Dog eats rocks!

Alumacraft 175

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 1 year old lab who has started eating rocks. Do I have cause for concern and if so what should I do?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister had a dog that would fetch a rock. You could take any rock, and examine it close, and throw it. It may take him an hour or so, but he'd bring back that same rock....and if he couldn't find it, he'd bring back a different one. I think he ate them too, if you would throw them kind of at him, he'd catch it and eat it.

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
My now 13 year old Springer used to play with rocks when he was less than a year old. Well, he swallowed one and it couldn't pass. I still have a $1,100 rock that had to be surgically removed if you want it. It's gone where no other rock has gone before, probably priceless, but I'll take the highest offer-haha.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a good deal id try and put a stop to it. my wife had a rott probably spent 3 grand getting rocks that wouldn't pass in the 6 years she lived. they are real shiney when they are in there stomachs for a couple weeks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was little we had a big ol elkhound/boxer cross that ate marbles. I'd shoot them across the floor and he would run and gulp them down so many at a time that I could wiggle his belly and hear them rattle . He usually crapped in moms flower garden and I'd find them back. It didn't seem to bother him, I can't remember what ever happened to Butch but I think of him and chuckle when I find a marble in the garden.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbors are actually replacing their rock garden with sod this weekend because they can't get their springer/lab cross from eating these lava type rocks. He chews them up and swallows 'em. wierd.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
a friend had a poodle cross that would fetch rocks out of the water. he would swim around and then dive and retrieve the rock it is one of the craziest thing I have ever seen

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a friend had a poodle cross that would fetch rocks out of the water. he would swim around and then dive and retrieve the rock it is one of the craziest thing I have ever seen

and retrieve the exact rock right? I knew a german shepard that would do the same thing - didnt matter how cloudy the water was that sob could smell under water.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember years ago there was a drowning in the river and they looked for a week for the body with no luck. They brought in a cadaver dog and it found the body right away.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend in CA that is an avid duck hunter and he always has Goldens. 20 years ago he had a male golden, Copper, that would dive into their pool and retrieve a toy bone that John had thrown into the 8' end that had sunk to the bottom. One of the damnedest things I had ever seen.

Coalburner

Honored Member
I have 1 year old lab who has started eating rocks. Do I have cause for concern and if so what should I do?
Yellow lab kept eating white rocks out of the rock garden had to open him up twice - cost nearly 3k - third time he didn’t make it - he was 5 years old and really good dog. I think there is a spray called grannicks that will stop them - wish I would have known about it earlier.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
My now 13 year old Springer used to play with rocks when he was less than a year old. Well, he swallowed one and it couldn't pass. I still have a $1,100 rock that had to be surgically removed if you want it. It's gone where no other rock has gone before, probably priceless, but I'll take the highest offer-haha.

We had a Lab that would do the same thing. He would usually pass them, and we tried to keep a close eye on him, but he would still get into them. Sometimes we would catch him and do the peroxide trick to get him to throw up. We were out of town and the folks were watching him. He got into their landscape rocks and ate four. We had a $550 vet bill to get them removed.

Aucker33

Established Member
20200607_120151.jpg

Good thing my lab chooses rocks he can't eat. He just rolls them around the yard with his nose.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am hoping that it is a puppy deal but mine is all about rocks but he tries to eat every thing at this point .

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a Dalmatian dog that would dive for rocks and bring them to shore for us, but dog's eating rocks, it's maybe going to hail

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74