning four projects in Minnesota and one in South Dakota, and that work would involve using local labor, the company said.

The added wind power would effectively replace the 1,100-megawatt capacity of Coal Creek.

“After the portfolio changes announced today, Great River Energy’s power supply will be more than 95% carbon dioxide-free,” Saggau said.

He added that the company considered building wind farms in North Dakota near Coal Creek. The facilities would have made use of the existing transmission line that runs from the coal plant to Minnesota, but McLean County in March made zoning changes that prevent power lines connected to wind farms from coming within a mile of Lake Sakakawea, Lake Audubon and the Missouri River. The new rules threw a wrench in GRE’s plans.

it takes no CO2 to make wind generators now?

ain't technology amazing?

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
its to the tune of about 10% of what wind receives, it is not a level field, and it is for the development of carbon capture technology, for the left, and the cost of these "clean technologys" costs the coal plants MILLIONS.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you even read these articles or understand the energy sector? or is this just all search - copy - and paste?

You apparently didn’t read the post I was responding to, which was this: “Question, do the Coal power plants get Subsidies or have they ever got Subsidies?“

Where did I say anything about wind subsidies? Where did he even ask about wind subsidies? I guess somehow in your world when I responded by saying YES coal plants receive subsidies and YES they have in the past as well, somehow means I’m talking about wind subsidies and comparing that to coal? Yet, oddly enough you state above that coal gets subsidized 10% of what wind gets. So your answer to AR-15’s question was essentially yes coal gets subsidized.

Yes, I know one of the links talked about SUBSIDIZING expensive “clean technologies” and yes, I know it was because of shit obama mandated but that’s not the question AR-15 asked. I’m assuming he can read and understand the articles I posted, which all stated, (as you did above) that YES coal gets and has gotten subsidies just like ALL renewable and non renewable energy has.

I’m guessing you’re the one who gave me the unsigned negative rep. Unfortunately, I’m not the sensitive type so negative reps on the internet do nothing for me, although I did get a little chuckle out of it considering I royally pissed someone off by using the word yes twice, along with 3 articles for reference about coal subsidies.

- - - Updated - - -

The 1st one is to upgrades required to meet new regulations I wouldn't call that a subside. "
U.S. Senators John Hoeven and Heidi Heitkamp said Project Tundra, a technology project to retrofit existing power plants tocapture carbon dioxide, has been awarded $6 million from taxpayers by the U.S. Department of Energy (DO
The 2nd is world wide without a lot of information

I understand what you’re saying Obi. I just went by the literal definition of subsidy to answer AR-15’s question and posted a few articles for reference. I had to weed through a shit ton of “green/renewable” sourced articles to find a couple that weren’t written with such a left leaning agenda. Here I thought I was simply answering a simple question that AR-15 asked. Turns out I triggered v193 in the process.

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been sitting here reading two pages of posts bashing liberals which I appreciate, and Minnesota, which I don't. I can't understand some of the basic hatred expressed by some of you toward a state which I doubt you have ever spent much time in. I was raised in Winona, in the south eastern corner, taught geology at the University of Minnesota for 35 years, and have retired to Lake Minnewaska in Western side of the state. I also lived in Grand Forks for 31/2 years and have my MS and PhD from UND. My masters degree field work was in Slope County and my PhD was on Devils Lake and the DL basin. I loved my time in North Dakota, and if a position would have been available in any of your state colleges or universities I would have stayed there. Minnesota is so much more than a home for "libtards". How many of you have cabins in the lake country? How many might have gone to school there, have pace makers or other medical devices manufactured there, use steel or ag chemicals produced there, or have sent children to world class universities. I get really tired of hearing all the Minnesota bashing coming from a select few on this site. I was one of the first members of this site, because of my deep ties to the state. After reading the diatribe of a select few, I question that decision.

Finnadict

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll clarify.

Fuck Minntucky with a flaming razor wrapped bat of splinters.

The Minnesota you describe is a nice idea, but the state as a whole is responsible for the trash that is elected and the policies that have such far reaching destruction to its own state and others. Being fooled and accepting it and allowing other voters to be fooled into the bullshittery is on you and all the citizens of fuckasota.
If you're part of it, you're culpable.

Enjoy the lake though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75