Wild Raspberries

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone transplanted wild raspberries and strawberries or know it they are worth the time ? These are more like seeds planted by deer I think but we call them as wild . They only produce a couple or a few berries in that environment but the plants are abundant . I can't think of a reason not but I'd hate to transplant a bunch and find out they are duds. I have a few coming from a greenhouse but I could build a nice patch in a day if it's worth the time.

- - - Updated - - -

These are back in the woods .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only drawback about the wild strawberries that I have found is that they are really tiny.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a dozen rasberry plants (bare root) from Gurneys 3 years ago and now I must have 500 plants in the patch and all the berrys I can use.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Please come transplant the raspberries from my neighbors yard that are now creeping into mine. Feel free to take as many white poofy dandelions as you'd like from him too...and don't forget all the crab grass and quack grass you can handle. If you are really feeling energetic, you could mow his grass. It currently sees a blade about four times a year.:mad:

I'm actually going to paint round up on every raspberry stem and leaf on my side of the fence this week...it will be interesting to see how many of the stalks on his side of the fence mysteriously die. Sorry, I hijacked your thread. You said raspberry and I sorta snapped.

I love the dang things and if I had a bigger yard or something a raspberry patch might be pretty sweet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
domestic raspberries would put out 10x the fruit - meaning you can have a much smaller patch and easier harvest

one or two plants turns into 100 pretty quick

I agree with wild strawberries - best taste on earth... but too bad they're the size of a BB

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started a strawberry bed last year. Didn't know they should have been covered with straw for the winter but they survived. Wonder if I clip runners and put them in the river bed if they will take off? My raspberries don't seem to have faired so well.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like I better try just a couple of each for an experiment. I was thinking maybe they were stunted from the shade and competition for moisture but I was hesitant about wasting fruitless time unless someone said they have done it with decent results.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a greenhorn at raspberries because all we ever had to do it eat them , I think all along the deer were doing my Mom a big favor because they seemed to produce well and I don't remember us doing anything special with them. Eventually the patch grew up with weeds and grass and I started mowing the spot.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both raspberries and strawberries tend to produce the best fruit on 2-3 yr old plants. So often when you see them in the wild they don't look like much because you may very well be looking at older canes and plants.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never understood primocanes and floricanes and why some raspberries only produced in the fall.

thank God I saw the differences described somewhere before I planted/established mine (brought canes home from Mom’s patch)

https://extension.umn.edu/fruit/gro...en#what-are-primocanes-and-floricanes?-331660

I like raspberries all summer - not just fall!

- - - Updated - - -

(I almost mowed them down last fall)

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like primos because they are easier for me to maintain and its nice getting higher production for a shorter period for me. If you like a few here and there all summer tho, flori might be the way to go.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing beats a stroll outside in the morning to get some nice raspberries for your granola/yogurt

- - - Updated - - -

why don't we teach useful knowledge like this in high school????

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My lab loves raspberries as a treat, will not pick them herself but apples and cukes she will.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update : I transplanted a few and watered and fertilized a bunch that are under heavy competition with trees and they came to life like you would never believe but the proof is in the pudding so only time will tell . Common sense tells me they are the same strain of plants we had in the garden that produced well in that environment so they should be able to again .

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab loves raspberries as a treat, will not pick them herself but apples and cukes she will.

Ha, my lab would get in and pick her own sweet peas when I was in the garden. Loved potatoes when I would dig them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have to watch the bucket cause anything I pick is fair game to her except onions, those she leaves alone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80