Work from office or home?

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So the Governor is pushing for state agencies to do what they can to keep state employees working from home. Not only until this pandemic is done, but from here on out. He is touting that a Aitasker survey says that people are more productive and work an extra 1.4 days/month from home. https://www.airtasker.com/blog/the-benefits-of-working-from-home/

Yet on the flipside there is another study by a Stanford Researcher that says people may be more productive, but then there is a significant decrease innovation. Plus this study points out the economics during this pandemic that keeping people in their homes now to work affects ones mental health because when they are done with work, there is still fear of being exposed to the COVID. Yes, people no longer have to commute to work, but we need to see and be around people and meet face to face for mental reasons. I would really like to hear from a respected Human Psychologist to get their points of view. https://news.stanford.edu/2020/03/30/productivity-pitfalls-working-home-age-covid-19/. I believe that in today's world there are many ways you can read data and you can always find a way to counter someone's findings. But I struggled for 2 months working from home and being productive. So I moved back to office last week and am feeling more positive, more productive and am back to a routine and purpose to get up and head in.

What are some of your thoughts out there?

Speaking of that.....I have to head to the office for work. :D

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is this first time I’ve ever worked from home and I certainly have enjoyed it. Like most things in life, there are pros and cons to both though. I think I’m more productive when just working on something myself, but if it comes to an issue that needs multiple people to solve and work on, that’s when things become less efficient IMO.

I personally would do great with about a 50/50 schedule of Home/office.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd love to work from home. Reality is very few can do it. Might be fine for a pencil pusher but there's way more jobs that require one to be on site.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I had a kid and dogs I worked from home when not on the road. It was pretty awesome but you definitely miss out on the office interactions. Now that I have a 10 month old and two dogs I can't wait to get her back in daycare and me back in the office. It's f'n exhausting trying to juggle work with dad duty

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya there fishsticks, got a 13 month old, a dog, and red lab puppy on the way while just moving into our new home this last weekend. Trying to juggle this all while working from home is a shitshow but I'll take my work from home 100% over going to the office. There are crazy times and there are lulls, well it's sure nice when u can get some important stuff done at home during the day instead of trying to cram it in every night. Hell, a guy can actually relax with the family or go fishing on a couple week nights if this works out. These phones can replace a ton of face to face interaction and signage. The younger millenials and gen x's were definitely built this way and will have a lot more job choices from home in the future.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm one of those pencil pushers as NDSportsman would say. We I moved 3 years ago I was told I could work from home instead of put in my notice. It has been a struggle. I did great working from home when I was "in the office", but working from home you have to get your new pattern. I found dropping the kids off at school gave me the trigger that it time to start working. I still have a problem with end of day. It comes at either 4 or 8, sometimes later.

There is something to seeing people and putting a face to the people you work with.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I forgot to add.....the state says to work from home, we need to have a dedicated office space, which means to give up spare bedroom. No one is to have access or wonder in and out of this room for confidentiality. I can't and don't want to give up my spare room...neither does my wife.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife normally works from home three days a week. But has been strictly from home since this bullshit started. As pointed out above very few could do it successfully. Can easily be abused so you have to have discipline. And numerous other reasons

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a wife already working from home, and three kids there too. I prefer to come to my office at work.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is nothing more soul sucking than sitting in an office for 40+hrs a week, IMO.

That said, we deal with companies that went to remote offices during Covid, and still continue it to this day, and the level of CS has dramatically decreased. I think it's very dependent on the job/industry, and the person, if it works well or not.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the cost of office space, the State is just following the same lead as many large companies and the federal government by allowing certain workers to work remotely. As many have already pointed out, it's not so simple to figure out who is cut out for remote work. I find having the flexibility to work remotely or being in the office is awesome. There are days where I need to be around others for the tasks at hand, and other days where it's better to be isolated at home.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would bet most of those working from home do not get their work done as needed. I have lots of friends and know people in business that is shows. I do alot of work in many state agencies and they are all starting to come back I wonder why? I have friends that are fishing, hunting ,vacationing more than ever, Or they ask me all week want to go do this, I tell them I work 8 to 5 or have to take off. I think it is a big joke. We have people at work tried it lasted about 6 monthsto one year. Everything Burgum has done is worthless. Not too many people in State have anything good to say or are quiting and retire early. Lots of people that have worked there most of their life where let go for no reason.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work a ton out of my mobile office (F150), hot spot my phone when I need a laptop to complete whatever task, its awesome, as I can fart as loudly and frequently as I want. It is also nice to be at the office on days when its a "computer" day, much more comfortable to be able to sit in an office chair and work the keys.
I find the working at my own schedule on being in an office or out, I work more on my out days time wise anyway.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the standard for productivity went to shit in the us ---it was already on a downslide and covid put it over working at home for some did not help it.

Interest rate is helping productivity --- i think we will see some major layoffs coming this spring. Bump it up a little more hit that sweet spot and then i dont think it will matter where you work your productivity will be increased.

If our lousy govt didnt control our interest rate and we really relied on capitalism-- we would of never had this issue.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been working from home since i retire 3 years ago. Works just fine for me but then that's me. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the 90s i was a field mechanic and did my paper work at home. I got so much time per work order. pretty much worked 5 hours a day got paid for 8 to 10 most days. I don't think this working from home is very productive.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think remote work productivity depends on two things. First, can the person doing the work be productive when unsupervised or will they milk the system. Second, is their work monitored?

My wife works from home most days and her work can be tracked by what time she logs-in in the morning. She also has deadlines for completing her work, her co-workers and her are on web meetings several times a day as well. It works for her as she seems to get her work done, as wells as the work of others.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems the people I know who work from home like it. I know I would hate it, so boring sitting in front of a screen all day. I know a few who work from home a couple days a week and go to the office the other days; that situation I could see being favorable - get your busy work where you don't want to be bothered done at home. Plenty of people who work in office settings waste plenty of time chatting with colleagues or playing on their social media, etc., so I can see an employer's view that they might as well not pay for office space as I could see the productivity not being much different from home. A couple state workers I know sure seem to have a lot of flexibility during the day, guess I don't ask if they're on the clock when they are running around doing errands.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done both and I will be honest and admit I am much more productive in the office. I like the structure and it also helps to keep my work life and home life separate. For me, there are just too many distractions at home to stay motivated. I do know some who work from home and it works great for them. I just prefer the office.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77