New boat

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I don’t know many people who are going to take a 50k + fiberglass or aluminum boat down a gravel road regularly without some serious rock protection. And any ditch fishing is not going to happen with any full-size 18’ boat glass or aluminum. Small light aluminum boats are about all a guy can use in those small channels and feeder lakes

I have seen some 621s get backed in some ditches -- depends on how deep the ditch is. Bunk vs roller makes a big difference on aluminum boats.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen some 621s get backed in some ditches -- depends on how deep the ditch is. Bunk vs roller makes a big difference on aluminum boats.

Let's face it, those are "One-offs" not John-Q boat owner.

I've got plenty of HP, weight, traction, and tires to get my boat in/out of Mike's the last few years, but, I've still never hauled it up there as I don't want to pull that much gravel nor deal w/that sort of ramp. I'm far from the only one.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the weight differential between glass and aluminum, I was curious. So a 189 Tyee GL weighs 2500 lbs (sans everything you would put on the hull), and an 1875 Tyee aluminum hull is listed at 1760 lbs for maybe a couple inches of less boat. The 208 Tyee GL is listed at 2650 lbs, whereas the 2075 Tyee comes in at 2000 lbs. I'd have to think the 500-800 lb difference is noticeable in both ride and trailering.

What does surprise me is how little the difference in weight for a given length of boat in the same series. Only an extra 150 lbs for two extra feet of hull in the glass boats and 240 lbs for an extra 2 ft of aluminum.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the weight differential between glass and aluminum, I was curious. So a 189 Tyee GL weighs 2500 lbs (sans everything you would put on the hull), and an 1875 Tyee aluminum hull is listed at 1760 lbs for maybe a couple inches of less boat. The 208 Tyee GL is listed at 2650 lbs, whereas the 2075 Tyee comes in at 2000 lbs. I'd have to think the 500-800 lb difference is noticeable in both ride and trailering.

What does surprise me is how little the difference in weight for a given length of boat in the same series. Only an extra 150 lbs for two extra feet of hull in the glass boats and 240 lbs for an extra 2 ft of aluminum.

Allen...thinking this variance in weight of the same material varies from manufacturer to manufacturer...

Lund Impact 1775XS 18Ft is 1390 dry weight while the Impact 2025 at 20ft is 1685 dry weight
Tracker 165DeepV at 16ft9in is 1516 dry while the 19ft DeepV is 2227 dry
Crestliner Raptor 17ft 8in is 1870 dry while the 21ft is 2170 dry

Really varies on these tin boats...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Looking @ that ~18.5-19' range dry weight of the hulls:

Yar-Craft 186 1950#
Warrior 1898 2K #
Ranger 619 2275#
Nitro ZV19 2300#

Lund 1875 Pro-V 1710#
Alumacraft Trophy 185 1780#
1850 FishHawk 1720#

250-700#, and, if you ran like/like motor/HP on them I would expect all of the glass boats to outrun their lighter AL counterparts while riding more smoothly and getting better fuel mileage as well.

Get rocky shore landings and gravel roads out of the mix and 'Glass is a no-brainer.

I was a bit behind ndfinfan. Looking @ the Lund Impact 1875 @ 1410#, you could max it @ 150HP, strap a 150 to any of the above 'glass boats, and the Impact will be slower, rougher, and wetter but probably quicker to plane and hold a lower plane speed.

I've posted this many times but here's my basis for 'glass hull efficiency.

My current boat, 186 Yar-Craft Craft, 200HP 3.3L Yamaha w/9.9 Yamaha kicker. 34Gal fuel tank

Previous boat 1850 FishHawk w/150 Suzuki 4-stroke, no kicker. 31Gal fuel tank

Same electric TM on both boats, same number size batteries w/very similar placement within the boat. The layouts and where I store stuff is even very close to the same places.

Current Yar-Craft feeding an extra 50HP and weighing an extra ~600# vs. my '06 FishHawk will run 6-8MPH faster for the same fuel burn. That holds true at virtually any planed out speed. I had/have fuel flow meters tied into the GPS on both boats.

@ 5MPG, the C-liner could run @ 25MPH, the Yar-Craft can go 30-32MPH. @ 4MPG the C-Liner was 32-34MPH Yar-Craft is 38-40MPH. WOT is/was ~3MPG for both boats. The C-Liner would run 42-44MPH the Yar-Craft will run 50-52MPH.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, I forgot to mention that it's also about $10k per additional foot of boat, with the Lunds anyway.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I've got a 2019 Lund 1875 Impact XS with the Merc 150Pro XS...best speed I've gotten with less than half a tank of gas and 1 man in boat@ 185 pounds (I'm down to 176pds now btw)... is 49.4 mph gps indicated...flat lake...little wind. Odd thing first thing in the morning...same conditions...after 10 minute warm up for the motor while I went and parked the truck...running out to fishing spots could only get 48.6 mph gps...then 6 hours later coming back got the 49.4 mph...air temp may have been about 15 degrees warmer...would that have made nearly a mph difference? Couldn't have burned more than 3 gallons of fuel (21 pds). Just really interesting to me...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I've got a 2019 Lund 1875 Impact XS with the Merc 150Pro XS...best speed I've gotten with less than half a tank of gas and 1 man in boat@ 185 pounds (I'm down to 176pds now btw)... is 49.4 mph gps indicated...flat lake...little wind. Odd thing first thing in the morning...same conditions...after 10 minute warm up for the motor while I went and parked the truck...running out to fishing spots could only get 48.6 mph gps...then 6 hours later coming back got the 49.4 mph...air temp may have been about 15 degrees warmer...would that have made nearly a mph difference? Couldn't have burned more than 3 gallons of fuel (21 pds). Just really interesting to me...

