Chokecherry Trees...

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do I stop the little ones from popping up everywhere?! They’ve been driving me crazy since we bought our house five years back. Looks like there were two trees at one point, and one of them was hacked down. I’m guessing he little ones come up so easily and in such numbers because of the damage to the tree. Any way to make this crap stop? Lucan, any tips?
79CEBF0B-BE18-492D-8814-FA8B0F134480.jpg0C3659FE-598B-4B7F-A701-8F46436FC353.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chokes are just one of a group that like to send up suckers from the roots. Theres normally not a whole hell of a lot you can do other than just periodically cut them back.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you dig out the roots that are sending up suckers, it will remedy the problem temporarily, more than just cutting the suckers off, which will keep regrowing in the same spot, not a lot you can do besides replace it with a tree that doesnt sucker. if you like cherries, maybe Bali or Montmornecy? There are a few others that dont sucker also...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
56 carbide teeth on a Stihl weed whaker took care of a few hundred for me last week. Anything under 3 inches is toast.331D8B71-6CD3-4556-916C-54213DF3140F.jpeg

Looks wicked, Do they buck and kick ? or I suppose not enough power , What's cutting a 3'' like ? slow and easy ? Wondering how it would work for trimming up branches on bigger trees ?

- - - Updated - - -

I checked them out on youtube, Thanks for the tip , I'll be ordering one this weekend.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a product called "Sucker Stopper" that you can pick up at Lowe's Garden Center in Minot. I have used it with mixed success. If you follow the directions it will hold down the suckers for a growing season. But it is an annual treatment to keep them off. Much less work than cutting. But as mentioned earlier, it is naturally a bush forming plant, so you are fighting its natural growing habit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks wicked, Do they buck and kick ? or I suppose not enough power , What's cutting a 3'' like ? slow and easy ? Wondering how it would work for trimming up branches on bigger trees ?

- - - Updated - - -

I checked them out on youtube, Thanks for the tip , I'll be ordering one this weekend.

I bought chain saw chaps. I used them the first day then after learning to use it I dont bother with the chaps. The trick is to cut with the left side of the blade. If it binds it kicks away from you. I tried cutting on the right side. Only a little bind and that sucker kicks back. Im going to need my sharpened after hitting a rock. It still cuts off one inch instantly. I tried only one three inch ash tree. It took that down in maybe 10 seconds or less. In thick one inch choke cherry you can sweep almost like cutting grass. One inch or less there is little kick back swinging left and right.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
56 carbide teeth on a Stihl weed whaker took care of a few hundred for me last week. Anything under 3 inches is toast.331D8B71-6CD3-4556-916C-54213DF3140F.jpeg

Brand name, where to buy, & thanks for the tip. Probably best not to use this while up a ladder.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76