Trailer bunk slicks

Walleyedevil

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have sprayed silicone on bunks in the past and it makes them pretty slick, lasts a while too.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a used boat that had similar plastic slicks on the bunks. These were one piece and ran the whole length of the bunks. They were really hard on the gel coat of the boat. Not sure what they would be like on paint. I took them off right away and just used the carpet.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't want my bunks too slick, I want to be able to unhook before backing down. I know the drotto latch has the easy release, buts its still too much for y partner to do when we are unloading.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
wearing out bunk carpet b4 the boat carpet... kudos to you my friend, you're doing it right...

GSP22366

Check out Gatorbak from Claramont MN. I got tired of sand and pieces of plant ground into carpet. I installed clear bunks and added LED light strips for night loading. The water gushes out of the channels as you leave the ramp- no more wet carpet. Good guys to work with.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does not matter what brand of silicone as long as it is 100% silicone, other stuff will not work.

How slick will it make it? I still want to unhook boat while out of the water.

How often do you spray it on?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did. It was called a K-dee launcher trailer.

Unfortunately they have ceased making boat trailers.

https://www.liqualube.com/k-dee-trailers.html

[h=2][/h]

Effective April 1, 2014, K-Dee Trailers has ceased trailer manufacturing operations in order for us to focus on our outstanding Liqua-Lube Product. If you have any questions or are looking for parts, please feel free to give us a call and we will be happy to point you in the right direction!

Please take some time to look through this Liqua-Lube website. Liqua-Lube is a one-of-a-kind incredible product for lubricating trailer hubs. Liqua-Lube completely erases the need for petroleum-based grease and bearing changes.

Sincerely,

Ken and Dee Ann Persson

Liqua-Lube Corporation

1-800-561-9917

b7278a6ece79c89f28e147ab0b13535a

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Unfortunately they have ceased making boat trailers.

https://www.liqualube.com/k-dee-trailers.html

Effective April 1, 2014, K-Dee Trailers has ceased trailer manufacturing operations in order for us to focus on our outstanding Liqua-Lube Product. If you have any questions or are looking for parts, please feel free to give us a call and we will be happy to point you in the right direction!

Please take some time to look through this Liqua-Lube website. Liqua-Lube is a one-of-a-kind incredible product for lubricating trailer hubs. Liqua-Lube completely erases the need for petroleum-based grease and bearing changes.

Sincerely,

Ken and Dee Ann Persson

Liqua-Lube Corporation

1-800-561-9917

cache.php

Yep thats why I said it WAS called a KDee. I had one under a 1890 Yarcraft and that saved me on numerous sketchy low water boat ramps back in the day.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How slick will it make it? I still want to unhook boat while out of the water.

How often do you spray it on?

I'm interested as well...be curious to know just how slick the spray would actually make the bunks! Wouldn't want the boat shifting/sliding going down the road even with stern straps tight. Wear and tear on the carpet...any?

Last edited:

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no wear and tear on the carpet from the Silicone, far more from weeds, dirt and grime.

- - - Updated - - -

Using Silicone is an effective way to help people load/unload their boats with bunk trailers. It is not that slick, and if put on works great. Far too many people think they need to run and gun and snap the boat off the trailer. With Silicone, you unload it properly. After taking transom straps off, back the boat into the water, unhook the front strap, then either push it off, drive it off or back into the water and tap on the brakes and it slides off.
When I had bunk trailers, I think I used a few cans a year, it depended on how much sand and gravel you drove on as when the bunks got dirty they stuck a little more.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The waters you fish must be pretty dirty, lake OAHE is where I fish and I doubt I get much dirt at all on my bunks.

Joshua79

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I replaced bunks on my older boat I put these on and they worked really well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A8NKT0Y/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Pair of Cedar 2x6 to length a couple screws with my boat parked on shore and it was done. Never had any issues with it but only had the boat for a year and half after that.

In hind site I might have just went to menards looked for a pair of solid composite(fake wood) 2x6 that were smooth surfaced and just went with that. Aluminum hull though not sure how it would be on a glass boat.

Walleyedevil

I'm going to try the silicone. Just bought 2 cans today. Brand new bunks with carpet. I have a buddy with a forklift so I can lift the boat up a few inches and slide the old bunks out and replace with the new. I will adjust the new bunks accordingly. Hopefully don't eff it up...ha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75