Walk behind mowers

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to replace my 5 year old Toro. The self propelled handle is broken and would need to be completely replaced.Not going to put any cash into it, just replace the entire machine.

I am stuck between the Toro, and the Honda. Looking for some help on which way to go. I feel a mower should last 10 years at least, so Toro is not shining right now, but really liked it when it was working.

Any reviews and help would be great, or other brands that are top line. Cost is not an issue, just want one that does a fantastic job, and will last.

thanks,

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should buy Mrs. JuanR a rider, instead of making her use a push mower. ……..;:;rofl

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a Honda works good, but get a spare part for the auto choke, Part# 16620-Z8D-305, when choke doesn't work it's hard to start

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve never had a Honda fail. Still have all three we have ever bought going at various houses/lake etc. One is over 30 years old, another is probably about 20, and the other about 5. Have always bought the higher end ones with the hydrostatic drive, never a major issue with any of them.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because of our recent life adventure. We had two new mowers in 2017. A Honda and a Toro. Take the Honda hands down.
1) Better speed control, thumb on the handle bar. 2) Bigger gas tank. 3) Way better recycler blade system. Both in the same price range about $450.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on JR pay some local kid to mow your lawn and spread the wealth and hopefully teach a youth how to work to get money!

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a no-choke/1 pull start Craftsman push mower. It takes a few pulls to start in the spring, but once the summer is going, it's one pull and away I go 95%+ of the year. Mine is eight years old. With the annual oil/spark plug change its been great.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/m110-21-in-140cc-push-mower

That plus cleaning the air filter works well for me too. Currently on a Toro.

Had a Craftsman for over 20 years until our son tried to see how it would do on a water shutoff pipe. Not so good . . .

The Toro is more finicky than the Craftsman ever was.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr have I got a deal for you. We moved to the country 24 years ago and have two acres to mow so I bought a rider. We had just bought a new Honda mulcher mower. Anyway it sat in the lawn shed for years and I tried starting it a couple of years ago. No go. I pulled the carb and put it in a hydrosonic cleaner. Three pulls later and it was running like new. Yesterday I was curious so I tried to start it. Gave it about a dozen pulls. So I dribbled some gas into the carb and had to do that twice before it started sucking gas on it's own. The thing was used about half of one summer. I was going to put it on Jamestown garage sale. Are you interested for $200.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr have I got a deal for you. We moved to the country 24 years ago and have two acres to mow so I bought a rider. We had just bought a new Honda mulcher mower. Anyway it sat in the lawn shed for years and I tried starting it a couple of years ago. No go. I pulled the carb and put it in a hydrosonic cleaner. Three pulls later and it was running like new. Yesterday I was curious so I tried to start it. Gave it about a dozen pulls. So I dribbled some gas into the carb and had to do that twice before it started sucking gas on it's own. The thing was used about half of one summer. I was going to put it on Jamestown garage sale. Are you interested for $200.

I am not, but greatly appreciate it. I am leaning towards the Honda one as of now. When I get something new I also like it to actually be new, and maybe improved.

thank you though.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
No problem. You will like the honda. Noise is about half of most mowers.
Last year I bought a small Snapper bagger. I needed grass clipping to cover new grass plantings. It ticks me off when I drop the handle and the darn mower turns off. I need to get rid of some stuff or Ill need a third lawn shed.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Kubota that is about 15 years old. Had to clean the carburetor once. Trouble free other than that. Not sure I have ever even looked at the spark plug. Generally starts on the first pull.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i could use a new 1 but am waiting for yeti to build 1... figure i could really piss people off with that... :cool:

★ Legendary Member
Looking to replace my 5 year old Toro. The self propelled handle is broken and would need to be completely replaced.Not going to put any cash into it, just replace the entire machine.

I am stuck between the Toro, and the Honda. Looking for some help on which way to go. I feel a mower should last 10 years at least, so Toro is not shining right now, but really liked it when it was working.

Any reviews and help would be great, or other brands that are top line. Cost is not an issue, just want one that does a fantastic job, and will last.

thanks,

my eastern North Dakota Toro is going strong 9years later, maybe things out west are just a little softer:;:stirthepot

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have never used a Toro or Honda but do have a Craftsman and would not hesitate to buy another. Second the comment about a few pulls in the spring and then one pull the rest of the summer. And yes, do clean the air cleaner at lest once a year.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a Toro Personal Pace 22" in 2016. Has run been a great runner, change spark plug and oil once a year. Cleaned the carb this spring for the first time but it started in maybe 4 pulls before I did that. I bag my lawn 99% of the time, been great for me.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
May want to check Ariens, usually high quality stuff.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really liked my Toro personal pace mower. I have a different house and a John Deere now, but still have the Toro. Must be 15 years old at least.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a craftsman that lasted for over 20 years changed oil on it twice in all those years never had to change the spark plug always started on the first or second pull. This spring went to start it and the cable that runs to the handle broke in two places so I had to put it down, sad day

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75