Onboard charger

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't leave mine plugged in, typically only a day or so or until the batteries are charged and then I unplug. in the winter I'll plug it in once a month or a day or two. On occasion if I fish late into the day on a Sunday, I might leave it plugged in for the week but i don't do that very often, maybe 3-4 times a summer.

As far as unplugging the TM, never and I've never had an issue in 15 years of doing so. maybe I'm lucky!

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm wondering if my onboard charger might be shot too. I've been having trouble with my 2 deep cycle batteries running down faster than I think they should and it might be that one wasn't charged at all. I have a volt meter but don't know how to use it. How would it be to put one of those little battery maintainers/chargers on the batteries for a few days after using them? I have a couple of them laying around.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm wondering if my onboard charger might be shot too. I've been having trouble with my 2 deep cycle batteries running down faster than I think they should and it might be that one wasn't charged at all. I have a volt meter but don't know how to use it. How would it be to put one of those little battery maintainers/chargers on the batteries for a few days after using them? I have a couple of them laying around.

check each battery on its own, across the neg and pos terminals

if you test across both batteries that are "daisy-chained" you'll be seeing the combine voltage (>24V) and that won't register on a typical 20V DC setting used on a DC settting of a DVM

- - - Updated - - -

DODdischargeVoltageLoad_logo_OGE.png

- - - Updated - - -

you might see < 12V after a day of trolling

you should see >13 V on both when the charger is charging them

you should see 12.3-12.7 after letting the batteries "rest" after turning off the charger - don't measure them immediatley - it takes a while for the chemistry to equalize and show you what's really goign on as far as stored charge

- - - Updated - - -

check and make sure your batteries are full of fluid - use distilled to top them off - tap/well water can "kill them" with salts/contaminants

- - - Updated - - -

Talons, xi5s, and some other units draw a parasitic charge if they're not disconnected during storage

dumb

- - - Updated - - -

year five of my gels - amazing batteries - it appears they were worth it

- - - Updated - - -

this year for the first time I forgot to unpug the xi5 and it took two days to charge them because they were down to liek 10V this spring (stored outside)

I know spending the winter outside, discharged, would have ruined a normal wet cell deep cycle battery

- - - Updated - - -

weird thing was that when I first hooked up the dual bank it showed "green" for both batteries - which wasn't atypical after a winter of storage

what I didn't know is that they were so EFFED from spending the winter discharged that the current they were taking from the charger was so low/limited that the charger thought they were charged! I took the boat out and found the batteries had nothing. Got home, hooked up charger - and only after about two hours did the charger start showing "red" - indicating the batteries were fianlly drinking in the current. It took > 48 hrs to charge them. Yikes!

Snapper

Minnkota 460PC has a bad bank so I need to replace it. I've looked at noco genius chargers but am wondering what everyone else thinks.

Ive been running a Dual Pro Charging System in my Boats since 2010 with only operator error issues. I switch my breaker to my trolling motor off and switch my main to power to off before charging. Leave mine plugged in till I go fishing and plug it back in when I get back. My 4 Bank Dual Pro Charging System charges the batteries up in the best way as needed and then maintains the batteries till I go out fishing again. I leave mine plugged in over the winter months as well. I like Dual Pro Charging Systems customer service as well, very good to work with and there manuals have good troubleshooting diagrams as well. They are on the expensive side of chargers but, they last way past there warranty. JMO

Snapper

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new power pole charger is bad ass! Charges trolling batteries from the alternator.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been wondering how well those work. That's basically an add on type deal right?

It’s a stand along charging system. Not cheap but it senses the weakest batteries and sends power there. If your cranking batteries are charged well, it’ll send current to the trolling batteries when the alternator is running. Uses the same concept when plugged into an outlet. Also you can download the app and watch which batteries are charging and I believe even change it manually if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark Daniels Jr. Posted a YouTube video on his install.

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your in the Bismarck Dickinson area and need a 3 bank brand new with warranty Minn Kota MK330D for $235 let me know before I send this one back, its $330 plus tax at scheels.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't realize these things went bad and would always be there to charge up batteries, UNTIL...... dead battery 45min into a fishing day. I was stunned! Put the voltmeter to the battery, then came home and put the voltmeter to the charger. Uggh. Time for a new Minnkota 320.

Well, now I have my newest boat at 8yrs. I wonder when this one will be ready to zero out???

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget to water your batteries also. Between my 2 deep cycles they drank about 3 cups of water last fall.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
dont they sell inexpensive devices that charge all batteries when your engine runs -- i am almost positive. Problem is that they closed down a plant in WI that made the only motor that had enough amps to do just that. $1295 omg stupid price

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
also - I can't imagine it charges very fast - needing to get the current from the outboard's alternator

That guy

Honored Member
I have had no problems with my promairner 3 bank charger. Price is right also.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang, I just put a 3 bank in my boat. Never had an onboard charger before. I didn't know they only last a few years. Good to know!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang, I just put a 3 bank in my boat. Never had an onboard charger before. I didn't know they only last a few years. Good to know!

They last way longer than that.

What kills them is sloppy mounting and pounding waves.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
As soon as lithiums get more reasonable I'll be doing a happy dance with lighter pockets all the way to a happier boat life.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66