2020 governors cup

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you already sign a waiver if you die falling in they are not liable just add a wu flu paragraph. At this point everyone knows what they are getting into. If you don’t like it stay home but it’s time to quit cowering from this damn thing and move on. Let people choose

Disclaimers do not work u can sue anyways. But a law passed saying no covid litigation would they have cancelled everything got damn thing. Open this fkn county up wide Commies !!!!!!!

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of you really have no freaking clue what goes into planning a tournament and it shows. Further more, the ones of you calling a tournament board pansies and pussies really have no business being in a fishing tournament as you do not exemplify what anglers are.

I am not associated with the cup committee at all, but these are things that I am sure they looked at.

Money/Sponsors/Prizes: Donation requests are probably next to none, if any at all. Can you imagine being on a comittee for any event and having to ask for money during this time. I have done it for other clubs and things ive been involved in over the years and its hard to do under normal years, much less years where revenue is this far down, employees arent working, and businesses are closed in other states.

Time: If you think a tournament is planned in the few weeks leading up to an event, you are too stupid to be a tournament fisherman, please return your money and leave your spot for someone that deserves it. Committees for the Cup/DWC etc meet monthly for an entire year. Packets of information with donation requests etc are divied out for VOLUNTEERS to spend what is obviously now THANKLESS hours of time contacting people to put together an event for you to roll in on Wednesday and go on a 5 day bender and throw up your best 10 fish on their scale.

G&F Rules: Based on the rule sheet for events allowed by the game and fish. I dont think the commitee would have been able to have the fire department cleaning fish. Some of you say big deal. Lets look at the downsides to this. Day 1, every fish weighed or not, has to come through the scale area. Every fish has to be clipped to make sure it is not used again the next day and then returned to you. THEN fish cleaning stations arent open so now those fish somehow miraculously find their way into every dumpster in town or road ditch in the area. Can you imagine the backlash on the governors cup when that all takes place. OR better yet, invariably someone would get caught with wanton waste by a official and somehow, someway, that is the governors cup fault as well. Even more of black eye for them.

Covid19: Yes, YOU can wear a mask, YOU can find a way to social distance, YOU can go home thinking you did everything imaginable to protect yourself. BUT you came from a hotspot out of state or even in-state and touched everything in the garrison area for 5 days. YOU handed your fish basket over to a VOLUNTEER person at the scale, 4 people touch that basket in the next 2 minutes. Take that basket times 560 over the 2 days of weigh ins. Think about the infection odds of the people that are donating their time to try to do this event for you. Would you take on that risk for someone to just call you a pussy? Now YOU unknowingly have just broken down the entire system for the Garrison area. Elderly residents become infected because they needed their groceries. One of the care workers in the area just got off a 12 hour shift at the hospital and wanted a frozen pizza because he/she was too damn tired to cook supper for their family that night. She picks the virus up and takes it to work the next day. Now that virus is rampaging through our hospital system sickening and possibly killing our loved ones.

FFS people, pull your head out of your asses and be freaking human for once. This sucks for all of us. I have gone from 7 tournaments this season to maybe 3, if they are even allowed. But I am human enough to see the bigger picture and NOT shallow enough to sit behind a phone or computer monitor and call volunteers pussies.

Thank you ND Governors Cup committee for seeing the bigger picture and not taking this decision lightly! The comments reflected in the posts above are not the feelings of all of the teams of the tournament.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of you really have no freaking clue what goes into planning a tournament and it shows. Further more, the ones of you calling a tournament board pansies and pussies really have no business being in a fishing tournament as you do not exemplify what anglers are.

I am not associated with the cup committee at all, but these are things that I am sure they looked at.

Money/Sponsors/Prizes: Donation requests are probably next to none, if any at all. Can you imagine being on a comittee for any event and having to ask for money during this time. I have done it for other clubs and things ive been involved in over the years and its hard to do under normal years, much less years where revenue is this far down, employees arent working, and businesses are closed in other states.

Time: If you think a tournament is planned in the few weeks leading up to an event, you are too stupid to be a tournament fisherman, please return your money and leave your spot for someone that deserves it. Committees for the Cup/DWC etc meet monthly for an entire year. Packets of information with donation requests etc are divied out for VOLUNTEERS to spend what is obviously now THANKLESS hours of time contacting people to put together an event for you to roll in on Wednesday and go on a 5 day bender and throw up your best 10 fish on their scale.

G&F Rules: Based on the rule sheet for events allowed by the game and fish. I dont think the commitee would have been able to have the fire department cleaning fish. Some of you say big deal. Lets look at the downsides to this. Day 1, every fish weighed or not, has to come through the scale area. Every fish has to be clipped to make sure it is not used again the next day and then returned to you. THEN fish cleaning stations arent open so now those fish somehow miraculously find their way into every dumpster in town or road ditch in the area. Can you imagine the backlash on the governors cup when that all takes place. OR better yet, invariably someone would get caught with wanton waste by a official and somehow, someway, that is the governors cup fault as well. Even more of black eye for them.

