Coal Creek

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We all knew ND would run out of coal eventually, thank god we have other resources available to us!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been sitting here reading two pages of posts bashing liberals which I appreciate, and Minnesota, which I don't. I can't understand some of the basic hatred expressed by some of you toward a state which I doubt you have ever spent much time in. I was raised in Winona, in the south eastern corner, taught geology at the University of Minnesota for 35 years, and have retired to Lake Minnewaska in Western side of the state. I also lived in Grand Forks for 31/2 years and have my MS and PhD from UND. My masters degree field work was in Slope County and my PhD was on Devils Lake and the DL basin. I loved my time in North Dakota, and if a position would have been available in any of your state colleges or universities I would have stayed there. Minnesota is so much more than a home for "libtards". How many of you have cabins in the lake country? How many might have gone to school there, have pace makers or other medical devices manufactured there, use steel or ag chemicals produced there, or have sent children to world class universities. I get really tired of hearing all the Minnesota bashing coming from a select few on this site. I was one of the first members of this site, because of my deep ties to the state. After reading the diatribe of a select few, I question that decision.

Finnadict
i lived in MN for at least a dozen years. I left there in 1993. The difference between MN then and now is beyond recognizable. It has turned into a liberal cesspool. My siblings all live there still and I frequent the twin cities. I can only handle a week or so and I’m ready to puke. It is such a fucked up place now that it’s insane. It’s so sad to see the conservatives that are there and deeply rooted to the point they really can feasibly leave. They are beside themselves with the erosion of the state. It’s a damn disaster

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We all knew ND would run out of coal eventually, thank god we have other resources available to us!

Didn't know we were out of coal

Coal Reserves[FONT=&quot] – Lignite coal reserves are 651 million tons, enough for 100 years of operation.

[/FONT]

https://swce.coop/educational-opportunity/facts-about-falkirk-mine/

- - - Updated - - -

I've been sitting here reading two pages of posts bashing liberals which I appreciate, and Minnesota, which I don't. I can't understand some of the basic hatred expressed by some of you toward a state which I doubt you have ever spent much time in. I was raised in Winona, in the south eastern corner, taught geology at the University of Minnesota for 35 years, and have retired to Lake Minnewaska in Western side of the state. I also lived in Grand Forks for 31/2 years and have my MS and PhD from UND. My masters degree field work was in Slope County and my PhD was on Devils Lake and the DL basin. I loved my time in North Dakota, and if a position would have been available in any of your state colleges or universities I would have stayed there. Minnesota is so much more than a home for "libtards". How many of you have cabins in the lake country? How many might have gone to school there, have pace makers or other medical devices manufactured there, use steel or ag chemicals produced there, or have sent children to world class universities. I get really tired of hearing all the Minnesota bashing coming from a select few on this site. I was one of the first members of this site, because of my deep ties to the state. After reading the diatribe of a select few, I question that decision.

Finnadict

Don't let the door hit you in the ass when you log out of NDA for the last time

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't let the door hit you in the ass when you log out of NDA for the last time

as you can see, the liberals have successfully divided us

It's tragic that you'd say that - to a guy that's conservative and likeminded like the majority of us. Big mistake. Dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

never mind some of these guys finaddict - us Little Minneapolis guys often get tarred/feathered purely as a result of our zip code as well

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll clarify.

Fuck Minntucky with a flaming razor wrapped bat of splinters.

The Minnesota you describe is a nice idea, but the state as a whole is responsible for the trash that is elected and the policies that have such far reaching destruction to its own state and others. Being fooled and accepting it and allowing other voters to be fooled into the bullshittery is on you and all the citizens of fuckasota.
If you're part of it, you're culpable.

Enjoy the lake though.
Two words..... Keith Ellison...... what the F is MN thinking.......we must only believe women accusing Republicans I guess....

