Dog's skin issue

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a lab that has really gotten dry, flaky, itchy, ultra sensitive skin since it's started getting warm out. I'm thinking it's allergies since he seems fine during the winter months. I've been giving him a shower with oatmeal infused soap but that doesn't appear to be helping. I'm thinking of trying benadryl at this point. Anything else you guys use in the summer time to quell the itching?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a dog going through the same thing - lab/hound mix. I haven't found anything that works yet.....I'm interested in possible solutions too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
when i have had those problems in the past it was switching food that fixed it.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dog goes through it In The heat of summer too. I just keep a baby pool in the yard for her to go in at all times. It seems like laying in the pool not o my helps with the heat but with the itch as well.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
chicken is often a bad ingredient

Royce's ears and eyes go water/goobery/itchy ballistic if fed any chicken ingredient dog food

I'd start switching until you find a good one

corn is commonly bad too if I undertand correctly

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my dog at least, it is seasonal - he's fine in late fall/winter. I've tried allergy meds, oatmeal baths, shampoos, hot spot treatment, etc.

Itching belly, nibbling legs, goopy eye gunk

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purina pro plan food with some fish oil mixed in with the food, coat should be greasy and shiny within a few days/week. Always has seemed to help with the shedding as well.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We had the same problem. Switched to the expensive food without any grains in it and he was cured. I would look into this.

This plus we tried a supplement called ShedX...recommended highly from friends...works like a champ.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't think it would be food since he's been fed Purina One chicken and rice for awhile and he seems fine in the winter. Hmm might be worth a try switching. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't think it would be food since he's been fed Purina One chicken and rice for awhile and he seems fine in the winter. Hmm might be worth a try switching. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Science diet is good stuff too FYI, switched the other pup off of it to the blue buffalo salmon "wilderness" for a trial period and her coat went from silk to course in a few days with dog hair EVERYWHERE all of a sudden. So back to the science diet she went and problem solved almost instantly. Until you get that shiny coat every dog deserves with the right balance, I'd be adding some omega 3's to their food in the meantime to speed up the process. It's a good 2 way street for pup and owner for sure!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little o-mega 3 will shine a lab right up. My female lab still sporting her winter coat for some reason, but she is due to cycle soon I figure that's why. I will wake up some morning to 3" of dog hair everywhere.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Same here, same solution to same problem. The vet switched the food to P. ProPlan lamb & rice. It worked.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab that I laid to rest 3 years ago had that issue, I was feeding purina and switched to walmart brand and it cleared up. Current lab will be 3 end of the month and he is on purina pro plan and no issues

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
9 times out of 10 the cause is food allergy. Do NOT bathe a lab too much....like hardly ever. They have natural oily hair that is meant to shed water. Other debris will usually find it's way out too do to the slick oil. Bathing them too much causes issues with the oil makeup of their hair and skin. This will make your issue worse.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s likely either season allergies or seasonal bugs that bite and irritate the skin.
My dog is on the expensive Lamb-based, grain free food. I still supplement her with grain based treats and such but I’m pretty convinced from all of the other dog owners around that have dogs experiencing the same thing in spring and early summer, these are reactions to environmental causes. There are biting flies this time of year if your dog lays in the grass, there are molds and pollens in the air, there are water born issues as well. It’s hot and humid. It’s just not the perfect environment for a dog for a few months.

Tazshane

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess they are hot spots. Seasonal allergies. They do have some sprays out there that help with this.

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
our dogs get this in the summer and my wife just adds some fish oil to the food. seems to help

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member

you use chicken or beef? I use chicken and my dog initially seemed to do well with it (german shepherd) but over the past 6 months seems to have a lot of nipping at her skin. Maybe ill switch to beef

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74