Fender Flares

★ Legendary Member
So I have a small amount of rust over the back wheel well of my 2011 Silverado and I looking for recommendations on Fender Flares. Thinking about the Speedform 1500. Pros/Cons????
Thanks.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fender flares are gay and I don't mean happy. Plus they aren't going to help stop the rust at this point only add to it by trapping moisture.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rub some dirt on it. Have a yukon in the same year and wish I would have done the same before I put these aggressive kanati trail hog shoes on before last hunting season, no evil brown cancer in sight yet though.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I put them on a 2005 GMC and it made world of difference in the look, for the better . I had them painted the same color as the pickup and it turned out better than I had expected

701Rounder

09 chevy has the rear cancer so bad I couldn't even put fender flares on if I wanted to I don't think. Sure ruins a truck. Never buying Chevy again.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
09 chevy has the rear cancer so bad I couldn't even put fender flares on if I wanted to I don't think. Sure ruins a truck. Never buying Chevy again.
It’s not chevy’s fault you can’t wash out the fender wells. It’s easy but most people just run it through a car wash and those spots don’t get cleaned.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s not chevy’s fault you can’t wash out the fender wells. It’s easy but most people just run it through a car wash and those spots don’t get cleaned.

Yep, gotta rinse em off once in a while.

I have a 2000 with a lot of miles that only has rocker rust.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about sanding/sand-blasting the rust then doing the rocker-panels and fenders w/color-matched line-X or similar?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can't speak for chevy's. but, i know the early to mid 2000s dodge rams had a design flaw in those rear quarter panels that caused their cancer. interior and exterior with some shit between them. the panel would take on water that then wouldn't drain. no amount of washing would have stopped it. twas the only complaint i have/had about mine after 350k miles. still very little rust any place else.

★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the information. My thought was something covering the small spots of rust will look better then nothing.

That guy

Honored Member
a body shop can fix rust properly but flares are a cheap way to cover rust. When buying a truck just remember if it has flares on it it most likely has rust. My kid's truck he bought had flares knew there was rust so took it to body shop put patch panels in and flares back on since only back wells were rusted.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
About a year ago my 2010 Chevy Silverado with 93000 miles on started showing signs of rust above the back driver side fender. In February a paint chip the size of my thumb nail popped off. Every time I got in and out, I looked at that chip and rust and it pissed me off. Took it to the body shop for an estimate to get it fixed. Guy looked at me and said $2000. I about started laughing and asked why? He said the only way they fix them is cut the side off and put a new one on. Umm nope that ain’t gonna happen. He then told me to put fender flares on it. I said that’s just a band aid. So here’s how I fixed it two weeks ago.

EDF78F74-648A-47D4-A02B-41ABEFEB7259.jpg

The guy at the body shop said to take the taillights out 2 or 3 times a year and spray water between the fender and box to get the dirt/mud out, because that is what makes them rust as they never dry out.

Why did it post 2 pictures?? :mad:

Attachments

97D57A5D-8875-4E2E-B9F1-6CAC4BFAF3A0.jpg
Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
About a year ago my 2010 Chevy Silverado with 93000 miles on started showing signs of rust above the back driver side fender. In February a paint chip the size of my thumb nail popped off. Every time I got in and out, I looked at that chip and rust and it pissed me off. Took it to the body shop for an estimate to get it fixed. Guy looked at me and said $2000. I about started laughing and asked why? He said the only way they fix them is cut the side off and put a new one on. Umm nope that ain’t gonna happen. He then told me to put fender flares on it. I said that’s just a band aid. So here’s how I fixed it two weeks ago.

1668443592194.png

The guy at the body shop said to take the taillights out 2 or 3 times a year and spray water between the fender and box to get the dirt/mud out, because that is what makes them rust as they never dry out.

Why did it post 2 pictures?? :mad:

I had the rusty chevy too at 65k ---- i cannot believe for the life of me - why they cant build the truck they had for years that didnt rust (pre 2007 - to about the 90s). I never had any issues with rust and would run them up to 120k or so.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fender flares are gay and I don't mean happy. Plus they aren't going to help stop the rust at this point only add to it by trapping moisture.

I don’t have any, but they actually can serve a positive purpose. Maybe not for a city boy like you who thinks he’s country because he drives section lines for a few weekends in November. Haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74