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
i lived in MN for at least a dozen years. I left there in 1993. The difference between MN then and now is beyond recognizable. It has turned into a liberal cesspool. My siblings all live there still and I frequent the twin cities. I can only handle a week or so and I’m ready to puke. It is such a fucked up place now that it’s insane. It’s so sad to see the conservatives that are there and deeply rooted to the point they really can feasibly leave. They are beside themselves with the erosion of the state. It’s a damn disaster
We bought a lake place 16 years ago in north/central Minnesota. Best thing we ever did as a family. Met other great families, great golfing, great fishing, and fantastic scenery. Haters gotta hate.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Finnadict

The only people I knew that went to college in MN were libtards....... just saying.......also screw Minnesota

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I found this statement interesting.

[h=3]GRE wind farms[/h]
GRE said Thursday that it is planning to add 1,100 megawatts of wind power to its portfolio by the end of 2023, but it did not announce any new wind farms in North Dakota. It’s planning four projects in Minnesota and one in South Dakota, and that work would involve using local labor, the company said.

The added wind power would effectively replace the 1,100-megawatt capacity of Coal Creek.

“After the portfolio changes announced today, Great River Energy’s power supply will be more than 95% carbon dioxide-free,” Saggau said.

He added that the company considered building wind farms in North Dakota near Coal Creek. The facilities would have made use of the existing transmission line that runs from the coal plant to Minnesota, but McLean County in March made zoning changes that prevent power lines connected to wind farms from coming within a mile of Lake Sakakawea, Lake Audubon and the Missouri River. The new rules threw a wrench in GRE’s plans.
Thank god they are going to put them elsewhere. They can look at them ugly things. McClean did what they needed to do and fight wind replacing coal. They would have got piddly squat from wind farms compared to what the coal plant is providing.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's tragic that you'd say that - to a guy that's conservative and likeminded like the majority of us. Big mistake. Dumb.

" I was one of the first members of this site, because of my deep ties to the state. After reading the diatribe of a select few, I question that decision.

His words not mine

Not sure I would call a hand full of years deep ties to the state

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They want 100% renewables and want us to spend money on storage over nat gas. Funny thing is we are getting maxed out on renewables and need the peaking plants because storage is not cheap and affordable yet.

I’ve been saying for years the only way to change the tide on declining fossil fuel power is to push the issue of storage for renewables and what needs to be done in order to achieve the necessary storage. Nobody seems to want to listen. They just thought the orange face savior would magically save them and sharing articles on Facebook about how wind towers are buried in landfills, kill a few birds, and are ugly would do the trick. People know wind towers are ugly; they know they’re buried in a landfill; and they know they will pay more for wind energy - they simply don’t care. They are passionate about their cause and all those negatives outweigh the negatives they see with fossil fuel pollution (especially city people blind to what actually happens on the landscape). So we can keep having the same conversations that obviously no one cares about or we can have legit and relevant environmental conversations.

I work in a pretty liberal place and I get to have surprisingly civil conversations about this stuff. So I’ve seen what it takes to change the tone. It always comes down to renewable storage. It puts them right back to fossil fuels every time. Present the large-scale precious metals mining necessary to achieve energy storage for wind/solar, and coal with advanced carbon capture starts to sound pretty good. Metals mining is, by a long shot, the leading industry responsible for toxic releases in the US. 100% have experienced at least one major spill and 80% have failed to capture severely contaminated water. This is a big deal considering the harsh coastal climates precious metals are found are often times the most environmentally sensitive. There’s a reason that in a dark red state reliant on fossil fuels like Alaska, +90% of us strongly oppose things like Pebble Mine.

This is all a great point. In order for renewables to replace fossil fuels it’s going to take a ton of copper and other precious metals. Last time I looked the same people in MN pushing renewables is the same people that are opposing the copper mining in northern MN and WI. I guess they are all in favor as long as it’s not in their back yard.....typical liberals

- - - Updated - - -

maybe they came back as libtards??? I don’t remember.... better yet I could care less. Many of them had to come back to ND to find high paying oil jobs because there isn’t the same high paying opportunities in MN......

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

" I was one of the first members of this site, because of my deep ties to the state. After reading the diatribe of a select few, I question that decision.

