Need new kitchen knives that stay sharp

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have got a Dalstrong sho gun series boning knife and really like it. They make about everything you would need for a kitchen set as well.

https://dalstrong.com/

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of my wifes co-workers swears by Damascus steel, I haven't used them myself but they seem to be decent, something like this one

Kitchen Damascus Knife Set, 9-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block, ABS Handle for Chef Knife Set, Knife Sharpener and Kitchen Shears, Beechwood Block
by Brothers Kitchen Knife
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082V2CZXG/?tag=nodakangler10-20

The only thing that really matters about most Damascus blades for sale commercially is the core. The Damascus is just layer in the outside for asthetics. Assuming it’s heat-treated properly, The VG-10 core in the knives in the Amazon link should be excellent.

Last edited:

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have replaced all of our knives with Rada Brand, made in the USA, great steel, easy to sharpen and keep an edge using a plain old steel and have about every type you can imagine. Sets or individual pieces to make up your own set. I have even went with their boning and fillet knives.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
the harder the steel, the longer it will hold an edge, but the harder it is to resharpen and the more likely it will chip/break. Id look into getting a good sharpener instead of new knives. are you using plastic cutting boards or wooden? Dexter Russel has an extensive line of knives aimed primarly at commercial use, but they are reasonably priced and arent junk, if you want something that looks fancy, these arent it, but they are good bang for your buck and its nice to pick exactly what you want instead of buying a set where some will seldom if ever be used.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rada for us also. Set was given to us for a wedding gift 24 years ago. Came with its own sharpener that is very easy to use. Wife and I both love them.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rada brand for the wife. And as trapper62 said. She tosses 'em around like the rest of the silverware. I can touch 'em up pretty easily. The knives i use I won't let her touch. I have two knife blocks, one with Chicago cutlery knives stored in there own block. She has been told hands off. Another Block of knives is above the refrigerator that she cannot reach without a stool and I can get at them when I need them. I also have two stone (maybe three?) chefs knife electric sharpener. I haven't used it for years mainly as stated above. Keep your hands off my knives. I will never toss my knives in the sink (no dishwasher). As soon as I'm done with them, they get washed individually with hot water and dried and put in the respective knife block. That's the only way i can keep an edge on 'em.

Last edited:

bobberdown

wustohf, all the way, you pay for what you get. they also make a hand held sharpener, course grade and fine grade I did break a handle one time with the large chef knife, trying to bust a frozen chicken, using the handle as a hammer, sent it back to wustohf, replaced, no questions asked. I have had my set for fifteen years, also have purchased other knifes along the way, wusthof, and their filet knife is really sweet

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, don't put them in the dishwasher!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man some of these knife sets mentioned are $1400..I need a better job! Ha ha ha
Good for you guys thou.
Had a couple of pricey sets through the years, seemed a person was sharpening allot.
Embarrassed to say but..
Went cheap 10 years ago n bought the Miracle blade III set. Have never sharpened a kitchen knife since, crazy good knives for the price.

Last edited:

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
i started a thread awhile back on this topic and ended up getting Wustohf and love them!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75