Need new kitchen knives that stay sharp

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would like to know what you recommend for a darn good set of kitchen knives that stay nice and sharp and are easy to touch up to resharpen them?
My bride needs a new set and the different sets that we have just don't stay sharp and in my old age i am getting darn tired of trying to sharpen them every week or so.
If you can recommend and give me a link to look and see which ones we decide to buy that would be great! I know they won't be cheap for a darn good set and we want a darn good set.
Thank you kindly!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have an answer, but I do have 2 questions for you.

1. Does she/you use a cutting board or does she cut stuff on plates, platters, or whatever happens to be under the medium to be cut?

2. Do you/she intend to wash the knives by hand or run them in a dishwasher?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. My wife uses what ever
2. fire them in the dish washer

the reasons I never spent money on good knives as it seems she hates cutting boards

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

1. Does she/you use a cutting board or does she cut stuff on plates, platters, or whatever happens to be under the medium to be cut?

1. My wife uses what ever
2. fire them in the dish washer

the reasons I never spent money on good knives as it seems she hates cutting boards

1. If you are cutting on a surface and your knife doesn't leave a cut mark on the surface under the meat, the surface is dulling your knife. I always use only a wood cutting board.

2. Do NOT as in NEVER EVER run your knives thru a dishwasher. The high heat/humidity of the drying cycle will corrode the edge off your knives. ps: do NOT ever run your wood cutting board thru a dishwasher as the high heat/humidity can release the glue holding the board together and it can come apart.

3. Store your knives in a wood knife block, not loose in a knife drawer where the cutting edge can be up against something that will dull the edge.

4. This is what I use to sharpen my knives: Accusharp.

IMG_2500.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. If you are cutting on a surface and your knife doesn't leave a cut mark on the surface under the meat, the surface is dulling your knife. I always use only a wood cutting board.

2. Do NOT as in NEVER EVER run your knives thru a dishwasher. The high heat/humidity of the drying cycle will corrode the edge off your knives. ps: do NOT ever run your wood cutting board thru a dishwasher as the high heat/humidity can release the glue holding the board together and it can come apart.

3. Store your knives in a wood knife block, not loose in a knife drawer where the cutting edge can be up against something that will dull the edge.

4. This is what I use to sharpen my knives: Accusharp.

20221106_194411.jpg

said all that shit but she looks at me like I am talking Chinese

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

She always uses a cutting board.
We always wash the knives by hand.

The knives are stored in a block.

We are thinking Calphalon Classic or Contemporary or Wusthof Classic.

Last edited:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
We have some wisthof and Chicago cutlery, and a couple of odd balls and can’t really tell a difference. I would suggest buying a quality two or three wheel counter sharpener, like a chefs choice. We abuse ours terribly, but they are always real sharp due to the easy to use sharpener. A sharp shitty knife is better than a dull good one.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used this brand when I worked in packing houses. I have several still that are over 20 years old. Best knives in the drawer. They are NOT cheap to purchase but my wife even used one of the skinning knives out in the yard cutting branches grrrrrrrr (she wont again).

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Pr...--Sets/Fibrox-8-Piece-Block-Set/p/5.1193.8-X1 here is a kitchen set.

I have several each of the flexible filleting knives, the 6 inch skinning knives and one of the lamb skinning knives.

Here they are individually priced

https://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?productLine=57

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems weird to me. I’ve never sharpened my “kitchen” knives. And they are hand me downs from God knows who. Ha
What are you cutting?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of cutco I have a 7 or 8 piece cannot remember #57 steak knife set in original wooden box I’d be willing to part with for any of you knife collectors.

i cannot speak on the quality as I have never used them just collecting dust at the moment

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cutco not only has great knives, but lifetime free sharpening. I have a camp in northern Ontario and have a crew come from Indiana where Cutco is from and they swear by them and I have used them and they are fantastic. Perhaps get a handful of Cutco and send some in each year to have them sharpened. I too would question what you are cutting on, stay on wood as it is softer than the blade.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had wustoff an thought they were ok. Went to shun classics. Very sharp. Very comfortable in the hand and they also will sharpen for free. I bought two and rotate them through when I send one off to get sharpened.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
we have a chicago cutlery block, a bunch of misfits and most importantly for me, a chefs choice 3 wheel sharpener that is easy to use

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have used Cutco for about 20 years, same set. Take care of them and have lasted and rarely sharpen but do use the sharpener that came with the set. Would buy them again but doubt I will ever need another set. Hand wash use a cutting board, and store them in the wood block that they came in. All good advice regardless of the brand.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have a chicago cutlery block, a bunch of misfits and most importantly for me, a chefs choice 3 wheel sharpener that is easy to use

The Chef's Choice sharpeners are the bomb! Takes seconds to get a sharp edge.

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't allow her to use them then!!!!

This is what I tried. I had 4 really good boning knives as I used to work as a meat cutter and I bought some of the same knives we used at the store. I used them for deer, elk, etc. They were always kept in my hunting stuff. I came home one day and she was using one of them to trim some plastic off of something. She said hers were too dull (keep in mind I sharpen them often but they are put in a drawer and tend to dull rather quickly) It was the most memorable fight we ever had. She might have used one of the knives on me if she could have gotten ahold of one. After some rather intense discussion, I figured the only way I was going to come out ok was to give her 2 of them and then replace them at a later time. I did. She was happy knowing she had 2 of them. Good luck:)_

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of my wifes co-workers swears by Damascus steel, I haven't used them myself but they seem to be decent, something like this one

Kitchen Damascus Knife Set, 9-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block, ABS Handle for Chef Knife Set, Knife Sharpener and Kitchen Shears, Beechwood Block
by Brothers Kitchen Knife
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082V2CZXG/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82