His words not mine

Not sure I would call a hand full of years deep ties to the state

I think you missed guywhoisdisappointedinsomeofyouguys’ point.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only people I knew that went to college in MN were libtards....... just saying.......also screw Minnesota

Geez, you need to meet more people. I know lots of conservative leaning people who grew up in the state and also ND natives who went to school there.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been after her for almost 3 years to get my St. Paul living sister and her husband to retire back to her home state of ND. Finally the light came on. They do not fit in very well with the libtards and the COL is not even close. We will welcome them back with open arms.

Obi is dead on with the coal reserves. Leave it in the ground and other resources as well. When ND succeeds from the "union" we'll be prefectly fine without the rest of you sonsabitches.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
No worries we now have off shore drilling rig. Great place to land big waldos FB_IMG_1588977230399.jpg

bobberdown

you banged the head of the nail on that post guy #55. Chicken Little said the sky was falling, so lets believe that. How about some forward thinking on the :closure: No. Dak. owns a state bank, a state mill, and both of these operations seem to be run well, and profitable. How about buying Coal Creek, and supplying north dakotans with cheap electricity, maintaining good jobs and look to the future? Im pretty sure the oil RAINY DAY FUND is loaded with enough money to buy the plant and run it at a profit, or at least provide NoDaks with a reliable source of power. Cut the grid at the Minnesota border?? When the lights go out at US Bank Stadium ,or Target Field, then the GRE honchos will pucker their bungholes

- - - Updated - - -

on another note, say we, NO Daks, build our own refinery and let the good people of NoDak, reap the profits, Why are we shipping oil to refineries to Texas, Louisiana, and beyond, just to have it brought back to us at an overpriced sale? Build a refinery at Watford, Give every tax paying citizen a card that says they pay income tax in NoDak, build some NoDak gas stations, and say go fuck yourself Chevron, Exxon,Mobile. Yeah It will take many years to do it but what the hell are we waiting for??? Now is the time!!! Burgum, Hoeven, Cramer, Armstrong get yer shit together, and think about it!!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We produce oil here and refine both gas and diesel in the state yet we pay some of the highest prices for refined fuels in the upper Midwest. We should pay the least. Right now we are being screwed hard. Why? Because they can. I’m all for a state owned refinery and fuel stations. They can all be card troll so the state won’t really have to have employees at these filling stations.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
You apparently didn’t read the post I was responding to, which was this: “Question, do the Coal power plants get Subsidies or have they ever got Subsidies?“

Where did I say anything about wind subsidies? Where did he even ask about wind subsidies? I guess somehow in your world when I responded by saying YES coal plants receive subsidies and YES they have in the past as well, somehow means I’m talking about wind subsidies and comparing that to coal? Yet, oddly enough you state above that coal gets subsidized 10% of what wind gets. So your answer to AR-15’s question was essentially yes coal gets subsidized.

Yes, I know one of the links talked about SUBSIDIZING expensive “clean technologies” and yes, I know it was because of shit obama mandated but that’s not the question AR-15 asked. I’m assuming he can read and understand the articles I posted, which all stated, (as you did above) that YES coal gets and has gotten subsidies just like ALL renewable and non renewable energy has.

I’m guessing you’re the one who gave me the unsigned negative rep. Unfortunately, I’m not the sensitive type so negative reps on the internet do nothing for me, although I did get a little chuckle out of it considering I royally pissed someone off by using the word yes twice, along with 3 articles for reference about coal subsidies.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you’re saying Obi. I just went by the literal definition of subsidy to answer AR-15’s question and posted a few articles for reference. I had to weed through a shit ton of “green/renewable” sourced articles to find a couple that weren’t written with such a left leaning agenda. Here I thought I was simply answering a simple question that AR-15 asked. Turns out I triggered v193 in the process.
Nope wasnt me, I have no clue how to give a negative rep....

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swear some people on here act like they are in high school still. Do I care for MN? No not really but I can also admit that they are very good for somethings. For instance, Mayo clinic. I'm sorry but ND isn't better than MN in every single way like some of you seem to think.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69