Onboard charger

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't realize these things went bad and would always be there to charge up batteries, UNTIL...... dead battery 45min into a fishing day. I was stunned! Put the voltmeter to the battery, then came home and put the voltmeter to the charger. Uggh. Time for a new Minnkota 320.

Well, now I have my newest boat at 8yrs. I wonder when this one will be ready to zero out???

aren't there fuses involved with chargers? I'd look into whether it's truly "shot"

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely, check those fuses first of course.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK guys I went to try checking my on board charger with my volt meter to see if it's working but I got no idea what to set the meter on or what I'm looking for. I had recharged the batteries with trickle chargers and according to the meter they have 12.5-13 volts. Do I use the same setting on the meter to check the on board charger? I disconnected the charger from the batteries and plugged it in then tried reading the terminals with the meter but it measures nothing. Tried the meter on the trickle charger terminals but also no reading on any setting. What the hell am I doing wrong besides everything. I have just about enough knowledge about electricity to electrocute myself so I stopped while I was still alive. Am going out again now to see if I can find any fuses somewhere on the 2 bank charger but it's mounted in an awkward place and I may have to take the steering counsul apart to get at it. It really sucks to be stupid.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try to find make/model of your charger and let us know. Manuals available online should tell us about fuses. Reach in and take a smartphone pic of charger if it’s hidden.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes - that meter should read between 12-14V depending on charger on/off, what stage it’s in, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

12.5-13 means they’re not dead, so that’s good.

- - - Updated - - -

did it say 12.5-13 after the trickle charger removed or during charging?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The batteries were charged a couple of weeks ago and still showed 12.5-13 without being hooked up to the chargers. I'll try to find the charger model.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Dual Pro RS3 on board charger. When I plug it in only 1 light says ready. When I put a load tester on it, all 3 batteries are good, and all are full of water. Does this mean my on board charger is bad and needs to be replaced? The charger was installed in 2015. What is everyone's opinion on best replacement if that's what I need to do. Thanks in advance.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 3-bank Mariner charger has 3 lights. A green one meaning that it is plugged into a power source, a red one that says its charging, and a blue one that says its maintaining the batteries. The green one is always on and only one of the red or blue ones are on at the same time. Its a 2011 vintage and I am not sure how to determine if all three banks are good other that test the individual battery voltages. Crossing my fingers that it keeps performing. It is always powered up unless I am trailering or operating the boat. But I do have to add quite a bit of water to the cells every spring which is a pain due to the location of the batteries. Except for them being heavier than hell, it would be easier to remove and fill them.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Double check charger leads at each battery terminal to ensure good connection

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89