Covid19: Yes, YOU can wear a mask, YOU can find a way to social distance, YOU can go home thinking you did everything imaginable to protect yourself. BUT you came from a hotspot out of state or even in-state and touched everything in the garrison area for 5 days. YOU handed your fish basket over to a VOLUNTEER person at the scale, 4 people touch that basket in the next 2 minutes. Take that basket times 560 over the 2 days of weigh ins. Think about the infection odds of the people that are donating their time to try to do this event for you. Would you take on that risk for someone to just call you a pussy? Now YOU unknowingly have just broken down the entire system for the Garrison area. Elderly residents become infected because they needed their groceries. One of the care workers in the area just got off a 12 hour shift at the hospital and wanted a frozen pizza because he/she was too damn tired to cook supper for their family that night. She picks the virus up and takes it to work the next day. Now that virus is rampaging through our hospital system sickening and possibly killing our loved ones.

FFS people, pull your head out of your asses and be freaking human for once. This sucks for all of us. I have gone from 7 tournaments this season to maybe 3, if they are even allowed. But I am human enough to see the bigger picture and NOT shallow enough to sit behind a phone or computer monitor and call volunteers pussies.

Thank you ND Governors Cup committee for seeing the bigger picture and not taking this decision lightly! The comments reflected in the posts above are not the feelings of all of the teams of the tournament.

What if you die in a car wreck on the way there. Lightning might strike you while fishing. Wear rubber gloves and the fish basket is cured. dont know if you have noticed but people are already coming from out of state fishing like crazy. Noticed more blue plates here than in alot of years. How about let people choose for them selves if they want to fish or not and quit trying to govern the world into saftey....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jarett - bottom line is if our gov allows for a gathering such as a fishing tournament then it should be allowed. The bottom line and we all know this is the legal liability. I wouldnt want to be part of a governing board of directors of any tournament until our country passes a law to waive such liability. This effect of legal liability is hitting a lot more bigger and more important things than a fishing tourney. Everybody's business and jobs are effected by the no release of liability. The government phases do not help if they are not followed through properly with all facets.

As far as transferring the virus -- we cant stay home 24 7 cancel everything and run from the virus. My 85 year old dad who is in a nursing facility will tell you that right to your face. My comment to the pizza thing is what do you do for a living? We cant all hibernate - it just doesnt work that way in the USA. We have 3 new weapons against this thing and one of them is in place, one next month and a final in January. Everyday the death rates vs the virus numbers are lower and lower for that matter the virus numbers are lower. What more do you want.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I think it’s dumb they cancelled it as these COVID -19 risks have not be proven to spread as bad outside. People involved can wear masts and gloves and since this is all outside I bet there wouldn’t be COVID spreading. Yes the tournament would have had less prizes and sponsors but at least the competition could go on with less payouts. Do I really care though because I have never fished a tourney? No, but I don’t think that makes me too dumb to be a tournament fisherman....... your sponsors must be impress with this post........

Honored Member
Has anyone been approached by the tournament directors or committees for suggestions on how to run the tournaments or been asked if they know of volunteers who want to help and are not affraid of the risks? Seems like all these tournaments are being cancelled but no assets outside of what the committees normally use are being looked at.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jarett - bottom line is if our gov allows for a gathering such as a fishing tournament then it should be allowed. The bottom line and we all know this is the legal liability. I wouldnt want to be part of a governing board of directors of any tournament until our country passes a law to waive such liability. This effect of legal liability is hitting a lot more bigger and more important things than a fishing tourney. Everybody's business and jobs are effected by the no release of liability. The government phases do not help if they are not followed through properly with all facets.

I agree, but with the restrictions the government (GNF) has put in place, they are making it impossible to hold these events while putting the pressure on the Tournament Committee to be the bad guy. This so in brings my issue. Quit attacking the volunteers. They are being forced into handling things this way based on the exact liability issues you are describing. It is not their fault!
I am an essential employee. I have been inside peoples homes and working through this situation from the get go. I am not the hibernating, mask wearing, bathe in hand sanitizer person you might think I am. However, I also refuse to enter care facilities because I do not want to be the person known for the demise of a portion of elderly care patients. Your father might be comfortable with the result either way. But there are families out there that are looking at this an entirely different way. Especially living in a community of 1700ppl where I, and others, know 1/2 the people inside that care facility. We had it proven a few weeks ago when a Garrison resident tested positive, that person was belittled beyond belief for the issue. Now bring in a Gov Cup Committee who holds the tournament and brings COVID19 to Garrison. These people and their families will deal with the repercussions long after the tournament has left the town.