Decreased humidity would be my 1st guess given completely flat conditions. Usually the faster speed later in the day would be flat water early and even just a ripple later in the day will speed things up as the hull frees.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting the max speed out of a given setup is amazingly tricky. Even with as little as 1-3 mph breezes make a difference. Lots of boats seem to like a rippling of the lake's surface. With the wind, against the wind (even when it's paltry), not to mention trimming of the motor isn't a deadstop, so there can be a half of a degree difference in angle. All of that makes your 0.8 mph difference within my error in measurement.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

The hotter outside, the better for my 300 Verado. Difference from 40-50 degrees vs 80-90 degrees is about 4 MPH or more.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hotter outside, the better for my 300 Verado. Difference from 40-50 degrees vs 80-90 degrees is about 4 MPH or more.

My Yamaha doesn't like humidity, I can feel it in throttle response and of course see it on the speedo on those nasty muggy days.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy also showed me how adding weight in the stern bumps speed. Next time I try for "max" speed will fill the rear livewell just to see how much of a difference that makes. Last year when I was looking at boats...had narrowed the search down to the 1875 Impact XS and the Alumacraft Trophy and the G3 19SF. Anyway, I had asked everyone what I could expect for speed on the Impact with the 150 ProXS Merc...Lund says 44-53 mph. I just want to scratch 50mph one time and get a pic. So gotta somehow squeeze another .6mph out of her. Think Allen is right...gotta find her "sweet spot"...either with a slight ripple in the water or against.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy also showed me how adding weight in the stern bumps speed. Next time I try for "max" speed will fill the rear livewell just to see how much of a difference that makes. Last year when I was looking at boats...had narrowed the search down to the 1875 Impact XS and the Alumacraft Trophy and the G3 19SF. Anyway, I had asked everyone what I could expect for speed on the Impact with the 150 ProXS Merc...Lund says 44-53 mph. I just want to scratch 50mph one time and get a pic. So gotta somehow squeeze another .6mph out of her. Think Allen is right...gotta find her "sweet spot"...either with a slight ripple in the water or against.

Go fish the river S of Bismarck in the spring. You'll get over 50 going downstream.............

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've never seen increased speed with added weight... when done fishing for the day, i'll pump out the rear livewell on the ride back to the ramp and pick up a mph or 2 when it empties out...

when i'm in really rough water, i'll leave it full and trim up going slow to keep the bow up...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i've never seen increased speed with added weight... when done fishing for the day, i'll pump out the rear livewell on the ride back to the ramp and pick up a mph or 2 when it empties out...

when i'm in really rough water, i'll leave it full and trim up going slow to keep the bow up...

Next time you have someone in the boat with you, get up to wot...check speed...then have passenger move to the stern...sitting down for safety...check speed...might surprise you!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

It depends upon WHERE you add the weight and how everything else is balanced. If you've got a lot of weight in the bow, especially high in the bow, then adding weight @ the transome may add some speed by picking up the nose a bit. If your current setup already gets a lot of the boat out of the water, then adding stern weight may not help.

Nothing about boats is universal except that nothing is universal.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20200615-101100.jpg

I got me a new boat. Who wants to go fishkin

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A few things I see in this thread that could us a little more discussion......

As far as adding weight to the stern to make your boat faster, well it's not so much about adding weight as it is about moving weight and or balance. A lighter boat with the same weight distribution is always faster, that's just physics. shifting weight from the front to the back is more of a balance thing and allows the the bow to run higher and more of the hull is out of the water in-turn leaving less surface drag. Just watch a few tournament take offs, windows latched open, partners sitting against the motor, anything thing that creates wind resistance is on the floor or in a compartment, and no extra seats or gear that isn't necessary (trim weight!). I always get a chuckle out of it because hull design still plays a roll in speed and there are a few factors including hull weight, hull lift, hook, and if it has a pad to run on which is more of a bass boat thing. Our our walleye boats don't have a "pad", they all have some form of dead rise to the to stern of the boat. Bottom line, hp for hp, the same brand boats are always at the front, the rest of the tricks are what separates those to squeak out that last little bit. Want to break 50mph, find a 60 degree day with 20% humidity, leave the windshield open, and take off your TM and TM batteries and let'r rip tater chip. That last few tenths of a mph will be there so long as you don't hit the rev limiter of your engine and you have enough prop.

Second thing, the reason we all see better speeds in the afternoon versus morning is 100% based on humidity. Think of it this way, in order for your engine to run, the pistons compress a specific volume of oxygen and fuel. To an extent, when you add more air, you can add more fuel, and in turn make more power, hence why super chargers and turbos work so well. Ideal Air fuel mixture for a gasoline is considered stoichiometric mixture at 14.7:1. When there is humidity(water) mixed with the air, it's taking up space/volume that could otherwise be oxygen therefor you have less oxygen to complete the combustion cycle. Couple that with the computers that run our engines and monitor exhaust, it will automatically lower the fuel delivery to get the right fuel/air ratio and now your making less power and therefor running slower. You'll make the most power with cool, dense, dry air.

Also be careful when comparing hull weights. There is not industry standard for how to weigh or what is on/in the boat when it's weighed. You'll find a lot of variation in "dry" hull weights between manufactures. For instance, one may do it without the windshield and the other with. When I compared all of the 21 1/2 ft boats 2-years ago there was almost a 1k lb difference between the lightest and the heaviest. Is there likely a difference, absolutely, I just don't believe it's 35% between one and the next of the same size and same hull materials.

Last thing, sign me up for a test drive on that 450R tiller!

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my etec is the fastest when it has fresh 87 fuel and a cool dry fall day.

F150 eco is best when it is below 80 degrees outside - heat less power.

Chevy - doesnt matter -- i think it like heat

Toyota - is toyota it runs the same no matter what

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84