Siding & Window recommendations

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking at replacing my Masonite siding installed when home was built in 1987. I am looking at replacing with the narrow Masonite or possibly steel. We are also looking at replacing our 1987 Anderson windows as well. Any installation company recommendations, products or what to avoid? If you post want to post, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

Wishing everyone one "tight lines" this weekend!!! Yet remember those who have gone before us.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pre finished LP Smartside and Minnkota Windows. The windows are made in Fargo I believe. I’ve had them in my last two homes and love em

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had Marvin Infinity windows, patio door, and entry doors installed by Windows Plus about 10yrs ago. The installers were excellent. The windows slide open easily both winter and summer. The doors don't drag, nor do the knobs or deadbolt, the sliding patio door functions perfectly winter or summer. I'd have them install again for me in a heartbeat.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pre finished LP Smartside and Minnkota Windows. The windows are made in Fargo I believe. I’ve had them in my last two homes and love em

I was looking at the website on both LP Smartside and Minnkota Windows. I think I have seen the siding around out here in the Dickinson area. Not sure about the windows though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at the website on both LP Smartside and Minnkota Windows. I think I have seen the siding around out here in the Dickinson area. Not sure about the windows though.
Bosch lumber sells both. I got mine from them. LP Siding will be all over down there

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have used installer from Lowe's for replacing some windows. They had like a 18 month no interest loan special and wrapped the labor in with the cost of the windows on the Lowes card. True, it might not work for a huge outlay but worked slick for us at the time for our particular situation at the time.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an FYI, have been getting some quotes back on a new home build and from that, LP was quoted about $10k higher than steel. I was told the material cost is similar between LP and steel but the labor on the LP is more. LP requires all the cut ends to be painted and all the gaps and joints to be caulked/sealed. Vinyl came in another $9k below steel.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
id go with steel siding windows not sure, I have a minkota double hung windows in a new house a pair right over my bed and in the winter not impressed with the cold that comes through.

MuleyAssassin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call Leingang Home Center 701-225-1609. Been in business over 40 years. Great products and excellent installation.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Installation of smart siding is the secret to success. I'm guessing lots of it installed incorrectly by flaky companies. It's one of those projects where you need to read the instructions and follow them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built homes for many years. Wouldn’t put steel or vinyl on a home for nothing anymore. If your quote for LP was more than steel you need to shop around.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just completed an addition on the house last fall and had all the siding replaced with LP. Long term I hope it holds up. Love the appearance overall, tho it's not seamless was a small downside. Extra cost over vinyl was a no brainer to me.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is LP better than steel? I've had vinyl, steel, and LP and personally prefer the steel. We've been through 2 hail storms with no damage and price wise steel was less than the LP. Depending on who installs it the LP can look messy with how its caulked and painted . As far as windows both of our last 2 builds used Andersen 400 series windows and I would say they are pretty damn good for the price.

bilbo

Honored Member
Installation of smart siding is the secret to success. I'm guessing lots of it installed incorrectly by flaky companies. It's one of those projects where you need to read the instructions and follow them.

I put smartside on my shed I built last summer. I can see where it would be a little more labor than vinyl or steel siding. The only piece I missed was painting the ends; hopefully it lasts until we sell the place. I even read it in the instructions but brain farted while putting it in. I used 'H' channel for the few butt joints I had and that eliminates caulking there. Another thing to watch is the gaps. They look huge and not right while installing, but once caulked it looks as it should. If the gaps are too small the caulk doesn't have as much real estate to grab onto and comes off early.

The decision to use smartside was due having kids who punch holes in vinyl during winter with balls and stuff, and a snowblower that does the same. We found the boards on clearance at Menards which brought the material cost down quite a bit. I think it was a special order that wasn't picked up. I have no experience with steel. The neighbor put it up and they are pretty sensitive about me snowblowing my gravel driveway nearby.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is LP better than steel? I've had vinyl, steel, and LP and personally prefer the steel. We've been through 2 hail storms with no damage and price wise steel was less than the LP. Depending on who installs it the LP can look messy with how its caulked and painted . As far as windows both of our last 2 builds used Andersen 400 series windows and I would say they are pretty damn good for the price.
LP will out perform steel in hail easily. You can the shit with a hammer and not cause damage to it. It looks way better in my opinion. But like you said the installation can be so poor it looks like shit. It’s way easier to put on than steel. Seals your house up far better then steal. Unless you are piss poor at caulking you won’t get rain in behind it like steel. You don’t have to install all the J trim everywhere like steal. Painting cut edges on LP takes about ten Seconds. I’ve had vinyl, steal and LP on personal homes and have installed all dozens of times on customers homes and only thing I’ll put on anymore is LP type products.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
LP will out perform steel in hail easily. You can the shit with a hammer and not cause damage to it. It looks way better in my opinion. But like you said the installation can be so poor it looks like shit. It’s way easier to put on than steel. Seals your house up far better then steal. Unless you are piss poor at caulking you won’t get rain in behind it like steel. You don’t have to install all the J trim everywhere like steal. Painting cut edges on LP takes about ten Seconds. I’ve had vinyl, steal and LP on personal homes and have installed all dozens of times on customers homes and only thing I’ll put on anymore is LP type products.

I went with LP on my lake place and I think it looks worlds better than steel or vinyl. It did cost more, but It should never have to be painted or have an issue for a long time. The guys I had install it did it by the book with painting and caulking. I'm really happy with the how it turned out.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an FYI, have been getting some quotes back on a new home build and from that, LP was quoted about $10k higher than steel. I was told the material cost is similar between LP and steel but the labor on the LP is more. LP requires all the cut ends to be painted and all the gaps and joints to be caulked/sealed. Vinyl came in another $9k below steel.

Both vinyl and steel do a great job of keeping the sun off your house wrap but do a terrible job of keeping water and rely on the house wrap for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at replacing my Masonite siding installed when home was built in 1987. I am looking at replacing with the narrow Masonite or possibly steel. We are also looking at replacing our 1987 Anderson windows as well. Any installation company recommendations, products or what to avoid? If you post want to post, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

Wishing everyone one "tight lines" this weekend!!! Yet remember those who have gone before us.

I installed Anderson windows in my present house during a remodel and also had them in my previous house. Between the 2 houses I am going on 27 years with Anderson windows and have had minimal problems. My previous house both issues were collapsed glass one on a patio door and one window sash. In both cases Anderson took care of them and sent out a complete door and a window sash.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member

Can't say anything about siding, but Minnkota Windows, installed them in my house S. of Fargo. Loved them. I decided last year that I would replace with Minnkota windows again. Big freaking mistake. My order got bumped and bumped and bumped. I ordered them at the Beginning of Sept with a quote of 4-6 weeks. I didn't get them until Dec 6 and then they messed up my order on 3 of the windows. Still I am dealing with them as I have a crack in one of the vinyl welds in a corner. In one of the windows there is about a dime side blemish (its on the second story and you can't see it unless you look out the window or are on a ladder, so not dealing with them on this). So far their only comments back to me is oh-well.

I don't know what the hell happened, maybe it is the local rep or something changed at Minnkota. I won't be going back to them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76