I think it’s dumb they cancelled it as these COVID -19 risks have not be proven to spread as bad outside. People involved can wear masts and gloves and since this is all outside I bet there wouldn’t be COVID spreading. Yes the tournament would have had less prizes and sponsors but at least the competition could go on with less payouts. Do I really care though because I have never fished a tourney? No, but I don’t think that makes me too dumb to be a tournament fisherman....... your sponsors must be impress with this post........
You and I would have fished the tournament with less prizes and payouts, but put yourself in the committee shoes, can you imagine how many people would have backlashed when they found out there wasn't the prizes/money available? You cant please everyone, but people can take a breath and be more civil towards a group that is 100% volunteer.

Has anyone been approached by the tournament directors or committees for suggestions on how to run the tournaments or been asked if they know of volunteers who want to help and are not affraid of the risks? Seems like all these tournaments are being cancelled but no assets outside of what the committees normally use are being looked at.

My question is where are all these volunteers when they are needed. Every tournament in the state short of AIM need volunteers, many are scrambling each year trying to get enough to keep it going. No one wants to step forward in an entirely healthy situation. Who will step forward when there are more risks involved. Every angler wants to help, but you cant help when you are fishing the event. Remove those 560 people and there are no others willing to volunteer.

Note, small window, clicking post to see how it shows up, there may be some edits.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, you can go out and pick up a bar whore but you can't fish an organized event? Wow

Honored Member
I agree, but with the restrictions the government (GNF) has put in place, they are making it impossible to hold these events while putting the pressure on the Tournament Committee to be the bad guy. This so in brings my issue. Quit attacking the volunteers. They are being forced into handling things this way based on the exact liability issues you are describing. It is not their fault!
I am an essential employee. I have been inside peoples homes and working through this situation from the get go. I am not the hibernating, mask wearing, bathe in hand sanitizer person you might think I am. However, I also refuse to enter care facilities because I do not want to be the person known for the demise of a portion of elderly care patients. Your father might be comfortable with the result either way. But there are families out there that are looking at this an entirely different way. Especially living in a community of 1700ppl where I, and others, know 1/2 the people inside that care facility. We had it proven a few weeks ago when a Garrison resident tested positive, that person was belittled beyond belief for the issue. Now bring in a Gov Cup Committee who holds the tournament and brings COVID19 to Garrison. These people and their families will deal with the repercussions long after the tournament has left the town.

You and I would have fished the tournament with less prizes and payouts, but put yourself in the committee shoes, can you imagine how many people would have backlashed when they found out there wasn't the prizes/money available? You cant please everyone, but people can take a breath and be more civil towards a group that is 100% volunteer.

My question is where are all these volunteers when they are needed. Every tournament in the state short of AIM need volunteers, many are scrambling each year trying to get enough to keep it going. No one wants to step forward in an entirely healthy situation. Who will step forward when there are more risks involved. Every angler wants to help, but you cant help when you are fishing the event. Remove those 560 people and there are no others willing to volunteer.

Note, small window, clicking post to see how it shows up, there may be some edits.

I have fished dozens of tourneys and not once have I seen the directors actively asking the participants if they have someone that would like to donate their time to the tourney. Their are lots of older Dads that don’t like to fish the tourneys but like to be at the event that would like to donate their time. My wife has had to actively seek out directors so that she could volunteer her time. These are just a couple of examples. Yes, door prizes are a nice bonus but I’m sure most anglers just like the competition.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if you die in a car wreck on the way there. Lightning might strike you while fishing. Wear rubber gloves and the fish basket is cured. dont know if you have noticed but people are already coming from out of state fishing like crazy. Noticed more blue plates here than in alot of years. How about let people choose for them selves if they want to fish or not and quit trying to govern the world into saftey....

I don't think he's telling you not to fish. Is English your second language?

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree holding the tourney would require some changes but I dont feel like it is impossible. Just may not be done "the way we have always done it". I would like to see the full list of requirements the gf put on these events before I criticize too much. Like it or not the committee has made their decision and your never gonna please everyone.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've wondered if all the cancellations come down to liability concerns. With this sue happy world and lack of individual responsibility, nobody (or insurance company) wants to risk being held liable for someone getting sick and/or dying.

When we shirk personal responsibility, we lose choices.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would imagine if you email the game and fish they will give you the requirements

- - - Updated - - -

If your concerned about money don’t give out prize money. There are many on the waiting list. I would bet they could have a full field without any prize money. The planning has already been done for this tournament. And it’s like the millionth year so really little to no new planning for this year. It’s all a big bunch of bullshit. People should really take this into consideration when pondering fishing this tournament next year

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66