Shop/man cave project

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t call it a shop, but my man cave sits at 67-68 all winter. My nat gas bill is minimal, so why not walk into a nice temp building to work on your stuff? I go in an out often so it would cycle a lot with big temp swings.

Of course it's 67-68, rubbing your knitting-needles together doesn't generate a lot of heat.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going floating slab, not sure everyone knows what helix is but it is metal fill additive, about like a box of nails you add to concrete. I am up the hill from Fargo so clay and grave base. I am going 12” gravel under slab. I am going two 10x12 doors on end wall with 12ft ceiling. One lane for boats and other for ice gear. I would go deeper but space didn’t allow.

i know exactly what it is . If you are leaving the floor bare you will see it in the finish. If epoxy coating the floor you won’t. Redi mix and addictives are what I do for a living

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Floor heat: Are you running tubing for a boiler, or going electrical? Also, if you have a bar, will you be running water there? Might not be a bad idea to do something like a combi-boiler to run both your floor heat and have hot water at the tap. Also, consider hanging a unit heater to supplement. The floor heat should be enough on most days, but if it's really cold having that heater to take the edge off will help. Plus you can keep it at 50-55 all fall/winter, and crank it when you're planning to use the space. A shop heater heats much more quickly than a floor heating system.

I have hot water floor heat in a 30x40 and the boiler had the option for a hot water heater that I hooked up to a heat exchanger on the ceiling. separate thermostat and works great to heat from 45 to 65.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pour and finish flatwork for a living... about a year ago a sales rep stopped by our shop and tried to sell us on these helix fibers... we all but laughed him off the property. Even the laborers who handle and tie rebar every day didn’t like the thought of it. (And it woulda made their lives much easier if we would use it). No I have never used it so I don’t have in depth experience with it but I definitely wouldn’t use it in a floating slab with a thickened edge on clay... if I ever had to use them, like a job called for them in a spec, I would make sure to use some sort of vibratory screed in hopes of vibrating them down into the middle/bottom of the slab to make finishing easier.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pour and finish flatwork for a living... about a year ago a sales rep stopped by our shop and tried to sell us on these helix fibers... we all but laughed him off the property. Even the laborers who handle and tie rebar every day didn’t like the thought of it. (And it woulda made their lives much easier if we would use it). No I have never used it so I don’t have in depth experience with it but I definitely wouldn’t use it in a floating slab with a thickened edge on clay... if I ever had to use them, like a job called for them in a spec, I would make sure to use some sort of vibratory screed in hopes of vibrating them down into the middle/bottom of the slab to make finishing easier.

when they are left on top you will wreck a set of blades on the power trowel I know that for a fact

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every man cave needs a bar. If you need some sweet slabs for a bar top, let me know. My brother bought a band saw mill, and we have milled some pretty sweet looking stuff that would make an awesome bar top or table.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Every man cave needs a bar. If you need some sweet slabs for a bar top, let me know. My brother bought a band saw mill, and we have milled some pretty sweet looking stuff that would make an awesome bar top or table.

where is he mill located? thankyou

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you get it built then call Garage Logic and speak with Dee or Darin. They can do your concrete floor, install cabinets, and overhead metal storage. They put cabinets and overhead metal storage in our last 2 garages and we wouldn't have anything else or anyone else do it.
Great people and they have good products and their employees do excellent work!

He might even sell you his boat! ;:;rofl Inside joke.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have TMG industrial garage cabinets? Looking at their 8 piece set. Anyone have any sweet pictures of a bar setup? Taking couple days off of work to hit it hard over the long weekend, and hope to post progress pictures.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
1C68FB30-D6E4-4FEE-AD32-78F6763ED147.jpg

Attachments

9C3D776B-D20C-4118-9115-FD68DEFB54DD.jpg
Last edited:

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
8ft channel drain, I also ran 3 drains down right side. One for propane boiler, future dog kennel, and sink.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t quite tell in your pics but did you use those triangle shaped foam forms for your perimeter? I saw them for the first time about a year ago but we haven’t tried them yet. They basically act as your vertical and horizontal exterior insulation against frost... can’t remember what they’re called... if you did use them how were they to work with? Did they stay straight while pouring?

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t quite tell in your pics but did you use those triangle shaped foam forms for your perimeter? I saw them for the first time about a year ago but we haven’t tried them yet. They basically act as your vertical and horizontal exterior insulation against frost... can’t remember what they’re called... if you did use them how were they to work with? Did they stay straight while pouring?

Yes, they are mono ez blocks. They worked pretty good, the issue I had was a couple moving when I back filled. It seems they rocked back about .25 inch in a couple spots. I should've done a better job getting the gravel level under them and check to make sure the face was level before I pounded in the stakes. They didn't move at all when I did the concrete pour - even with 16 inch footing. They are really solid once you get dirt on them. If you want to do concrete all yourself they are the way to go. Looking back, I would've payed someone to do all the prep and concrete. I did prep and had someone come in to do the floor heat and pour. With the cost of the forms, I didn't save much doing it the way I did.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
56858ABE-F547-41DF-840C-B7518C5E2785.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I hope to have it all the exterior done next week. I went with SIPs panel wall and really liked how it went together.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How wide are the overhead doors?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103